We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

FairFX card....any comments?

24567

Comments

  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Are you aware what happens if it is stolen? Is it as easy to take money back off it as it is to put it on?
    See http://www.fairfx.com/cardfaq/#dd-23
  • I have 2 Euro cards, the idea being I load one and keep the other spare in my hotel safe then if I get mugged, pick pocketed or lose it anywhere then I report it missing and transfer the funds to the back up card. No need to wait for a replacement.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,936 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    I have 2 Euro cards, the idea being I load one and keep the other spare in my hotel safe then if I get mugged, pick pocketed or lose it anywhere then I report it missing and transfer the funds to the back up card. No need to wait for a replacement.

    Us too, though 2 dollar cards - both are in my name (not sure how easy it is to transfer a balance from one card to another if different names?)

    I'm still not 100% on board with them - we use our FairFx cards for part of our spending money, but as there's no protection for the funds if Newcastle Building Society goes bust...we just can't quite get ourselves to use the cards for the lot.

    Of course next trip we've ordered 1/2 from the Crown Currency Exchange cancelled contracts section and the other 1/2 will be on FairFx..so effectively will have all our holiday spending money in unprotected forms...so we can't be that worried. ;)

    There is a $1000/day withdrawal limit on the FairFX card (also 3 withdrawals per day limit and 10 withdrawals in 4 days limit). Spending limits are different. I haven't checked to see if they have now made this more clear on their website. I agree that a lot of ATMs in a lot of cities wouldn't let you take that much anyway...but in Vegas they will, but the FairFx card won't...and when you don't know that, it can cause you to be a bit panicky when the ATM keeps rejecting your transaction.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • I have 2 Euro cards, the idea being I load one and keep the other spare in my hotel safe then if I get mugged, pick pocketed or lose it anywhere then I report it missing and transfer the funds to the back up card. No need to wait for a replacement.

    Great idea!
  • Mr_Lahey
    Mr_Lahey Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Iva had the FairFX card for 2 years now, in those 2 years ive loaded approx $16,000 across a few cards.

    $16,000 going by today's rates is:

    Travel Agent - £10,810.81
    FairFX - £10,355.99

    Thats a saving of £454.82, or just over $700.

    As you can see, well worth getting.
    The Summer Holiday of a Lifetime
  • Hi
    I have two, one in euros one in sterling, frequent flyer with ryanair. A must have and very easy to load.
  • Gav86
    Gav86 Posts: 80 Forumite
    If we dont have access to the internet on holiday, are we able to just check the balance at an ATM like any other card?
    Also, is there a fee for withdrawing at an ATM?

    Cheers!
  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    to ensure I had no problems when I came to use my card to book rynair flights, I used the card to pay for goods (£20) in M&S
    having checked my fairfx account on line
    I was surprised to find I'd been charged 30p

    however on the plus side, I have just booked flights on Rynair, and checked my fairfx account, been charged £0.57p

    that beats paying Rynair £20
  • niceday999
    niceday999 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    what happens then if you come home off hols and want to get the remaining amount of money off your card ? anyone ?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.