We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Parents Club Part 10

1…234235237239240…1183

Comments

  • SugarSpun
    SugarSpun Posts: 8,559 Forumite
    redmel1621 wrote: »
    Wow, how fantastic. I knew it all sounded fascinating when I have caught snippets of what you are doing:) How long ago did you complete your phd?

    I am having a kind of career wobble atm, not that I have one yet! The career I was working towards doesn't seem to appeal in the same way it did a few years ago.... As soon as I get the Internet back on I can get looking into it again and hopefully decide whether to continue or alter course slightly!

    Mel x

    I finished two years ago, then did the corrections and finally did the gown and walk bit in February last year.

    But before I had this job I had a totally different career plan in mind. While I was writing my thesis I worked for a TV company, I started out doing dogsbody stuff and because it was a small company ended up a production manager. But I just couldn't deal with the 20-hour days when there was work followed by expanses of time with no money coming in so I applied for and got my last job (purely for the money while I waited for the start date for this one) and then this one.

    What are you contemplating leaving and what would you do instead?

    TIA - where have you been all day?
    Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: £193.75; Saved from RRP £963.76
    Three gifts left to buy
  • boogellyboo
    boogellyboo Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Weezl - thank you for your tip this afternoon. I used the pokey tool (it is really called that!) and Isla now has one sheepskin boot. I just need 5 mins to sew the other one up :)

    OH's - mine does all the washing, most of the cooking and keeping the kitchen sorted and lots of other stuff. I feel bad at the minute as the house is a state but I never seem to get anything done in the day. I need Isla to start having daytime naps that aren't in the sling or on my knee :o
    Belly Monkey arrived 19.11.09 :j
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SS, Dowstairs :D Checked emails earlier but the children were being demanding. Only here now cos Amber woke up for a big burp. Hows you? I'm missing so much with my laptop being broken (and DH faffing about with a 'mate' going to 'look' at it).
  • boogellyboo
    boogellyboo Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Caz it's meant to be trade only where I work, I've just found them online and their £10 for 2 :eek: Im sure their lots cheaper at work so if your not in a huge rush I can check on Friday as Im going into work then.

    http://www.whatlock.com/how/index.php
    Belly Monkey arrived 19.11.09 :j
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,010
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    No I don't mind, we're all friends here - right!

    I was hoping/planning to become a secondary school English teacher. I think it is the fact that teacher training is to be cut and that there is becoming a surplus of teachers as everyone(like bankers etc) has decided to jump in and have a go!! Probably because they see it as a 'safe' income. I on the other hand love the job and couldn't really care less about the wage. Yet on the other hand it is being maintained that we need to increase the standard of teachers and make it a respected position again!!!

    I just feel there is so much beaurocracy and contradiction within the profession that I am not sure I want to get involved in *and breathe* lol

    I have always enjoyed languages and writing so maybe one of those paths is for me now?

    Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mel, come on spill, what are you working towrds? I'm debating getting my HNC in applied sceinces and then just getting a job in a lab somehwere close (there is an animal research place close by as well as the hospital with the big lab) rather than getting a degree. Seems soo far to travel every day to the uni I'd have to go to.
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can you use the teaching training towards anything else? Or could a language qualification get you into teaching?

    Am I right that a degree in a subject can allow you to teach it??

    What about further education teaching? Core skills at college level and what not?
  • Yay for a fab TC meet! :j Who was in charge of group photo? ;)

    Jamie's eyes and nose were running this morning so I called the surgery and the nurse cancelled his jabs. We're scheduled for Monday now.

    We also have tooth number 12 :D:D

    I didn't get my ears peirced until I was around 14 and it hurt like hell! :o. There is no way I would let Poppy have hers done until well into her teens :). I hardly ever wear earrings but did so on Friday evening whilst out with DH. I'm pretty sure I had to re-peirce them! _pale_. Did anyone else do the £25 Hot Diamonds codes a while back on Grabbit? I waited for their half price sale and got the earrings free! :cool:

    Glam, this probably shows alot about me but I would dine like a queen at lunchtime and leave DH a tin of (value) soup and a bowl on the table! You do so much and are always making lots of fabulous meals that I'm very annoyed on your behalf :o.

    xx
  • cazscoob
    cazscoob Posts: 4,990 Forumite
    boo that would be great if you could get me them i would need 6 and could transfer money or fairy post it to you asap! i dont think another few days will make much difference lol!
    What's for you won't go past you
  • BrunoM
    BrunoM Posts: 1,722
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Caz, we use http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000NCAES8/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

    which can require a bit of thumb strength but are good because they can fit almost any cupboards and doors (oven, fridge, etc).
    aless02 wrote: »
    DK - I used to work just off Victoria Street (before my mat leave), so we must've passed each other all the time! ;)
    Really - i work just opposite the Treasury and St James' park. The one good thing about being back at work is popping to the Victoria Street shops at lunch without being burdened with a bump or buggy - although when I see parents out with their kids there it looks so out of place it makes me want to have my girl with me!

    I work on Buckingham Palace Road, just round the corner from Victoria St!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.