We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OS Daily Thread - Tuesday 26th January 2010

Hi there! This is the Daily Thread for Tuesday 26th January. It is an 'Over the garden fence' type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
Please do not start a new Daily Thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two Dailys' live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new Daily Thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start is just as good.


Morning OS lovelies wave.gif
welcome2.gif Rose - Good to have you with us.
Lowesy - Still thinking of you and your husband.
Essex - Hope you found some time for your scrapbooking.
Taplady - A three hour pantomime would be my idea of hell! giggle.gif I was the Producer (for my sins) of the local churches' panto 'Cinderella' about 6 yrs ago and haven't been to one since! Glad to hear your son and OH are doing well.
elona - I think your new car is cute actually!
Jc - hugs.gif Sorry you are having a rotten time right now. Pleased that your husband managed to sort out a replacement car for you.
Ivy - If you do happen to read the thread before you go - have a FAB time and we will all miss you on here.
Pipkin - Wow your kids are busy! How fab for them to have fencing and kick boxing, that is really nice.
Halight - always nice to see you post!
Rachel - What a nice friend you have.
Bargain - I hope your son feels better soon
MrsMH - well done on losing more weight!
Smokey and Cranky - Hope you are both doing OK
Tru and Heavenleigh - Where are you, we miss you?

Tris isn't managing to keep food down so they haven't really been able to test his kidney function yet. Michelle is not strong enough for her op but they hope that will be soon. Thank you all for the continued thoughts and prayers.

The egg and bacon pie came out really nicely so we will have the rest of that tonight with jacket potatoes and more salad yum.gif (still loving the fresh clean tastes of a good salad). Lunch will be HM brioche as I am trying it for the first time this morning. Breakfast is bran flakes with a pot of melon, strawberry and pineapple that my OH bought reduced from £1.50 to 20p last night. We have three in the fridge so looking forward to having one on my cereal.

Finished my spreadsheet for now, though we have to add the contents of the baking cupboard to it and then we are done. We are on target to come within our grocery budget for January which is great, and I have really enjoyed being able to have good HM food and plenty of it without spending a fortune.

Anyway, I hope everyones day is as good as it can be, and that anyone feeling poorly feels better soon. With love, light and grouphug3.giffor all.

Diva.x
To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
«13456

Comments

  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Good morning all. I just keep being MIA on here; I don't know where the time goes but I think it runs out faster here than it did in the UK!

    MSD - (((hugs))) to Tris and Michelle. What a dreadful time they are going through.

    Welcome to all the newbies, and lots of (((hugs))) to all those in need; there seems to be a lot of sadness and anxiety around at the moment.

    Well, here, I just seem to be getting busier and busier. It doesn't help having a house in the middle of being renovated, I suppose, but we are getting there slowly but surely. More insulating and plasterboarding of ceilings is going on but it's surprising what a difference it is making to the look of the place and helping to keep the heat in, so every day sees a bit more progress. DH has a job to do for a customer at the end of the week, so at least I will have a break from the work going on here.

    It's less than two weeks until we go back to the UK for our ten day trip so the excitement is mounting - I just have to make sure we don't forget anything. I still have lots of Christmas pressies to take back, as well as birthday presents for DGS and DGD1 who had their birthdays last week. It'll be like another Christmas!

    I shall try and live out of the freezer until we go; we get the odd power cut here and I'd rather eat what we've got than get home to find it's all unuseable, so at least I shouldn't be spending too much on groceries. I've been keeping proper spreadsheets on our spending since the new year started, which I am determined to keep up. I often start them then they get forgotten about.

    Anyway, it has turned colder here but at least the sun came out yesterday giving a hint that spring is not too far away. I spoke to my Mum in Somerset last night and she said it's got a bit colder there, too, so I hope this is the last of the really cold stuff.

    Aussie Lass - if you're reading this, I hope you are having a brilliant time. I loved the photo that was put on the 'meet' thread of you all!

    Dinner tonight will be roast chicken to use up some chicken legs in the freezer; we'll have carrots and broccoli with it with gravy. Lunch will be home made sweet potato and red pepper soup; breakfast will be the usual porridge which does a good job of filling us up for the whole morning, and it's cheap, too!

    Well, the kettle is singing my song. Hope you all have a good day.

    KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

    Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • Morning MSD & all who cross/follow
    Kaz, thanks for the cake recipe.
    Bargain Bird, hope the chicken pox leaves your family soon.
    The job Centre strikes again, hubby has an interview in an ofice block that was pulled down 20 years ago!!
    I hope hings improve soon for Tris & Michelle soon Diva.
    Breakfast - Porridge
    Lunch - Cauliflower cheese left from Sunday
    Tea - Liver & bacon
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester

    Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Morning all.

    Cold and frosty here. Busy day ahead. Court first for some woman who stabbed 2 people. I guess her liberty might be curtailed for a year or 2?
    OH is day off and waiting for the Dell man to come. Her laptop crashed yesterday, but thankfully when she did her teaching degree the laptops they gave them were all insured for 3 years against all breakdowns. So free repairs today. Just hope we can recover some of the data on there.
    Now that I have a MAC all the PC stuff was on there....:eek:
    Well, nothing much other than boring stuff... have a good day.
    Cheers
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Morning peeps :wave:

    Very cold here this morning, i`m well wrapped up and have a small heater below my desk. I made the liver & bacon pate last night but we didn`t have the remaining casserole for tea as i had forgotton that we were having the rest of the shepherds pie :o i didn`t remember until i got home and saw it in the fridge so i`ve popped it in the freezer and we shall have that tomorrow. Tonight we shall be having chilli and jacket potatoes - the spuds are huge :D

    I put the ingredients in the breadmaker last night in the wrong order so i switched it on straight away rather than putting it on the timer so the loaf was finished and cooled by the time that i got up this morning, i seem to keep doing this quite a bit lately so i must start to pay attention a bit more when i`m on auto pilot adding the ingredients, i need to take advantage of the cheaper night time electricity.

    Washing hung up already and there is another load in for when i get home later so i`m hoping that some of the smaller bits and bobs are dry so that i have some room on the airer to hang the next load.

    Hester - Your post about the office block really had me in bits, what a mistake to make :rotfl:hope that hubby finds out where the interview really is. Not long now until February so that you can have your ears sorted out, thinking of you.

    Rose - Welcome, its lovely here!

    JC - ((((HUGS)))) nice to hear that you`ve got the car sorted.

    Today at some point i intend to cut up all the Christmas cards that have been saved to make gift tags for next years prezzies :D hope i have some time later as its been a bit hectic this week and i`ve struggled for some time to myself.

    Best make a move.

    Have a great day everyone.

    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Morning All

    (((hugs))) for Tris, Michelle and anyone else who needs one.

    MSD - didn't get any scrapbooking done yesterday, had a phone call at 11 from DD her brace had broken and was hanging in her mouth, picked her up from school and took her to the orthodontist. Didnt get home till 2pm - half hour later electric went off till 9pm :mad: so ended up getting nothing done.

    Hopefully today will be a better day but will be playing catch up, may have to pop out and pick up a lorry with OH. So plans are get as much done as possible :)

    Omelettes tonight as ended up in Macdonalds last night with half our village :rotfl:

    Have a good one.x
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Morning all

    Dark and cold here but no rain. Was cross last night, had menu planned pork chops with mash and veg, did all the veg got the chops out to put in the oven and one smelt off so had to bin them (would have taken them back but had already shredded receipt). Luckily had some frozen sausages so we had those instead, but I only bought pork on Friday and was still in date. Not the first time this has happened either, think I'll be sticking to the butcher for meat purchases from now on! Other than that dinner was lovely.

    OH and boys making short work of the baking I did on Sat morning, but very pleased that I know what's in the food they are eating. OH had early start again today so I did stir when he got up but managed to get back to sleep and then was woken by the alarm, so had a good night's sleep. Got the fish out of the freezer to defrost overnight so tonights dinner is fish, pasta with a creme fraiche and mushroom sauce (will make this up as I go along -hopefully it will be edible).

    Last full day at work today then half day but training tomorrow morning, then my paid working week is done, it's really scary that this weekend it's the end of January, only 11 months to Christmas!!!! Perhaps we're not going to think about that at the moment!! Need to crack on otherwise I'll be struggling for time.

    Keep safe and well everyone, hugs to those that need them.
    nmlc
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone, sorry I've been missing the last few days. I hope that you are all keeping well - lots of people seem to have a horrible sickness bug so let's have good vibes to keep it away!

    DH has just taken a crying DS into nursery; he was stroppy cos he couldn't watch TV and I put his coat on him and then he just kept saying 'Mummy' and clinging to my legs (DS that is!) So the long and short of it is I carried him to DH who took him to the car crying; I so hate that. I know he'll be fine.

    Me and DD about to go and get dressed and have breakfast, then school run, I've got some errands to do and back to school for a literacy meeting. The rest of the day is cleaning the kitchen (OS of course!) and I'm really feeling like doing some cooking - the other day DH asked me if I was pregnant as I'm cooking so much :eek: DEFINITELY not :rotfl: I have to clean the dreaded kitchen blinds as DH covered them with I don't know what on Sunday - they haven't been cleaned for a few years :o so I dread to think how long it'll take.

    OK, best get on. Love and hugs to all xx
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Morning.
    I just can't get warm lately, not so bad during the day but first thing in the morning and at night I am cold. Went to bed wearing fleecy PJ bottoms, a t shirt and a cardi and socks :eek: In the past I'd be boiling wearing all that but not lately. Am wearing all of the above as well as a fleecy dressing down now - am a nice temp now :D
    Off to the Dr's this morning so that will probably take up most of the morning.
    Haven't decided what's for tea, been too tired this morning. Need coffee in an IV today :rotfl: Will look at the planner for this week and try and get organised. Didn't finish off the ironing last night as I was busy on the 'puter so will probably crack on with that tonight. H has said he'll help me. Will probably use DD nap time this afternoon to go back to bed so not much OS going on today :o

    Still plenty of washing to get through - does this stuff multiply by itself or what?! Need to dust the lounge and landing. Think that's about all I'll manage today.

    Hester - I know I shouldn't laugh but you honestly couldn't make this stuff up that the job centre is doing :rotfl:

    mioliere - the next two weeks will fly by :D

    Hugs to those that need them. Have a good day OS or not.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,820 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Pipkin - Wow your kids are busy! How fab for them to have fencing and kick boxing, that is really nice.


    Do you know, one of my biggest worries, when I bought the girls out of school, was their socialising, and mixing with other children. It's turned out that that's the one thing I don't have to be worried about :)
    Tris isn't managing to keep food down so they haven't really been able to test his kidney function yet. Michelle is not strong enough for her op but they hope that will be soon. Thank you all for the continued thoughts and prayers.

    Hopefully Tris and Michelle will start to improve some more, so that they are able to have the necessary treatments. I'm keeping all of you in my thoughts, hunny and hope that you are ok too :)

    I had a busy day yesterday. We got back home after the visit to their riends, around 11 :eek: The girls are still in bed, but they have bowling this morning, so I need to go and wake them up shortly.

    DD2 was very hormonal at points, yesterday. I think the extra exercise she had, helped, and they both loved the kick-boxing. The instructors were really pleased with them.

    It was a lot of effort though, and I'm struggling a bit this morning, now. I need to think about splitting the days, which is possible, but will talk to the girls about it today.

    I feel a bit of a fraud on this board sometimes, as I don't do as much in the way of OS :o I have someone who cleans my house and I can't always get into the kitchen, because of my illness.

    My one real contribution to OS is an OS education at home :D

    I've no idea what we will be eating tonight, as my menu planning has gone out the window, but will sort something out, during the day.

    Hope you all have a good day, whatever you're doing, and I will check in again, later :)

    Take care all

    Pipkin xxxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Shez
    Shez Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    Morning all!

    I see the cold weather has returned, brrrr:D

    Quickie from me as it wont be long before it's time to go to school! pack lunches done, must remember to pack recorder for DS recorder club, DD has Judo tonite - she's really quite good for 5yrs! she will be a force to reckon with I bet!:rotfl:

    Best scrap price I could get yesterday was £100:( so arranging car to be taken on wednesday. Wish I could afford to get a new one and get the scrappage scheme, but you need to have it MOT'd, which I cant get on mine - nevermind.

    Got loads of veg that I must use up so maybe doing some soup making today.

    Tea tonite will be pork chops (hopefully not gone off like yours nmlc)

    (Hugs)) to all those in need today x

    must go, but will read the rest of the thread properly later

    have a good day all x:D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.