No buying toiletries in February challenge!

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 February 2010 at 3:22PM
    Options
    Re scents I normally have on the go:two florals (one always the same, one any nice rose scent.) These are for normal day wear. I wear them alone or combined, and layer then with either the same or complimentary smells. That way I smell similar, famliar but slightly different and new to my own nose. Signature scents are really quite wonderful, I've just never felt....singular enough to have one!

I also then have an evening/best scent: more sophisticated than the others, more grown up and more complex. This changes with what is available and what I like. At the moment I have a fourth, it was a gift for christmas, someone bought it mistakenly thinking it was the scent I've been wearing ad evening scent recently.. Its nice though, and I'm using it as a smarter day scent. That's it for me. I tend to get a variation by layering cleverly with other things to highlight or compliment different notes in the perfume.

Right, I had to pop out this morning and bought the epilator, and its fine, bit prickly over the ankles and not sure I'm brave enough to try underarms just yet, but on legs its just./..fine. Less painful than waxing! I wish I hadn't been so cowardly before. I'm scared of the sensitive areas mainly because of people's stories, because based on the pain on legs its totally bearable!

The only thing I'd say is that its not as smooth as shaving....I think maybe my stubble is too short? (which might also be why it hurts less, if fewer hairs right less to pull?) Edit: if anyone has any tips I'd be happy to be told what I might be doing wrong!
  • Babafette
    Babafette Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 1 March 2010 at 1:34PM
    Options
    fixx wrote: »
    I love hearing what perfumes people have and what are their favourites... anyone else willing to share?

Sure. :p On my dressing table I currently have:-
    • Opium by Yves St Laurent
    • Cinnabar by Estee Lauder
    • Be Delicious by DKNY
    • Classic by Sanctuary
    • Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker
    • Eau Dynamisante by Clarins
    • Cedrat by Roger & Gallet
    • Flower Princess by Vera Wang
    • Couture by Next
    The Opium and Cinnabar are my favourites, but I do use all the others depending on what mood I'm in. I also love to smell all the perfumes whenever I go to a department store.
    Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.... :/
  • lin.c
    lin.c Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eklynne wrote: »
    Also @ lin.c. I too was obsessed with Obsession! I haven't had any for years now though, but I get all nostalgic when I smell it. Beautiful scent :)
    When it first came out, there was a rash of legitimate smell-alike products like shampoo, conditioner, body lotion etc that came out in America (where I lived at the time), and I bought those as they were well-priced :) But I don't think Mr Klein took to them as they were soon discontinued but being the money saver I was, even at that tender age, I bought up loads of them when they went on clearance ;)
    fixx wrote:
    I love hearing what perfumes people have and what are their favourites... anyone else willing to share?
    My collection:

Obssession - one in use, one on standby :p
    Paul Smith Rose - one in use, two on standby :D
    Rock N Rose
    Parisienne
    Black XS
    Angel (Glamour mag special)
    Chloe (teeny tiny bottle that came with one of the mags which I keep in my bag)
    JLo Glow
    I was really expecting to dislike this one but it's quite nice :o
    Eau de Soap & Glory - just because....
    I can see a very effective ad-campaign with this line judging from all the S & G lovers here....maybe Mr B should take note ;)

Babafette wrote: »
    • Opium by Yves St Laurent
    • Cinnabar by Estee Lauder
    • Be Delicious by DKNY
    • Classic by Sanctuary
    • Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker
    • Eau Dynamisante by Clarins
    • Cedrat by Roger & Gallet
    • Flower Princess by Vera Wang
    • Couture by Next
    The Opium and Cinnabar are my favourites, but I do use all the others depending on what mood I'm in. I also love to smell all the perumes whenever I go to a department store.
    I really like your selection, especially the first 4 :D
  • Need_a_break
    Options
    Hi ladies still catchin up but here goes..
    peedie wrote: »
    Hiya lin.c No have been here since the last thread in Jan.....to the extent that using up my stuff has become such a habit I'm not always aware that it seems odd to others.

yesterday my line manager asked if I was OK. I was seen in the week using some face wipes to clean my desk. I did not want to bin them and I don't like them on my face so thought I'd take them to work no one wanted them so thought that they would be useful for cleaning my work area:D
    Later was seen listing the hand creams in my draw (4) all part used, then talking to myself about a stash and what one will be finished soonest.:D:D:D

I think she was concerned that work pressure was getting to me. I was soooo embarrassed trying to explain my actions. At the end we were talking 'bout her stash and the things we like and want to try. Hate to admit it but she is such an amateur.
    :rotfl::rotfl:, i needed a giigle thanks xx
    I could have sent you some. :(. Its going off to my niece on tuesday now.

she's not going to need any tanning products till she's my age....(half a dozen bottles I've used once or twice).

BT, I'm I the only person who manages to streak using gradual tanners? I'm pale, but seriously, I thought these things were meant to be subtle!

Ah you are so sweet, we have a lovely bunch of ladies on here and i really enjoy listening to all the different reviews etc.
    Hi everyone. Am loving this challenge! Have used a few things up and thrown away a Boots tinted moisturiser which was far too dark for me and smelt funny. Still, I considered keeping it!

The other day I was talking about perfume with a colleague and I said I was not allowed to buy any, even though there were some great (50% off!) deals on as I had about 15 bottles I'm trying to use up. My colleague was amazed, he said most people have one, then when it's finished, they buy another one. Really?!?

Today I'm about to start using a Clarins face wash, usually I would keep it for years, (as if it's too good to actually use it) using the cheaper ones and then it would go off. Madness!

Keep up the good work everyone!

This says it all:D
    You laugh because I'm different......I laugh cause I just farted!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. (A.C)
  • beautyaddict
    beautyaddict Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2010 at 4:50PM
    Options
    I bought Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Face Wash yesterday as a change from Dermalogica Ultracalming Cleanser, which I love.

I have used up in the past few days:
    Naked face mask sachet. WIBA: No, I got it on offer ages ago, and it is sticky and doesn't do much for my skin.

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream. WIBA: Yes, I already have another tube ready to open. I love to use this as a lip balm on winter mornings, it's really soothing.

TBS Passionfruit body butter. WIBA: No, but as those of you who have seen my stash photos will know, I already have a few more to get through and I'll be bored of it soon :o.

L'Oreal Refinish exfoliator. WIBA: If it was available, yes, as it is amazing, but unfortunately it has been discontinued :(.

I own over 20 perfumes; I wear a different one each day depending on my mood. I currently have:

Prada 50ml - I love this. My original bottle was a gift, I have repurchased it.
    Prada Tendre 80ml - Got this by mistake thinking it was the above! It's ok, but won't repurchase.
    Gucci Eau De Parfum II - This is quite nice, but I won't repurchase.
    Angel - A gift. I love this but it's too strong to wear frequently. Will buy again.
    Escada 75ml - nice but won't repurchase
    Kenzo Flower 100ml - I love this, have repurchased and will continue to.
    Kenzo Flower 3 x 15ml (as above)
    Ghost 50ml - I love this and will repurchase.
    Ghost Cherish 50ml - I love this and will repurchase.
    Ghost Luminous 50ml - A gift, quite nice but I won't repurchase.
    Marc Jacobs Lola 100ml - I love this and would repurchase.
    So Oscar De La Renta 50ml - A gift. Quite nice, but won't repurchase.
    Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb 50ml - Quite like this, not sure if I'll repurchase though.
    YSL Elle 50ml - A gift. I love this, and would definitely repurchase.
    YSL Elle 3 x purse sprays (as above)
    Thierry Mugler Alien 30ml, A gift. I love this and would definitely repurchase.
    Thierry Mugler Alien Luminescente 50ml - Lovely for the Summer but was limited edition.
    Thierry Mugler Alien purse spray (as above)
    Elizabeth Arden Green Tea 100ml. I really like this for the summer, and would repurchase.
    Elizabeth Arden Red Door 50ml. A gift, it's quite nice but I won't repurchase.
    Versace Woman 50ml. A gift. Really nice, I might repurchase.
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil - I really like this, and would repurchase.
    Narciso Rodriguez For Her 50ml - quite nice but I probably won't repurchase.

Solid perfumes:
    YSL Elle handbag charm (as above)
    YSL Elle Intense (as above)
  • Little_Chicken
    Options
    Morning all - used up a 2-in-1 facial cleanser today and I have a toner that's about to run out.

I've just booked in for a facial - one of those where you get the cost off any products that you buy which means...I will be buying products.:eek::eek::eek:
    :grin: Save me from spending...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004:T 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 :j 2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 :beer: No 195 Target £1k
  • HappyLottie
    Options

BT, I'm I the only person who manages to streak using gradual tanners? I'm pale, but seriously, I thought these things were meant to be subtle!

I thought this was just me! I always manage to end up streaky. If anyone has any tips please share them with me. I want a light tanner for my legs for summer- but they are usually too dark or end up streaky orange (even the moisturisers such as Johnsons and Dove!) I'm very pale- think Nicola Roberts pale.

Re: perfumes
    I currently have on the go:
    - DKNY Be Delicious (seems to be a lot of us on here with this)- bought in sale- everyday use
    - Chanel Chance- given as gift
    - Jean Paul Gaultier Classique- gift (love this, so am trying to make it last- for special occasions)
    - Charlie Pink (for everyday use)
    - Body shop vanilla- gift
    - Pacorabanne ultraviolet

Would love the Soap and Glory one (have mist you madly), but can't justify spending anymore money at the moment.

Lottie x
  • Need_a_break
    Options
    Still not caught up but .....
    Sophy wrote: »
    That's just weird! Maybe people did that in 1950, but not now, surely :eek: I do want to use up my perfumes and diminish my stock, but I can't see myself ever having less than 3 or 4 on the go at one time - I like some variety, and can't imagine wearing something heavy in the summer, or floral in the winter, for example. I suppose there are some 'signature scent' people out there, and its different for them?
    This is so true, especially like you say when the weather changes, you dont want to be wearing something very heavy on a fresh spring day, well at least that my thinking .
    I have over 20! :o
    To be fair, lots were gifts, and scents I would probably never choose myself. I generally rotate 3 at a time. I really should give some away as there are definitely some in the stash I'll never wear. I have 2 Burberry perfumes that I've never even smelled but just know I won't wear. The whole Burberry thing is just really offputting to me :(
    I bet they smell lovely too :(

Also @ lin.c. I too was obsessed with Obsession! I haven't had any for years now though, but I get all nostalgic when I smell it. Beautiful scent :)

I have a problem with the burberry image too and i know some of it smell good, as a collegue of min use to wear it.
    Re scents I normally have on the go:two florals (one always the same, one any nice rose scent.) These are for normal day wear. I wear them alone or combined, and layer then with either the same or complimentary smells. That way I smell similar, famliar but slightly different and new to my own nose. Signature scents are really quite wonderful, I've just never felt....singular enough to have one!

I also then have an evening/best scent: more sophisticated than the others, more grown up and more complex. This changes with what is available and what I like. At the moment I have a fourth, it was a gift for christmas, someone bought it mistakenly thinking it was the scent I've been wearing ad evening scent recently.. Its nice though, and I'm using it as a smarter day scent. That's it for me. I tend to get a variation by layering cleverly with other things to highlight or compliment different notes in the perfume.

Right, I had to pop out this morning and bought the epilator, and its fine, bit prickly over the ankles and not sure I'm brave enough to try underarms just yet, but on legs its just./..fine. Less painful than waxing! I wish I hadn't been so cowardly before. I'm scared of the sensitive areas mainly because of people's stories, because based on the pain on legs its totally bearable!

The only thing I'd say is that its not as smooth as shaving....I think maybe my stubble is too short? (which might also be why it hurts less, if fewer hairs right less to pull?) Edit: if anyone has any tips I'd be happy to be told what I might be doing wrong!

I love how you mix and match, layer your scents to make new combos, its very creative and i feel quite inspired to do the same, especially with things that im maybe getting bored of or going off, it may help revive them a bit, thanks

Nab

xx

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. (A.C)
  • Need_a_break
    Options

TBS Passionfruit body butter. WIBA: No, but as those of you who have seen my stash photos will know, I already have a few more to get through and I'll be bored of it soon :o.

L'Oreal Refinish exfoliator. WIBA: If it was available, yes, as it is amazing, but unfortunately it has been discontinued :(.

I own over 20 perfumes; I wear a different one each day depending on my mood. I currently have:

Prada 50ml - I love this. My original bottle was a gift, I have repurchased it.
    Prada Tendre 80ml - Got this by mistake thinking it was the above! It's ok, but won't repurchase.
    Gucci Eau De Parfum II - This is quite nice, but I won't repurchase.
    Angel - A gift. I love this but it's too strong to wear frequently. Will buy again.
    Escada 75ml - nice but won't repurchase
    Kenzo Flower 100ml - I love this, have repurchased and will continue to.
    Kenzo Flower 3 x 15ml (as above)
    Ghost 50ml - I love this and will repurchase.
    Ghost Cherish 50ml - I love this and will repurchase.
    Ghost Luminous 50ml - A gift, quite nice but I won't repurchase.
    Marc Jacobs Lola 100ml - I love this and would repurchase.
    So Oscar De La Renta 50ml - A gift. Quite nice, but won't repurchase.
    Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb 50ml - Quite like this, not sure if I'll repurchase though.
    YSL Elle 50ml - A gift. I love this, and would definitely repurchase.
    YSL Elle 3 x purse sprays (as above)
    Thierry Mugler Alien 30ml, A gift. I love this and would definitely repurchase.
    Thierry Mugler Alien Luminescente 50ml - Lovely for the Summer but was limited edition.
    Thierry Mugler Alien purse spray (as above)
    Elizabeth Arden Green Tea 100ml. I really like this for the summer, and would repurchase.
    Elizabeth Arden Red Door 50ml. A gift, it's quite nice but I won't repurchase.
    Versace Woman 50ml. A gift. Really nice, I might repurchase.
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil - I really like this, and would repurchase.
    Narciso Rodriguez For Her 50ml - quite nice but I probably won't repurchase.

Solid perfumes:
    YSL Elle handbag charm (as above)
    YSL Elle Intense (as above)

Ooh i like your style.

Right my perfumes have changed completely this year compared to last and at the moment i have

Coco Chanel edp adore this
    Magnifique Lancome again very lovely and sophisticated
    Bulgari Omnia jade nice and fresh for me( lighter fragrances often smell carp on me)
    Caroline Hererra sexy 212? Very delicious smelt this on a friend and now luv it
    Ralph Lauren notorius bit musky but still like it loads
    Dolce & Gabbana The one like this loads
    Idylee by Guerlain (i love guerlain inc Samsara, mistoki? etc)

I do need some more lighter fragranes with summer coming up, but as i mentioned i struggle to find ones that suit my skin.

Well done Skapps and Peedie on your zero spends, plus Melonade hope your dog is ok and you get your jacket soon. Also Loopylyn??(sp) hugs to you sweetie, tomorrows another day ( i live by this).

Also i bought some bidari shimmer powder for £2.50 sorry:o

• Blonde_Ambition
    Options
    So, it sounds as if I'm not alone in having a few perfumes! I was chatting to a friend last night and we decided that 6 or so would be the absolute minimum, as you need something different depending on your mood. Though I suppose I'm not exactly going to find many make-up minimalists on this thread! Here's to having too many perfumes!
    Clothes challenge 2011 £254.08/£500!!!
    Toiletries challenge 2011 Trying!
    :j:T:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills