New Post Advanced Search

Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

1.8K replies 454.1K views

Replies

• I applied for my charges to be refunded from NATWEST ages ago but got a letter saying something about the court ruling etc so does this mean I will not be getting anything back from them? It was over a year ago I think
  • Hi,
    Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place but haven't been here for a while. Just wanted some advice from all you up-to-date peeps re bank charge reclaiming. The thing is I'm going into hardship (debt management plan) and wondered if I could now claim bank charges from Nationwide (all fell through following court case as with a lot of people) even though I am no longer a customer? Also how do I set about telling them of the hardship I am in? Don't know where to start or if it is worth the effort? Would appreciate some advice.
    Ta!!!!!!!!
  • Natwest have charged us £5 to purchase currency from Thomson Holidays because we used a debit card for this purchase. Does anyone know if this is correct?? Not worth phoning bank as the last phone call on Monday was an absolute waste of time and money. Must bite the bullet and transfer all accounts to another Bank.
  • with specific regard to reclaiming bank charges, I read (or heard) that there was an obscure rule that forbade a bank to make charges against an account that was solely funded by benefits. Can anyone confirm that this 'rule' or 'law' is actually in place or did I dream the whole thing?
    I had an account that was only funded with disability based benefits and 'Barclays' consistently reduced the value of the account and/or increased the amount of unauthorised overdraft through the application of charges.
    I am going to try and recover the cost based on the hardship but it would be so much easier if the 'rule' or 'law' on not applying charges to an account funded solely by benefits actually exists.
    Please help if you are aware of this rule/law.
    Thanks
  • edited 11 August 2011 at 3:28PM
    gilloriengillorien Forumite
    1 posts
    edited 11 August 2011 at 3:28PM
    Hi
    I'm in financial hardship at the moment it seems that whatever I do I can't get anywhere! Benefits are dragging their heels so no money from them, my part me job only just pays enough to repay my council tax arrears, (which are not my fault but the fault of people I lived with but joint and several liabliity means I'm liable!) a bus pass to get to work and my storage fees (which I'm also in arrears with therefore they don't give me access to my stuff and in any case I don't have anywhere to put it or even transport to get rid of it!)

I also have a whole load of other debts which a debt charity is dealing with.

I cant seem to get a full time permanent job, my last one was well paid but an agency term time only job in a college, I have interviews for Asda and a 3 day teaching job and I currently work as a playworker but as bank staff (i.e. I get called when someone is sick). I literally have NO money bar a few coppers in a jar and have been that way now for several weeks its severely depressing me because I am trying so hard to get a job and do all the work I can. Incidentally, I now earn too much for JSA but don't work enough hours for Tax Credits and my wage is insufficient to live on - it s a bit of a black hole I regularly find myself in. (But perhaps that's for another thread.)

I keep getting charged for my direct debts failing, its really not fair because if I cancel my DDs the companies that I owe hastle me with 'breech of agreements' but then they bounce and I get charged. I have a basic account that should not be able to be over drawn but currently is £11 overdrawn (£1 over my buffer zone but incurring a £5 monthly charge) My bank statements clearly lie as one day it says I'm fine then the next all the dates of transactions are different and suddenly I'm overdrawn!

The final straw was today when I got charged for a standing order from one of my own Lloyd accounts to another of my own Lloyds accounts failed.

I am reasonably intelligent and educated but I am dyslexic and aspergic and find all of the budgeting, letters, forms, very confusing and stressful - I just can't focus enough to do anything about it.

My question therefore is is there a charity or organisation that can help me to reclaim charges given my disabilities? Its a difficult process anyway with my added disabilities it becomes a very unfair process.

Can anyone help?
  • I have had a quick look at the posts here & have looked at the updated info. on MSE site, but I'm still not sure exactly how to proceed.

In 2008, I wrote to our bank, Nationwide, to ask them for a list of charges. They wrote back with a list going back to 2002 (the account was opened in 1999).

They advised they were waiting for clarification from the courts. Their website update (dated 25 Nov 2009) says that if you have written to them they will respond in due course, but we have heard absolutely nothing.

Also, the old template letter I used asked for charges going back 6 years. Is it possible now to ask them for charges going back to '99?

We would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.
  • Hello all, new to the forums although I have been on the site many times. I recieved the obligatory letter from Lloyds TSB after the court ruling in 2009 but I am still thinking I might have a case. Going back to 2002 I have had overdraft charges of £4064. Thankfully my financial situation has improved in the last few years and my last charge for going overdrawn was in September 2010 so my worry is that I might not fit the criteria of being in financial hardship. Has anyone got any thoughts? I think I will write to my bank again and then go to the Ombudsman anyway as back when things were really tough, I was struggling to make ends meet. Sorry to put such a general query on here but I was hoping for some feedback on how my plight stacks up. I still have a credit card which is maxed out and pay £200 a month in nursery fees. Thank you for reading this.

Mick
  • Hi Can anyone help me please

Early last year i decided to go through Gladstone Brookes to help me claim back my PPI from Barclays. To be honest i have not been that impressed with gladstone brookes and initially had to constantly chase them and there service was poor. Now barclays have decided to payout on PPI claims for any claim submitted it seems pointless using gladstone Brookes. Doies any one know what the implications are if i write to gladstone brookes and tell them i do not want them to handle my complaint/claim????
  • ally1dally1d Forumite
    31 posts
    jimmyk1973 wrote: »
    I applied for my charges to be refunded from NATWEST ages ago but got a letter saying something about the court ruling etc so does this mean I will not be getting anything back from them? It was over a year ago I think

try and claim again jimmy, when they say that they reject your case- keep complaining and writing letters i have claimed via the hardship route and am currently going through the FOS to reclaim what i can, don't be put off by their first letter keep going!!
  • ally1dally1d Forumite
    31 posts
    Rubyshaker wrote: »
    Hello all, new to the forums although I have been on the site many times. I recieved the obligatory letter from Lloyds TSB after the court ruling in 2009 but I am still thinking I might have a case. Going back to 2002 I have had overdraft charges of £4064. Thankfully my financial situation has improved in the last few years and my last charge for going overdrawn was in September 2010 so my worry is that I might not fit the criteria of being in financial hardship. Has anyone got any thoughts? I think I will write to my bank again and then go to the Ombudsman anyway as back when things were really tough, I was struggling to make ends meet. Sorry to put such a general query on here but I was hoping for some feedback on how my plight stacks up. I still have a credit card which is maxed out and pay £200 a month in nursery fees. Thank you for reading this.

Mick

try writing a financial expenditure/income sheet for yourself, if you are close to equal amount its worth thying to claim again, but make sure that every little bill/piece of shopping you pay for is included, i'm currently doing the same thing but am able to show how close to limit i am