PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lentilles vertes and puy (green) lentils

Options
I bought a packet of green lentils a few weeks ago, but have no idea how to use them.

Does anyone have any recipes for them?
Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200

Comments

• Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    I'm using them a lot lately, as one of my lodgers is vegetarian, I cook them as directed on the packet & then I've added them to spagettie sauce to make bolognese & to curry sauce. This way I only make one meal & add the lentils or mince depending on who it's for.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    They are the best of all lentils for holding their shape once cooked. Extra tasty if you cook them in veg stock. I use them in:

lentil bake (add them to tomato/onion sauce with whatever veg I have in - top with butternut & potato mash, sprinkled with cheese)

lentil/bean burgers

bolognese/chilli - I use half and half to bulk out the mince.

Delia online uses them in a posh lentil soup but I haven't tried it yet.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have a recipe for the lentil/bean burgers.

I tried bolognaise this evening and it truned out well.

I am going to try your suggestion of a bake tomorrow, thanks.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Erm, I usually make the burger recipe up as I go along, sorry...

I don't know about quantities, but I put all following veg into food processor and grind til like mince. Put onion + any/all of carrot, mushroom, pepper, maybe a bit of chilli and garlic into frying pan and saute until really soft (no oil added). Mix with lentils (mashed kidney beans or other beans or chick peas also good - in this case I puree half and leave half chunky). Add chilli, cunim, salt and pepper depending on your tastes. Add a handful of wholemeal breadcrumbs, a beaten egg if you want, dependiong on consistency. Shape into burgers and grill or bake. I use a little spray oil, but you could fry if you want.... :)

If you plan to store these for another day then chill them quicly (bear in mind warm veg + egg shouldn't hang around at room temp too long). Freeze really well too.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I made veggie shepherds pie tonight (hankered for it since the F word last week!). Cook around 225g lentils for 45 mins (or following directions on pack) - wish I'd thought to cook in stock, will def do that next time. Andd cook and mash some potatos for the topping. Using Gordon Ramsey's principle, grate an onion and cook gently in some butter till soft. Add a couple of grated carrots and a couple of cloves of crushed garlic. Then add the lentils and a tin of chopped tomatos. Cook for a couple of minutes. Assemble as per shepherds pie, put in the oven at 200 for about 20 mins till the top is golden. Done :)

Gordon would no doubt have a fit at adapting his recipe for veggies :)
  • FBThree
    FBThree Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - I add Green lentils to bulk out curries (veg or otherwise) - and nearly always add some into Thai Green chicken curry.
  • poodlehorse
    poodlehorse Posts: 675 Forumite
    Options
    I tend to make this with red lentils as I always have them (I love lentils) but the recipe does state green, I usually modify this a bit as I tend to add in a tin of tomatoes rather than the whole reserving liquid malarkey. I think this came from a Rose Elliot book many moons ago. When I was on my own I used to make a big batch and have this the first night and then maybe add other things the next for a curry or chilli type thing. I have shoved it in a baked potato too, slurp

Spaghetti with Lentil Bolognese Sauce X4

8-12 oz spaghetti
    ½ oz butter
    freshly ground pepper
    8oz cooked whole green lentils
    2 onions, chopped
    2 tbs oil
    2 garlic cloves
    2 celery sticks, chopped
    2 carrots, finely diced
    2 tbs tomato puree
    salt and pepper
    grated parmesan

Prepare sauce: drain lentils, keeping liquid. Fry onions in oil for 5 minutes, then add the garlic, celery and carrots. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, until tender. Stir in the lentils, tomato puree, seasoning and a little of the reserved liquid to make a thick, soft consistency. Simmer for about 10 minutes, adding more liquid of necessary. Half fill a large saucepan with water, add a teaspoonful of salt and bring to the boil. Add spaghetti and simmer for about 10 minutes, until just tender. Drain the spaghettu, then return to the saucepan with the butter and pepper. Make sure the spaghetti is hot, then turn it out onto a hot serving dish and pour the sauce on top. Serve with parmesan on top.
  • OliveOyl_2
    OliveOyl_2 Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Options
    lentil and aubergine curry (DS's gf is veggie, I'm learning) helped to use up the aubergines that aren't popular in our house. This tastes really meaty :p apologies to veggies, that's supposed to be praise.

Fry onion & garlic, stir in some curry powder & cook for 1 min.
    Add 1 diced aubergine, 1 pint veg stock, 6 oz lentils & simmer for 30 mins (uncovered) stirring regularly. Add 3 1/2 fl oz coconut milk, heat through season & serve with rice.
  • lightisfading
    Options
    Despite being veggie I've never really cooked lentils before (OH likes his vegetarian food to not look vegetarian lol). I have a can of green lentils in the cupboard (part of a wonderful 'homemade' organic/healthy hamper I got for christmas), and was wondering if I could put them in a bolognese? If so, how long do they need to cook, being canned? I'll be doing it with Quorn which is quicker cooking than real mince so some idea as to length of time for cooking would be good :)

Thanks all :)
  • otterspasm
    Options
    Tinned lentils just need heating through really. Just like baked beans. I would add them halfway through cooking so that they don't cook too long and turn to mush. They make a lovely bolognese on their own ie not with quorn, too if you ever fancy doing it that way.

Hope your OH likes it :D
    Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
    Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport