Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• clairebare33
    clairebare33 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 October 2010 at 4:41PM
    Options
    Hi all I am now going to get the ball rolling and apply for all my bank charges back I didnt think i was able to but reading others stories im going to do it. Can i claim back the reserve fee charge that barclays bank puts on my account every month which they charge £88 for also direct debit charges but im always over drawn due to the bank taking out charges never ending circle. I am a carer for my 2 diasabled children and im in a lot of debit because of the bank making charges all the time. well i could certainly do with all my money back they have taken now time to work out how much. Will let you no how i progress. Do i have to write to the bank 1st or do i phone them.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all I am now going to get the ball rolling and apply for all my bank charges back I didnt think i was able to but reading others stories im going to do it. Can i claim back the reserve fee charge that barclays bank puts on my account every month which they charge £88 for also direct debit charges but im always over drawn due to the bank taking out charges never ending circle. I am a carer for my 2 diasabled children and im in a lot of debit because of the bank making charges all the time. well i could certainly do with all my money back they have taken now time to work out how much. Will let you no how i progress. Do i have to write to the bank 1st or do i phone them.
    Hi clairebare33, and welcome to MSE :hello:

Have you read the MSE guide to reclaiming bank charges?
    (link in OP)

Are you in genuine financial hardship?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2428497
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • clairebare33
    clairebare33 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 October 2010 at 5:48PM
    Options
    Hi yes i am in hardship im in a lot of debt and im getting deeper into debt im in rent arrears too. Im finding it hard to pay my utility bills so they are mounting up my sky is behind my mobile is behind i just cant keep up with it all the bank take so much a month from account for charges. im goin to have look at your link thanks.
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Be aware that financial hardship essentially involves two elements.

1. Priority debts (such as the rent arrears you mention)
    2. A reduction in disposable income (such as a loss of job, or recent disability resulting in increased expediture)

If that applies to you, then the MSE article on reclaiming bank charges explains how to reclaim.

You may also want to post over on the Debt Free Wannabe board.
    There are people there who can help you manage your existing finances better.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • VinnieJones
    Options
    i am having anightmare with Lloyds TSB I requested statements 3 months ago and have only now received screen shots.

After 19 phone calls to try and find out the codes descriptions none of them can help me so i thought i would come here.

Does anyone know what
    BRT
    INDV
    mean on the statements they are charges if that helps?
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i am having anightmare with Lloyds TSB I requested statements 3 months ago and have only now received screen shots.

After 19 phone calls to try and find out the codes descriptions none of them can help me so i thought i would come here.

Does anyone know what
    BRT
    INDV
    mean on the statements they are charges if that helps?

If no one at the bank appears to know what the charges relate to, I suggest you reclaim them :)
  • wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Options
    hi all

nat west have accepted financial hardship of overdraft of £2200

have claimed £800 in charges

they have offered £80 goodwill gesture

if filled in goodwill gesture form and returned it
    accepting it but not as full and final settlement

they have returned it to me telling me to resign and send ommiting any other writting on the form

what do i do now
    i need to go for the charges as it will half the overdraft

they are allowing me no interest and payments when i can but obviously this wont last forever

whre do i stand
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wilf55 wrote: »
    hi all

nat west have accepted financial hardship of overdraft of £2200

have claimed £800 in charges

they have offered £80 goodwill gesture

if filled in goodwill gesture form and returned it
    accepting it but not as full and final settlement

they have returned it to me telling me to resign and send ommiting any other writting on the form

what do i do now
    i need to go for the charges as it will half the overdraft

they are allowing me no interest and payments when i can but obviously this wont last forever

whre do i stand

If you want the 80 quid, I suggest you follow their instructions.

If you don't want to accept their offer, tell them.

But before acting in haste, think about how much difference 80 quid will help you in your current financial hardship position you claim to be in.
  • wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Options
    thanks

can i still continue my claim if i accept the £80?

the £80 would just come off the £2200 so i wouldnt see it any time soon anyway it would not have an impact on my hardship as much as i would like it to
    they have said goodwill gesture of charges of last 6 months

if they repaid the charges in full it would pay of getting on for half of the overdraft

thanks guys in advance
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wilf55 wrote: »
    thanks

can i still continue my claim if i accept the £80?

the £80 would just come off the £2200 so i wouldnt see it any time soon anyway it would not have an impact on my hardship as much as i would like it to
    they have said goodwill gesture of charges of last 6 months

if they repaid the charges in full it would pay of getting on for half of the overdraft

thanks guys in advance

You can't carry on with the claim if you accept a payment in full and final settlement.

Any charges refunded is often first used to reduce any existing debt on the account to which the charges originally applied.

It's typical of many recent posts/claims where financial hardship has been agreed, that the refund of any charges (which isn't always granted) is often limited to the last 6 months worth.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback