Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

1.8K replies 454.1K views

Replies

• SmamferSmamfer Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi All

Just had my ppi back from Halifax, not as ,much as i expected but still some, will look into the rest

In my complaint to them i also asked about bank charges back,

Anyway last week a lady called me to say she was looking at it and today she called back,

Apologised lots as to how i had been treated by staff at the bank and been told different answers to the same questions etc

But she said basically if i wanted to get any charges back she is not willing or able to discuss any more and to go through the FOS path,

She said she could offer me £40 which had been my charges since March, £5 for the fee this month waivered and £50 for any distress and upset Halifax had caused me as my letter had a few complaints in.

She also stated quite clearly she would not be able to go back to 2009/2010 which i enquired about.

Although i know my charges were much much more than they are offering i dont think i come into this hardship thing, admittedly some was my own bank accounting and financial planning and then a mix up between me and them

Should i just take the money and run?
    ~~Gonna Buy Me A Shrimp Farm Bubba~~
  • JK41JK41 Forumite
    17 posts
    Brand new to the site and a little overawed by it all.
    After a few pointers so i know where to start looking/reading.
    Realised i have Payment Protection Plan on my Barclaycard.
    I think it must have been there since i first had the card almost 20 years ago.
    AMount i pay varies each month dependent on my balance from the look of things
    Is this Payment Protection Plan the same as PPI?
    I was not long out of Uni when i got the card, cant ever remeber being asked if i wanted this PPP or signing up for it.
    So can i try and get these payments back and where do i start?
    Thanks in advance.
  • rachelhenrachelhen Forumite
    546 posts
    ✭✭
    I started a claim for reclaiming PPI with Capital One who say that because it has been clearly shown on my statements that I must have known and also that I agreed to it on the phone. I was working full time for local council and would have got sick pay doesn't sound right to me. I have no recollection of agreeing to it.
  • rachelhen wrote: »
    I started a claim for reclaiming PPI with Capital One who say that because it has been clearly shown on my statements that I must have known and also that I agreed to it on the phone. I was working full time for local council and would have got sick pay doesn't sound right to me. I have no recollection of agreeing to it.

Afternoon rachelhen - you need to look on the PPI thread, which is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169. Posters there are very helpful and will assist you with any queries you have. PPI reclaim advice can be found at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

Good luck! :)

• JK41 wrote: »
    Brand new to the site and a little overawed by it all.
    After a few pointers so i know where to start looking/reading.
    Realised i have Payment Protection Plan on my Barclaycard.
    I think it must have been there since i first had the card almost 20 years ago.
    AMount i pay varies each month dependent on my balance from the look of things
    Is this Payment Protection Plan the same as PPI?
    I was not long out of Uni when i got the card, cant ever remeber being asked if i wanted this PPP or signing up for it.
    So can i try and get these payments back and where do i start?
    Thanks in advance.

Hi JK41 - is your Barclaycard a credit card? My OH had the same terminology on his Egg card and this was PPI. We followed the guidance on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance and posted questions on the PPI reclaiming forum http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169, and were successful in claiming the PPI (+ interest) back.

There are some fantastic posters there, who will help you every step of the way. Good luck. :)

• Hi all, i was wondering if anybody has had any sucess with Nationwide, over the past 6 years they must have had £10,000 off me i am waiting for my statments off them atm, They were always taking every penny that went into my account wages, tax credits and child benefit on charges for bounced dd's and cheques which were bouncing because they were hammering me with charges in excess of at least £300 per month every month. I ended up getting in a lot of debt which i could not pay back because Nationwide were still taking every penny i had and i mean every penny there would be nothing in my bank every week because they took it all. I had to go to court to fight to save my house where i live a single mother of 3 as i could not afford to pay the rent and was getting evicted until my dear old nanna paid the arrears off so we could stay as we had no where else to go. I changed banks last year to Halifax (who are better)(so far anyway) i am still paying off the debts that i got myself into because of Nationwide which is costing me £200 a week to try and clear everything so i am still skint all the time - working 60 hours a week every week to keep my head above water. This is all down to Nationwide taking all my money and putting me in so much debt. I was wondering if anybody has had any dealings with them?
  • JK41JK41 Forumite
    17 posts
    Thanks very much Munro Bagger, i will go check out your directions.
  • ally1dally1d Forumite
    31 posts
    My alliance and leicester account which is now santander has had o/d fees applied to it which i would like to reclaim, does anyone have the address i need to write to them please?
  • roar349roar349 Forumite
    664 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Due an 'offer' in the next couple of days from HSBC (over 4k in charges in the last 10 years or so). No idea what it is yet, but know it's coming as the FOS forgot to include the acceptance of offer form which I received at the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

• roar349roar349 Forumite
    664 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    They've offered £300 as a goodwill gesture! I haven't seen the letter myself yet but it's made me feel pretty sick.