We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OS Daily Thread - Tuesday 26th January 2010

1356

Comments

  • Morning everyone!
    Haven't managed to post for a couple of days - I don't know where the time goes! Anyway big hugs to those that need them.
    Am waiting in this morning as i have a man coming round to quote for a new garage door. So far today i have hoovered all upstairs, hung 2 loads of washing out, dusted downstairs and cleaned Georges cage out. I am also having to stay in as i have a delivery from northern parrots arriving. I got a bit carried away on their website and couldn't resist getting George some new toys (although the prices were cheaper than normal due to the sale). Am now £55 lighter but got some good bargains for him that will hopefully keep him occupied whislt i am cleaning etc. At the moment his favourite place to perch is on top of my head and it's quite tricky hoovering with a parrot on your head!
    Yesterday I managed to buy all my new kitchen units in the B&Q sale. Got them all for £618 so am well pleased. Have been saving for a new kitchen since we moved in 2 years ago so am really looking forward to starting on that. For now the units will have to be stored in the garage as i need a rather large window in the kitchen bricked up before the new units can go in. On the downside my dishwasher went bang yesterday so its back to the washing up bowl for the forseeable future. if it's not one thing it's another lol.
    anyway i have waffled on long enough - have a good day everyone!
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    sistercas - hope it goes well for your DH at the hospital x x x
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    sistercas fingers crossed for today hun x
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • Morning chums ,did my school run with the boys and its really very cold out so I was glad to get home.I am now trying to work up the enthusiasim to start my next essay I got my last one back from Canterbury and it got a good mark and some nice comments so I'm pleased with it. I have craft this afternoon so I will have to have an early lunch around 12.30, think I will use up the rest of the tuna and sweetcorn with some salad.Dinner tonight is sheps pie with backed beans and yogurt and fruit to follow.Well no good putting it off I must get on with things .Hope everyone has a good day ,but do wrap up warm as its a very chilly wind blowing at the moment if your in the north Kent area
    Cheers JackieO xx
  • tired_mum
    tired_mum Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    sister cas hope all goes well for DH at the hospital
  • Ladyshopper
    Ladyshopper Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    sistercas - thinking of you and DH, hope all goes well at hospital. x
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Morning,just lost a long post,grrr,must have pressed a wrong key.

    Hugs to Sistercas and DH,Tris & Michelle,and Pen-Pin and family,Little Miss Bargainbird.

    DS2 came back from his snowboarding on Sunday aft,so have been catching up on the washing etc.I am making him broccoli soup for tea,as he had some while away,and raved about it.He had a chat to the English chef in the hotel,told him he couldn't eat chicken,tomatoes or red peppers.He laughed and said that was half his menu gone then,but he sorted DS out ok and he really enjoyed the meals-fresh air & exercise must have helped too.
    We are having spicy tomato & lentil,which I made yesterday.

    I have done quite a few more squares of my granny blanket,but have to admit the colours arent thrilling me.The only place I can get wool here is a shop on the market,it is pure new wool,and nice to work with,but limited colours.I got the best combo I could,an apricoty orange,cream and green,but now I've seen Thriftlady's,and some of the blankets on Attic24,I am coveting similar bright colours,but its double the price of the market wool.:( I've seen a shop online who is having a bit of a sale for some colours,so to buy it now would be Moneysaving,wouldn't it?I am enjoying crocheting the squares,as it stops me nibbling when I'm sat watching telly in the evening,and you get an end product.
    I have nearly talked myself into it,just feel a bit guilty.

    Right ,better get on.Have a good day.x
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • kazzaw
    kazzaw Posts: 717 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker

    Bargainbird - whats wacky cake?

    It's a chocolate cake recipe I posted at the end of yesterday's thread :D


    Just a quicky to say hope everythihng goes well for your OH Sistercas


    Will be back later - just catching up on the thread during my break at work ;)
    :j New Year, New You = 1.5lb/12lb:j
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    donny-gal wrote: »
    n.b. If not being OS enough kept me from posting I would never be here:o

    Me too :o:p

    Been to Dr's and went to pick up some veg and bag of spuds. DD fell asleep in the car on the way back so bang goes my lie down this afternoon :(
    Anyway I am sharing a savoy cabbage with my mum that we picked up with the spuds - this is progress for me as I LOATHE cabbage (and therefore never buy it) but when I was pregnant with DD the works canteen did roast dinners and the one day they had sauteed savoy - I've always wanted to try it again so I can't wait to have a go. How sad is that :rotfl:

    I am still ruddy freezing, might go and put my thermals on. Just had a sandwich and I wish I had some nice warm soup to go with it :(

    Stay warm everyone.

    Tiredmum - glad you are feeling bit better today. Sorry things are so tight for you xx

    Sistercas - crossing my fingers for your H at the hospital today. Hugs to you both xx Hope the news is good.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Shez wrote: »
    ...Best scrap price I could get yesterday was £100:( so arranging car to be taken on wednesday. Wish I could afford to get a new one and get the scrappage scheme, but you need to have it MOT'd, which I cant get on mine - nevermind....

    Shez - has your car's MOT just expired? Quote from DirectGov: "have a current MOT test certificate before date of order for the new vehicle (or that has expired no more than 14 days before the time of order)"
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.