Will pre-paid mispriced hotel room be honoured?

Last night I was using Travelsupermarket.com to find me a relatively inexpensive hotel in London in June and to my surprise four different agencies were showing a price of about £20.00 for a certain 5 star hotel in Mayfair. I thought there is no way they will accept such a booking, however I thought it worth a punt, so I gave my credit card details to one of them to pay immediately in full, I received an acknowledgement of my booking and then shortly after that a confirmation e-mail including the hotel voucher to hand over on the day of the stay. It stated "YOUR BOOKING IS CONFIRMED AS FOLLOWS... [blah, blah]". Shortly after that the price on all four agencies shot up to about £200.

Now, I know it is a long shot that this will not be cancelled in due course, but as they have claimed payment and sent me a confirmation email with the voucher is this legally binding? I guess probably not as they have the following clause in their T&Cs:

"Where inaccuracies relate to the understatement of the price of a specific product you will be offered either a full refund of money paid on that booking only or the opportunity to maintain that booking on receipt of the additional payment which is necessary."

What do people think? Do I have a chance?!

Comments

• zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    In the light of the T & Cs I would think it unlikely but, as you say, worth a punt.

Having said that, I did book 5 hotel rooms in a 4* central Madrid hotel a couple of years back for £28 per room. You could tell at reception that they were a bit surprised but they didn't argue.
  • zenmaster wrote: »
    In the light of the T & Cs I would think it unlikely but, as you say, worth a punt.

Having said that, I did book 5 hotel rooms in a 4* central Madrid hotel a couple of years back for £28 per room. You could tell at reception that they were a bit surprised but they didn't argue.

If you pre-pay and hand over a voucher at reception I am not sure the staff know how much you paid - it doesn't say the value so on the voucher, just that you have pre-paid for the room. My god, if the voucher did state that I had paid only £20 for a £320 room there is no way I would turn up, no way, I would be totally embarrassed. I can just imagine the seething look of hatred I would get from the receptionist, rightly thinking "how dare this scruffy scum turn up to a 5 star hotel at this price, lowering the tone"!
  • Foggster
    Foggster Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    If you pre-pay and hand over a voucher at reception I am not sure the staff know how much you paid - it doesn't say the value so on the voucher, just that you have pre-paid for the room. My god, if the voucher did state that I had paid only £20 for a £320 room there is no way I would turn up, no way, I would be totally embarrassed. I can just imagine the seething look of hatred I would get from the receptionist, rightly thinking "how dare this scruffy scum turn up to a 5 star hotel at this price, lowering the tone"!

Just because they work in a 5* hotel certainly doesnt mean they earn a 5* salary and I doubt they would have the airs and graces of which you speak of to give seething looks.

Good Luck Sittin Pretty :T
  • Foggster wrote: »
    Just because they work in a 5* hotel certainly doesnt mean they earn a 5* salary and I doubt they would have the airs and graces of which you speak of to give seething looks.

Good Luck Sittin Pretty :T

You're right! I think I've been watching too much Hotel Babylon.
  • Whose T&C's are you quoting in your original post?
  • JamieT1977 wrote: »
    Whose T&C's are you quoting in your original post?

Travel Republic.
  • Travel Republic.

I take it they are one of the 4 agencies who showed this price?
    Did all 4 agencies then shoot the price up, soon after?
  • Also do you have the names of the other agencies who showed this low price?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    T&C or no T&C, it's unlikely that the contract could be enforced given that it's a glaring error.

OTH it could have been a special offer for one room only?

If travel republic don't notice the error quickly (say a week or two) you will get the room - after that it's unlikely that they will notice anything has happened.
  • and the fact other agencies had it at the same price, seems in your favour
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport