Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• londoninvestor
    Options
    So i am guessing a cab from Newark to Union Square would have been at least $70-

At least - I think Newark to midtown was $90 last time I did it, that was about 3 years ago though.
  • gracie10
    Options
    Greenface thanks for your reply, we have booked Hilton Garden inn Midtown/Park Avenue. Will have a 13 and 10 year old with us. Want to avoid Time Sq as much as possible.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    gracie10 wrote: »
    Greenface thanks for your reply, we have booked Hilton Garden inn Midtown/Park Avenue. Will have a 13 and 10 year old with us. Want to avoid Time Sq as much as possible.
    difficult as NYC will be mad . time sq madder . what about heading for a late river cruise to watch some fireworks , your staying around the flat iron so plenty of family restaurants to choose , I would book to avoid any issues . not sure if you fancy a bit of church . st pauls by the freedom tower will have something . st john the devine would be very good but that's the other side of time sq than you. there will be shows off broadway . ive never been to NYC or usa for NYE and wouldnt like the craziness of it all .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • AcademyCake
    Options
    Hi all - just signed up to the site after many years of browsing!

I did NYE in NY a few years back, and did the Midnight Run in Central Park which was good fun. It starts at midnight, with fireworks going off and is really good fun without the stress of Times Square (having to stand there all day, all the security etc). Lots of people in fancy dress, fireworks, drunk people cheering you on from the sidelines along the way etc. It does involve a 4 mile run, so if this isn't your thing might be better to spectate, but we did it at an easy pace and enjoyed the event! It's open to kids too, so can be a family event. Last year had about 4000 runners taking part I believe. We went for a beer and cake at a diner nearby on our way back to our accommodation in Brooklyn, having eaten earlier in the evening. I can't post the link as I'm new, but just search for NYRR + Midnight Run.
  • Jackson7148
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this thread is still used but me and the Mrs are off to NYC from 17th April 19 - 23rd April 19. I've read the majority of this thread (taken a few weeks) and am interested if anyone knows of any websites or where to look for live shows/performances. Big or small we are not too bothered but wanted to see if there was anything of interest on anywhere when we are in NY. I have had a look on the Bowery ballroom website but couldn't find anything for our dates that takes our fancy.

Any help is appreciated.:)
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this thread is still used but me and the Mrs are off to NYC from 17th April 19 - 23rd April 19. I've read the majority of this thread (taken a few weeks) and am interested if anyone knows of any websites or where to look for live shows/performances. Big or small we are not too bothered but wanted to see if there was anything of interest on anywhere when we are in NY. I have had a look on the Bowery ballroom website but couldn't find anything for our dates that takes our fancy.

Any help is appreciated.:)
    A lot depends on what you like . where you are staying . Some smaller venues have decent live music etc . iom not really into American comedy or grunge /hip hop / too heavy metal shouty bang bang thrash type of . If I was going for your dates and staying Manhattan around SoHo or nearby look into the Loft at the Winery ,, https://concertfix.com/concerts/new-york-ny+the-loft-at-new-york-city-winery If (like me ) your a Clapton fan . Bell bottom blues are playing Friday night . Ive been to the place but not seen them . The bar has a decent vibe , feels fairly safe inside . Different things on for your dates . Give us a little info on whats your thing . Any kids . sort of ages going and I will have a think
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Jackson7148
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    A lot depends on what you like . where you are staying . Some smaller venues have decent live music etc . iom not really into American comedy or grunge /hip hop / too heavy metal shouty bang bang thrash type of . If I was going for your dates and staying Manhattan around SoHo or nearby look into the Loft at the Winery ,, If (like me ) your a Clapton fan . Bell bottom blues are playing Friday night . Ive been to the place but not seen them . The bar has a decent vibe , feels fairly safe inside . Different things on for your dates . Give us a little info on whats your thing . Any kids . sort of ages going and I will have a think

Thanks Greenface,

We're staying in Midtown, but we're not bothered about travelling. We will be buying a week Subway pass so will have access to most areas easily enough.
    We are 32 & 28, no kids with us. To be honest we're both a fan of almost any music (maybe not anything to heavy metal :eek:). I'm going to sit down with the Mrs tonight and have a look on that website you suggested and see what else is available on the dates we're in NYC but I do like a bit of Rock so maybe the Bell Bottom Blues is the one we will go for.
    Thanks for your help! :rotfl:
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Apologies if this has been asked before...

Is it worth paying £80ish (for 2 adults) for bus transfers from JFK to Manhatten or is there a decent train/subway route?
  • Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apologies if this has been asked before...

Is it worth paying £80ish (for 2 adults) for bus transfers from JFK to Manhatten or is there a decent train/subway route?

You could get a taxi direct to your hotel for about $80! definitely not worth paying that much for I presume a shared mini bus transfer?

I just use the subway for a few dollars each (think it was about $7 last time I went, may have risen a bit with inflation since then) and perfectly fine and easy to navigate, though many stations only have stairs so may be difficult if you have lots of luggage or mobility issues.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Duckyduck wrote: »
    though many stations only have stairs so may be difficult if you have lots of luggage or mobility issues.

We travel light these days with just a rucksack each. Thanks - I've been caught out with transfers before, finding out how easy & cheap it would be to do myself once I got there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure