PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lentilles vertes and puy (green) lentils

Options

Comments

• neilersmc
    neilersmc Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    I would imagine as they are canned as part of the canning process they will have already been cooked due to the temperatures involved.

If you look at the instructions on the can it is basically saying to warm them.

So therefore you are talking 5- 10 mins cooking time
  • nell2
    nell2 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    I use the orange lentils in bolognese, so I don't see why green ones wouldn't work. As others have said, if they are tinned they are probably cooked, so check the label.
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    I bought a load of these ages ago because DH had taken a notion for lentil salad. Of course as soon as I stocked up he went off it and now I have about 5 bags of each going out of date . Can anyone come up with anything I could do with them, preferably that might be freezable? And non-meat.

Surprised I couldn't find more threads on lentils really :) I know they're staples for a lot of us.
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 February 2010 at 11:10PM
    Options
    have a look at this http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=8736367#post8736367

its on money savong old style forum index collections then recipes should be loads on there hth

scroll down to beans lentils and pulses recipes are alphabetical
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a load of these ages ago because DH had taken a notion for lentil salad. Of course as soon as I stocked up he went off it and now I have about 5 bags of each going out of date . Can anyone come up with anything I could do with them, preferably that might be freezable? And non-meat.

Surprised I couldn't find more threads on lentils really :) I know they're staples for a lot of us.

Oh I got some of these last week to make a recipe in the Morrisons magazine BUT I haven't yet tried this to know what it tastes like, it just looks tasty!

But if you haven't got the other ingredients it might not be cost effective!!

http://www.morrisons.co.uk/Food/Recipe-search/Index/M/Moroccon-chickpea-lentil-and-spinach-stew/

Or maybe a lentil pate type thing (like the one they sell in Waitrose).
  • sueeve
    sueeve Posts: 470 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2010 at 11:32PM
    Options
    I would cook a load plain and freeze in useful portions; as lentils get older they become harder to soften, and in any case to do a big batch saves a lot on heat and is very handy when you can defrost ready to use/eat
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 February 2010 at 8:21AM
    Options
    I would use the green lentils to make Lentil & Bacon soup. I make a big panful and then freeze in individual portions. I have never used puy lentils so can't advise on those.

Whoops sorry, just noticed you said non-meat!! Perhaps just a lentil soup then?
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • holidaysforme
    Options
    Lentils are fantastic. You can use them in a veggie chilli, or to bulk out a meat one. Puy lentils are particularly tasty, and I make a very nice Delia veggie moussaka with them together with the green ones. They're also good in a veggie lasagne. Hust use in place of minced beef. HTH
    I've never frozen them, but obviously you can do that as well:)
  • Gingernutmeg
    Options
    This is one of our favourite recipes - Lentil Enchiladas (scroll down a bit). They're really tasty, and I bet you could make the filling and freeze it, although I'd leave the avocado out.
  • Claire_DC
    Claire_DC Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Options
    I'm having problems finding somewhere to buy puy lentils... can anybody point me in the right direction please? x
    Lost lbs =
    Gained £s = Quidco £261.90, Free Fivers £22.26, Matched Betting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family