We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Report Bank Charges successes and failures

1…163164166168169

Comments

  • You had a £1200 overdraft and were not only living in it constantly, you were going over it every month so getting fees. That is not a "very small overdraft" nor were you managing finances well or you'd be in credit with no overdraft - further evidence being the fact you were told you could close the account and pay it off and were unable to do so financially. Being stuck in a cycle of charges and being unable to clear your debt (which is what an overdraft it) is the definition of financial hardship and the bank would have helped. You were in deep trouble (and you seem in denial about that fact) and the extra charges certainly didn't help but again, you could have asked for financial help.

    Your credit rating would have been trashed long before because of the extensive overdraft and the inability to keep in the limit
    Totally incorrect again. I had a free arranged overdraft which was part of the £10 per month account fee.
    The bank changed the overdraft to an unarranged overdraft part way through the account being opened.
    I used the overdraft for a small loan and as it is was only £10 per month, not really a huge amount to borrow by today's standards.

    I refused to pay the increased charges and disputed the overdraft being turned into an unarranged one.
    Not made clear to me when opening the account, apart from possible fee's and charges changing.
    So effectively mis-sold the account and forced me to stop all transactions in and out of the account.
    I also had plenty of income to pay off the overdraft but declined the banks offer and took it to the FOS
    as mis-sold account. Eventually I settled the full amount with the bank.

    You can argue as much you like that the bank operated within regulations but that's not how I see it.
    As far as I see, the T&C's were changed and I disagreed but was prevented from closing the account
    and the debt be passed to a collector. The bank chose to keep the account open for several months
    with the new charges being applied which I disputed many many times by letter and telephone calls.

    Without complaints, there will be no progress.
    Blah Blah.
  • You had a £1200 overdraft and were not only living in it constantly, you were going over it every month so getting fees. That is not a "very small overdraft" nor were you managing finances well or you'd be in credit with no overdraft - further evidence being the fact you were told you could close the account and pay it off and were unable to do so financially. Being stuck in a cycle of charges and being unable to clear your debt (which is what an overdraft it) is the definition of financial hardship and the bank would have helped. You were in deep trouble (and you seem in denial about that fact) and the extra charges certainly didn't help but again, you could have asked for financial help.

    Your credit rating would have been trashed long before because of the extensive overdraft and the inability to keep in the limit
    Totally incorrect again. I had a free arranged overdraft which was part of the £10 per month account fee.
    The bank changed the overdraft to an unarranged overdraft part way through the account being opened.
    I used the overdraft for a small loan and as it is was only £10 per month, not really a huge amount to borrow by today's standards.

    I refused to pay the increased charges and disputed the overdraft being turned into an unarranged one.
    Not made clear to me when opening the account, apart from possible fee's and charges changing.
    So effectively mis-sold the account and forced me to stop all transactions in and out of the account.
    I also had plenty of income to pay off the overdraft but declined the banks offer and took it to the FOS
    as mis-sold account. Eventually I settled the full amount with the bank.

    You can argue as much you like that the bank operated within regulations but that's not how I see it.
    As far as I see, the T&C's were changed and I disagreed but was prevented from closing the account
    and the debt be passed to a collector. The bank chose to keep the account open for several months
    with the new charges being applied which I disputed many many times by letter and telephone calls.


    I have quoted your post, if my post is "totally incorrect" then your original one must also be,

    You're welcome to argue that with the bank, the facts don't agree with you. Good day.

  • I have quoted your post, if my post is "totally incorrect" then your original one must also be,

    You're welcome to argue that with the bank, the facts don't agree with you. Good day.

    OK, sorry you are totally correct and that all this was my fault. I was actually having all the problems that you mentinoned and living off an overdraft. Are you satisfied now.
    Without complaints, there will be no progress.
    Blah Blah.
  • How do you delete a post in this forum? I'd like to remove the original post about the FOS claim.
    I'm tired of idiots replying to it and making decisions about my financial situation.
    Without complaints, there will be no progress.
    Blah Blah.
  • I have recently been awarded £8k+ from Bank of Scotland for excessive overdraft charges on a current account dating back to 2015.

    Whatever your situation is my advice is, challenge your bank and be persistent. Bank of Scotland fobbed me off but the Financial Ombudsman thought otherwise and awarded my case.

    I probably wouldn't have even batted an eye lid if I weren't a member of the website or subscriber of the weekly newsletter.
  • I have recently been awarded £8k+ from Bank of Scotland for excessive overdraft charges on a current account dating back to 2015.

    Whatever your situation is my advice is, challenge your bank and be persistent. Bank of Scotland fobbed me off but the Financial Ombudsman thought otherwise and awarded my case.

    I probably wouldn't have even batted an eye lid if I weren't a member of the website or subscriber of the weekly newsletter.

    Care to post the ombudsman decision / case details
  • Care to post the ombudsman decision / case details
    This is the case published:
    https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/files/314584/DRN-2981906.pdf
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 January 2022 at 12:42PM
    OK so it's actually a financial hardship consideration, not a ruling that the charges themselves were unfair or excessive, but rather they should have taken action about living in the OD. Awarded 8k seems a bit of a strange statement given they were told to remove charges/interest and use them to clear the overdraft and only then were any excess returned. Strange they decided to retrospectively apply the new financial hardship rules
  • OK so it's actually a financial hardship consideration, not a ruling that the charges themselves were unfair or excessive, but rather they should have taken action about living in the OD. Awarded 8k seems a bit of a strange statement given they were told to remove charges/interest and use them to clear the overdraft and only then were any excess returned. Strange they decided to retrospectively apply the new financial hardship rules
    It's still a success regardless.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,872 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    OK so it's actually a financial hardship consideration
    I was initially going to post that the OP should go to the media as they had found a way for a bank to refund due to excessive charges.  Something that is unheard of.    However, as you say, it was just a routine financial hardship case and not a refund for being excessive.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.