Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    LadyL2013 wrote: »
    This may sound like a stupid question but is the city busier on weekdays or weekends?
    great question to which i honestly dont properly know the answer . NYC is more populated in the week but its a working city and work has to go on . Tourists travel into NYC and want to do touristy things at weekends so it seems busier and probably is . Early and late big touristy things can be much better and you get to enjoy the flow of the place better too.joy the
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • purplemusky
    purplemusky Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi - i'm after some help and advice. We want to go to NYC next February to celebrate my 40th, there will be me, husband and our two boys aged 13 and 8 when we travel. It's our first time and we want to do all the normal tourist attractions as well as have a good shop.

Not too bothered if we have a hotel room or a suite. Looking to fly from Manchester and will either go 3 Feb 2015 for 4 nights or maybe half term later that month.

What should I expect to pay for flights and any suggestions on somewhere good to stay, and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Claire
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2014 at 7:11PM
    Options
    Hi - i'm after some help and advice. We want to go to NYC next February to celebrate my 40th, there will be me, husband and our two boys aged 13 and 8 when we travel. It's our first time and we want to do all the normal tourist attractions as well as have a good shop.

Not too bothered if we have a hotel room or a suite. Looking to fly from Manchester and will either go 3 Feb 2015 for 4 nights or maybe half term later that month.

What should I expect to pay for flights and any suggestions on somewhere good to stay, and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I'd say budget £450 pp for flights and £200 per night per hotel room. It might work out cheaper booking both together via someone like BA (BA Holidays sometimes appear on Top Cashback, we got 5% back last year). Flights will probably cost £550 pp at the moment.

Manchester does have a daily direct flight or two, although it can be cheaper to get a connecting flight into Heathrow and on to New York.

I'd suggest a hotel as close as possible to Times Square but a mile in any direction combined with a good walk should cover it. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown West which was fine if unspectacular and needed a lot of walking. But there are scores of other hotels.

But NYC is best seen on foot.
  • purplemusky
    purplemusky Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd say budget £450 pp for flights and £200 per night per hotel room. It might work out cheaper booking both together via someone like BA (BA Holidays sometimes appear on Top Cashback, we got 5% back last year). Flights will probably cost £550 pp at the moment.

Manchester does have a daily direct flight or two, although it can be cheaper to get a connecting flight into Heathrow and on to New York.

I'd suggest a hotel as close as possible to Times Square but a mile in any direction combined with a good walk should cover it. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown West which was fine if unspectacular and needed a lot of walking. But there are scores of other hotels.

But NYC is best seen on foot.

Thanks for your response. Those are prices I thought for flights. Which airport is best to fly into?
    Claire
  • PeacefulWaters
    edited 21 March 2014 at 7:42PM
    Options
    Thanks for your response. Those are prices I thought for flights. Which airport is best to fly into?
    Newark is cheaper to travel in to NYC from, and I think there's a cheapish public transport option.

So we ended up paying $70 each way, including tip, for a taxi to / from JFK.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    We want to go to NYC next February... and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
    This is a useful YouTube video which explains how to ride the NYC subway system:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayp0ZUjfZRA
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • x0emz0x
    x0emz0x Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Finally booked the flights last month! 2 months to go so very excited!

I just have a question regarding spending money. Our hotel includes breakfast, so that is all sorted and I have also pre-paid for most of the attractions we want to visit. Do you think $75 each per day would be enough? This would be for lunch, snacks and dinner. I know you wont be able to give me a definate answer, but we're not majorly keen on going to expensive restaurants-maybe just one and will have snacks etc off of the food carts.

I will have my Halifax Clarity credit card too just in case.

Thanks
    Emma
    Grocery Challenge 2017: Mar - £0/£200
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    you can eat for $75 a day . Think big city London prices with offers and deals and cheap Delis everywhere
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • PeacefulWaters
    edited 22 March 2014 at 7:56PM
    Options
    Hot dog off a cart $3.

McDonalds prices similar to UK. Deli choices everywhere. Order in a pizza for a cheap evening meal.

(Personally I'd do at least a couple of special meals).

The thing I found tougher was buying soft drinks cheaply. If anybody has any tips on buying multiple cans / bottles 250ml - 500ml sizes cheaply in NYC please. I got eight cans of Pepsi for £2 in Tesco the other day. Where can I stock up at this sort of price next time I'm in New York?
    I will have my Halifax Clarity credit card too just in case
    Research where your nearest TD Bank ATM is. It's about the only one that won't charge you if you need to withdraw cash.
  • Claremac
    Claremac Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    Re the TD Bank - does it depend on which card you are using in them whether you get charged a fee? I'm planning on taking my Halifax Clarity and my Fairfx $ currency card. Will either Halifax or Fairfx charge?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure