PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lentilles vertes and puy (green) lentils

Options

Comments

• furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just dug some Cooked Puy Lentils out of the freezer, and want to use them tonight - what shall I add to them to make them tasty.
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    puy lentils are delicious, my favourite ways to eat them are in pasta with chopped toms and herbs, in a cold salad with leaves and olive oil, or as part of a stew with gammon/bacon.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    Options
    I love them as a salad with vinegarette dressing... Yummy
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for suggestions, its more of a dressing type thing that I want, as I'm going to have them as a side with pork chops
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've merged this with another puy lentils thread :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Ballymackeonan
    Options
    I've made green lentil and parsnip curry a few times, the combination works well. Or cook the green or Puy lentils, then add to pasta sauce, makes a good veggie lasagne.
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    I read a recipe today which called for 'brown' lentils. Searching the internet, they seem to be the bog standard lentil thats not red. However, I buy lentils in a tin from asda and they are called green lentils. I find on the internet that puy lentils are generally referred to as green lentils but I know that the ones in the tin are not puy lentils as they dont look like them and are dirt cheap so wouldnt be them anyway.

Do you think that the asda green lentils are brown lentils? Are they one and the same?

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923813

* Brown lentil bake with pineapple * (serves 3-4)

1 cup brown lentils, soaked and cooked
    2 tblsp olive oil
    2 onions, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 tsp Italian herbs
    1 tblsp soy sauce
    3/4 cup breadcrumbs
    1 8oz can pineapple rings

(just for clarity and peace of mind, I confirm I will not be adding the pineapple to this recipe)
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    What is the texture of the final cooked dish described as? If it's a meat-loaf kind of thing then it's definitely red lentils. Good call on leaving out the pineapple. Some Americans will eat anything combined with absolutely anything else, it seems.
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    its a loaf i think...
  • twinkle_star_2
    Options
    Brown lentils can be called continental lentils. They're not red lentils -tend to hold their shape a bit better. Green lentils would be a more accurate substitute but if they're meant to smush in the recipe then you could use red.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure