PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What have you baked today?

Options

Comments

• busylizzie76
    Options
    I've made 80 heart shaped cookies for wedding favours today and am now exhausted and heading towards a large glass of red wine. :j
    Me, 2 x kiddies and multiple pets.

GC: Nov: £125/£164.56 Oct: £125/£126.89 Sept:£150/£130.38:D
    NSD Nov - 20 Oct - 20 Sept - 19
  • MoreOn
    MoreOn Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    egg custard, it's so yum
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Doodoot; I did stir it and said to my other half its just butter on top and treacley sugar underneath! Will have another go without stirring and see what happens :0)

Oh and I made a lasagne also yesterday (half mince, half dried soya mince- was lovely!) and a full roast with trimmings (beef brisket!) :0) more baking tomorrow- graveyard cake practice!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • chinagirl
    chinagirl Posts: 875 Forumite
    Options
    Apple Crumble...made with Bramley's off the apple tree growing in a neighbour's garden, which overhangs our garden. YUMMY !!!
    keep smiling,
    chinagirl x
  • doodoot
    doodoot Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Doodoot; I did stir it and said to my other half its just butter on top and treacley sugar underneath! Will have another go without stirring and see what happens :0)

Aha...it must be that.

Melt the butter first over a low heat then add the sugar and once it's dissolved add the syrup. ;)

Am hungry for biscuits now!
    Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage.
  • thenanny2die4
    Options
    DH and visiting stepson put paid to an entire loaf today :eek: thanks to the leftover beef from last night's roast, so I've had to make another loaf.

It's the first time I've used this flour (Allinson's seed and nut). Hope the bread tastes as good as it looks and smells. ;)
    Avoiding plastic, palm oil and Nestlé
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DH and visiting stepson put paid to an entire loaf today :eek: thanks to the leftover beef from last night's roast, so I've had to make another loaf.

It's the first time I've used this flour (Allinson's seed and nut). Hope the bread tastes as good as it looks and smells. ;)

I use 400 granary or country grain and 200g of normal strong white flour.

I need to be a bit more adventurous though!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I made a lemon drizzle cake that was a complete disaster, it was hollow, what a waste of ingredients :mad:

Also made cookie dough for the week, that can't possibly go wrong :D
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Helpless_Warrior
    Helpless_Warrior Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 October 2011 at 4:02PM
    Options
    Today my dd ans ds have helped make white and wholemeal bread, peppermint creams and rice krispie cakes.

ETA: All the bread has now cooled but is under cooked , again :mad:.
  • doodoot
    doodoot Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that my yeast is either hibernating or has died a death...have tried to get it to froth 3 times today and nuthin. :(

So I experimented with a chocolate brownie-come-flapjack-type recipe and had a success. :j

So here's my recipe...adapt as needed:

Handfuls of whatever cereals/oats/muesli there's left at the bottom of the cupboard.
    Dried fruit/nuts/seeds.
    Choc chips.
    1 egg
    Half the weight of the dried ingredients in flour, caster sugar and margarine.
    2 tbsp cocoa powder (or drinking chocolate, but put a little less in).

Mix together, put in a deep tray (or round sponge tins like I did cos I hadn't washed the tray lol) lined with greaseproof paper and bake in the oven at 180C for approx 15 mins.

Cut into squares when it's cooled slightly...and then watch as they all disappear! :D

I made mine using muesli, fruit n fibre and weetabix but honestly you can use ANYTHING cereal based.

You can also use either plain or self raising flour, it has made no real difference when I've used either of them.

Just to clarify, if you use 8oz of dried ingredients, use 4oz of sugar, flour and marg. ;)
    Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure