£299.92 laptop at Tesco

Options

Comments

• porkykungfu
    Options
    phoned round a few in the walsall area today but none hd any stock.

anyone know of any in the birmingham area?
  • Happy_saver_4
    Options
    Thanks - at least they're back in some stores. Just have to check the local ones now.

Tesco customer services are terrible at Fforestfach, S. Wales. They put me on hold for 20mins yesterday then they cut me off :mad:
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing
    " Large print giveth - small print taketh away. "
  • makingendsmeet_2
    Options
    I really can't see what all the fuss is about these laptops. Ok so they are under £300 which is fine if you are going to put one in your trolley whilst doing the weekly shop. If you are going to spend half the day on the phone to Tescos CS to find stock then drive 100mile round trip to get one then they are bad value for money. I recently got the other half a Dell Inspiron 1300 direct from Dell for £380 delived ok its £80 more but its much much better spec and I paid £10 extra for the hi-capacity battery which last 4 hours. I buy and sell ex corparate laptops and have done for a number of years. In that time I have seen various makes and models in various states of repair and I must admit Acer are not the worst ones I have seen, the likes of Advent and Meridion are awful. Having said all that in 6 months to 3 years time when your Acer battery is completly dead and belive me it will be and your looking on Ebay for a replacement you'll see your Acer wasn't good value as chinese manufactures only make copies of extremley popular models and a new genuine Acer battery with cost over £100 (yes a third of the cost of a new machine) yet you'll
    be able to pick up a pattened Dell/toshiba/Ibm one for under £50.

So by all means buy an Acer from Tescos if your in the area as it is under £300 but please dont waste time and money hunting them down when you can put that towards a better machine that will be of better spec and last you longer
  • mcwarre
    mcwarre Posts: 835 Forumite
    Options
    Has the Dell battery exploded yet???? :P
    "Success is not to be measured by the position someone has reached in life, but the obstacles he has overcome while trying to succeed." Booker T. Washington

The Official "Why does everyone have 'Official member of....club'?" which tend to be stupid/irrelevant Society. Member No 1 (I am aware of the irony btw)
  • tjfs
    tjfs Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know of any stores who still have any? We're in Cambridge but will be travelling up North on the A1 soon. Also anywhere near Birmingham? Thanks.
  • Fraserca
    Fraserca Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    I really can't see what all the fuss is about these laptops. Ok so they are under £300 which is fine if you are going to put one in your trolley whilst doing the weekly shop. If you are going to spend half the day on the phone to Tescos CS to find stock then drive 100mile round trip to get one then they are bad value for money. I recently got the other half a Dell Inspiron 1300 direct from Dell for £380 delived ok its £80 more but its much much better spec and I paid £10 extra for the hi-capacity battery which last 4 hours. I buy and sell ex corparate laptops and have done for a number of years. In that time I have seen various makes and models in various states of repair and I must admit Acer are not the worst ones I have seen, the likes of Advent and Meridion are awful. Having said all that in 6 months to 3 years time when your Acer battery is completly dead and belive me it will be and your looking on Ebay for a replacement you'll see your Acer wasn't good value as chinese manufactures only make copies of extremley popular models and a new genuine Acer battery with cost over £100 (yes a third of the cost of a new machine) yet you'll
    be able to pick up a pattened Dell/toshiba/Ibm one for under £50.

So by all means buy an Acer from Tescos if your in the area as it is under £300 but please dont waste time and money hunting them down when you can put that towards a better machine that will be of better spec and last you longer

At last someone with some good sense. Its a deal but its nothing special in the present marketplace.
    qui tacet consentire -

Who is silent gives consent.
  • makingendsmeet_2
    Options
    No my Dell battery is fine. Thankfully it an Inspiron 1300 which arnt included in the re-call. I have had a Compaq lithiam battery explode on me before and its a bit of a fireworks show:huh:
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tjfs wrote:
    Anyone know of any stores who still have any? We're in Cambridge but will be travelling up North on the A1 soon. Also anywhere near Birmingham? Thanks.

I spotted this post last night. They had quite a few in stock I believe. Fortunately the store is near me so I got one this morning but may be worth trying other Comet stores. Good luck!
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • vernall
    vernall Posts: 556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tjfs wrote:

How far up north are you travelling on the A1?

i have been working in north yorkshire for a few days and in the town of THIRSK(j49 of A1) there were loads of them all last night in there,all 3 models.....hope this helps someone
  • Gewens
    Gewens Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well one of my laptops have gone back today. It would not Work with the AC adapter pluged in. Phoned Acer and they said it was battery, although i had already tryed another one in it. In the end they said they would bring it in for repair. I said know to this because i have only had it 28 days. Only phoned them because the lady at CS said that if i get any problems then i need to call Acer. Got to tesco and the lady insisted that i needed to call the tesco electrical helpline. She would not take no for an answer and said that it was on the reciept. But its not on their it is the acer one, after that she was more than helpful. Got to find a new laptop now. Dont want to get the same one again. Lets hope dell have some good bank holiday offers on this weekend!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure