We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

FairFX card....any comments?

12357

Comments

  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,936 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    that you can't add more funds for a few hours while they are processing the current transaction and you can't add funds more than 2x in a day.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Im still slightly confused. I have a fairfx sterling card for my flights to Spain.
    Does it work out better value to also have a euro card to withdraw money in Spain ?
    I realise that my £££ card will work abroad and i will be charged at the exchange rate for that day, so whats the advantage of the euro card?
    Also, how does the exchange rate compare to the nationwide debit card?

    Thanks
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,936 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    bestyman wrote: »
    Also, how does the exchange rate compare to the nationwide debit card?

    Thanks

    It's worse - Nationwide gives the bank rate of exchange - you'll unlikely do better on any given day than the bank rate of exchange. Plus since there's no fee for using the Nationwide card it beats FairFX in that respect as well.

    But with a euro FairFX card you will be locking in a rate at the time you purchase the euros - so that rate could be better or worse than the bank rate Nationwide would give you on the day you make the withdrawal.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • jammy123
    jammy123 Posts: 358 Forumite
    bestyman wrote: »
    Im still slightly confused. I have a fairfx sterling card for my flights to Spain.
    Does it work out better value to also have a euro card to withdraw money in Spain ?
    I realise that my £££ card will work abroad and i will be charged at the exchange rate for that day, so whats the advantage of the euro card?
    Also, how does the exchange rate compare to the nationwide debit card?

    Thanks
    I would also like to know the answer to this. I do not have a nationwide card so will be taking about £500 on holiday, so not sure if to take euros with me or get a euro card and load that now.
    Can i just use the anywhere card while i am out there?
    Thank you
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,790 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    One thing is it allows only 16 transactions in one day. But I signed up for more cards, so sorts that problem out. Great rates and works well.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,936 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    ukbill69 wrote: »
    One thing is it allows only 16 transactions in one day. But I signed up for more cards, so sorts that problem out. Great rates and works well.

    Which card ? As far as I know FairFX (at least the USD one) only allows 3 withdrawals a day and 10 within a 4-day period. Do you mean transactions as in using it in shops/restaurants, etc. (I only use ours to withdraw from ATMs but would be good to know anyway). :)
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • wr1ght
    wr1ght Posts: 407 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    i have a fairfx euro card which i used in finland last year with no problems, i went to portugal last week with the same card and it wouldnt work, i emailed and got a reply almost straight away the problem was quickly sorted out so big thumbs from me
  • I ordered the Fairfx card to avoid admin costs as my electron has been phased out. However, yesterday and today I have tried on numerous occasions to book flights to Dublin. Ryanair are declining the card all of the time even though I have sufficient funds in fairfx. I had to pay on my credit card in the end.

    Has anyone else had difficulty using their fx card to pay? Ryanair are rejecting the prepaid card at the moment.
  • wr1ght
    wr1ght Posts: 407 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    lyraswan wrote: »
    I ordered the Fairfx card to avoid admin costs as my electron has been phased out. However, yesterday and today I have tried on numerous occasions to book flights to Dublin. Ryanair are declining the card all of the time even though I have sufficient funds in fairfx. I had to pay on my credit card in the end.

    Has anyone else had difficulty using their fx card to pay? Ryanair are rejecting the prepaid card at the moment.


    contact fairfx and ask them
  • Reported Yeeejo as a spammer as they have similar posts across the board.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.