Cheap gyms deals discussion

Options

Comments

• alwaysworking_2
    Options
    Total Fitness are offering a deal for all moneysavers! I have been a member here and really enjoy the facilities. Plus I have also used it when going on holiday too (family in Ireland).

£348 for annual membership and no joining fee... sounds pretty good to me (£29 per month if my maths is correct)

check out their Ts and Cs on the site http://www.totalfitness.co.uk/join/

Code you need is MSE2010
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    there are various army fitness classes around the country - most of them give you the first lesson free too to see if you like it.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • bigegg1
    Options
    HI all,
    I have just joined the Esporta Club in Cwmbran, South Wales and had a great deal. Not only is it FREE till March but the membership also included £90 worth of personal training free so it kick started my training with the great staff as i was a little aprehensive about joining as i thought all people in gyms were fit and i would stand out.

The staff there were wonderful and a particular mention to the Sales guy Steve for all his help when i was thinking of joining.

If you are thinking of joining go and have a look round cause the clubs are stunning and well worth the money!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck All
  • snarfgirl
    Options
    I'm suprised no-one has mentioned Fitspace, perhaps because they only have 8 branches. The two London ones I use are Woolwich and Islington.

(Unfortunately I cannot post a link, but it is fitspacegyms dot co dot uk ...!)

The most important thing you need to know is the price. For an 18 month contract, it is £10 a month. For a rolling 1 month contract, i.e. you can leave when you like, it is £17 a month. You can also chose to pay up front for 12 months, which I believe works out as about £13 a month (do double check this though!) Bear in mind that this is available in London, where you're lucky to find a sub £40 membership.

They are a budget gym, claiming to save money because they save money on staff, using a swipe card similar to an Oyster rather than a reception, and one has to sign up online rather than requiring a rep to do this (you can do this in the club if internet access isn't easy for you.) They also do not have a swimming pool or any classes, which might not suit everyone, but does suit me!

"You get what you pay for" is somewhat true, and I imagine must vary between branches as it does here in London. One of the branches I have mentioned, Woolwich, is very good because they have taken over the old Fitness First, therefore all the equipment is of FF standard. The Islington gym, although adequate, does not have what I consider to be high quality cardiovascular or resistance machines. They are absolutely fine and it's a nice airy gym, but if you are used to nicer equipment (as I am, because I use the Woolwich gym as well) it feels somewhat uncomfortable and clunky. As a budget, non-althlete user it is still very good value for zone 2! But for regular, fussier, gym goers, I would strongly recommend you ask for a chance to try the equipment before you sign up.

Overall I think they offer excellent value for money.
  • well how embarassing can you get, after reading a few posts and seeing that you can haggle for a gym membership, with contract length, monthly cost and joining fees, i decided that i was going to join my local La fitness in Kings Heath Birmingham. i called and arranged an appointment, i arrived at the club was warmly greated and offered a tea or coffee, asked to fill in a information card and was greated by the club manager (very cute!! lol) and then was shown around the club by the sales advisor (again very cute!!!) the club is good, clean great atmosphere, friendly staff and members to whom i was introduced to, nice pool adequate gym and plenty of classes and something called "the la experience" or "kickstart" which is going to help me change my life!!! all looked great, im thinking im geting a bargin here!!!! so sit down with the sales guy and go through the prices 37.99 and half price starter fee 25.00 not bad but im gonna get that down, i haggled for 15 mins the sales guy did not budge, i asked to see the manager (surely he could lower it he is the boss after all!!!!) god he is cute!! we talked for 5 mins, he asked did i like the club,did i think that they could help me achieve my goals i said yes,and yes to lots of other questions, he then said lets get you joined up then ... i said no, he said why i said to expensive, he said the price is what it is, we offer X,Y and Z, drop the joining fee he said sorry its half price, we are giving you a £100 starter pack(which they actually do and its full of nice stuff too!!!) so what happened you ask??? i did not join although i want to!!! and not cause of the two cute guys i saw, its a nice club has a lot going on, i feel embaressed that i haggled for so long and got no where.
    SO MUCH FOR SALES TEAMS WANTING THEIR COMMISSION, MANAGERS BEING ABLE TO NEGOTIATE FEES!!! you see the sales are all done on online computers so the prices are fixed, the manager can not cahnge them, the sales ppl cant change them , the price is what the price is, i am going back at the end of the month when i get paid to join, so if you do get a deal then think urself very lucky!!!! oh well i suppose i get to see the cuties every day!!!!! lol
  • got-it-spend-it
    Options
    Had anyone used their Tesco Clubcard vouchers to pay for an LA Fitness membership? I just wondered what membership options they give you if you do this as I'm after an off-peak membership.
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • got-it-spend-it
    Options
    To answer my own question (as it might be useful to someone else) you can get peak or off-peak through Clubcard, but you have to pay in full for the year. You can pay part vouchers and part cash so it is potentially a very cheap way to get a membership.
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • ulleswater
    Options
    To answer my own question (as it might be useful to someone else) you can get peak or off-peak through Clubcard, but you have to pay in full for the year. You can pay part vouchers and part cash so it is potentially a very cheap way to get a membership.

Thanks for this, i'm trying to get enough vouchers to pay for my gym membership, £80 in vouchers so far in two months, only another £80 to go!!!!!
    :money: Matched betting total 2016 £455 :beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    bigegg1 wrote: »
    HI all,
    I have just joined the Esporta Club in Cwmbran, South Wales and had a great deal. Not only is it FREE till March but the membership also included £90 worth of personal training free so it kick started my training with the great staff as i was a little aprehensive about joining as i thought all people in gyms were fit and i would stand out.

The staff there were wonderful and a particular mention to the Sales guy Steve for all his help when i was thinking of joining.

If you are thinking of joining go and have a look round cause the clubs are stunning and well worth the money!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck All

Hi there,
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but how much is Esporta membership? There is one within 30 mins from where I stay and am hoping it's better value for money than the others in my area.

Thanks!
  • rebeccak
    rebeccak Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone used the 5-day FitnessFirst offer advertised on here?

I'm sure that while I was applying for it on the website it said somewhere that it had to be used (or possibly activated) within 14 days. However, the voucher just says that the offer expires on 15th February. I didn't pay too much attention at the time as I thought I'd use it within 14 days but now I'm going to be too busy to get much use out of it and would rather use it in early February. Has anyone had a problem using the voucher more than two weeks after they applied for it?

Also, if you've used it, have you had any problems with sales people? Did anyone try to pressure you into signing a contract while you were using the gym or did you get lots of sales calls afterwards?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure