We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

FairFX card....any comments?

12346

Comments

  • pcyuljr
    pcyuljr Posts: 115 Forumite
    Hi,

    I have a query relating the usage of this card.

    I am going to Florida next month. All accomodation (inc. Breakfast) and park tickets are paid for.

    I am planning on taking about a £1000 worth of dollars. I am trying to decide whether getting a Fairfx card would be worth it for me.

    Most of our purchases are going to be 'day to day' ones, such as lunch or dinner, snacks etc. As such is it worth having a prepaid card? For example is it accepted protocol wise to pay for a $6 lunch with a credit style card....and what about tips? I assume they have to be cash as opposed to adding it to the electronic bill? The same with buying $5 worth of groceries. Towards the end of the holiday (depending on cash situation) we do plan on making larger purchases on clothes.

    Also we are spending a week with another couple. If we are sharing a bill then is one person using a card and another cash just going to cause more work than neccessary.

    Finally, it appears some people use the card more as a cash point withdrawal one as opposed to a debit/credit one. If it's $2 a withdrawal this appears to be quite an expensive way to get cash. Does the exchange rate given compensate for this and still make it competitive compared to taking pre ordered dollars? If so then this option will be a no brainer as then I get a good rate and can get the cash as it's needed.

    I hope this long rant makes some sense. I am looking for peoples opinions and experience please. Recommendations of how to break down our £1000 would be most be useful!

    Thanks a lot,

    Lee
  • Always_Harassed
    Always_Harassed Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Thanks for all your answers folks. Just spied that you can £7.50 through Quidco too!

    Was going to apply but appears to be only Euro and Dollar and not the Sterling one..

    Was going to buy one to pay for Ryanair flights.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    One more use for any pre-paid card (I use Fair Fx) when you're booking flights/ hotels etc based overseas online and your 'helpful bank' block your normal credit "for your own protection" after you've spent hours finding a bargain my Fairfx always goes through, It may cost me 1.5% more but if I'm saving hundreds of pounds I don't care that much as long as I get the bargain that I want.
  • lorrenna
    lorrenna Posts: 80 Forumite
    from what i have read, i have gone with caxton instead of fair fx. with the usd card, there are no fees for atm's. you have to take the risk of being locked into whatever exchange it is when you credit the card though. which with the way the market is going that might not be a bad thing.
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Was going to apply but appears to be only Euro and Dollar and not the Sterling one..

    Was going to buy one to pay for Ryanair flights.

    What difference does that make exactly?
  • Always_Harassed
    Always_Harassed Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Donnie wrote: »
    What difference does that make exactly?

    There is no point in getting Quidco cash back on a Euro or Dollar one if you have to pay Ryanair in Sterling.
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    There is no point in getting Quidco cash back on a Euro or Dollar one if you have to pay Ryanair in Sterling.

    I understand that...it just seemed to me that you weren't going to get a card at all.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    We have both Fairfx and Caxton cards.

    Both fine, easy to load and withdraw (sounds rude, ooerrr lol!) and would only use those for going away with now.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • uncletomcobbly
    uncletomcobbly Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2010 at 11:34AM
    I'm thinking of getting the FairFx Euro card for a forthcoming trip to France, and transferring funds to it from my Smile Visa Debit card.

    Does anyone know whether Smile will treat that as a currency purchase transaction and hit me with the fees that they apply to other UK Bureau de Change transactions? If they do, it kind of defeats the object of getting the FairFx card, as I'd only be using it for ATM withdrawls anyway - I have a Santander Zero card for purchases.

    (I know I could use the bank transfer option instead, but that's just too long winded for me at the moment)
  • I got a FairFX card for a recent road trip to Spain. Excellent BUT it did not work in 90% of the French peyage toll booths, luckilly I had cash and a standard credit card (which did work) otherwise I would have been stuck.

    Also had a problem in the only pay at pump service station I tried.

    Don't put all your eggs into one basket and you'll be fine.

    FH
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.