🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Anyone else "confined to barracks" because of the icy state of the pavements?

Options

Comments

• Bethankim
    Bethankim Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    I havent been out since Saturday, when i slid down 2 hills backwards trying to get back home, got so stressed im not in another Fibro flair up. Even if i was up to going out, and managed the steps down to the ground, my my block of flats its a slope and 400 metre walk..no chance so im staying put, although going slightly stir crazy too,

This is my first winter with full blown FMS - and i really miss my old mobility
    BR 2nd April 2009
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

• Happy_Girl_2
    Options
    jazabelle wrote: »
    I couldn't go to work when it snowed, also through fear of falling. Luckily it's all clear here at the moment, but I think snow is on its way again. My walking stick is pretty useless in the wet/snow, so I get trapped in as well. :(QUOTE]

Same for me. Last time it snowed, I took the first day off as it was really slippery just trying to get out of the house, even though the pavements around work have been gritted. We were able to clear a way out of the house, and my OH dropped me at work from the second day

This time though, we have about 4 inches, and we can't grit as there is no grit. I have taken a lieu day today, but if this goes on for 2 weeks as forecast, what the heck do you do? Can I say "I'm not coming back until it clears" and have to take unpaid leave etc, or will I be penalised if I don't go? They are fully aware of my disability, and last time were very understanding about the one day, but I'm really worried that they might be less understanding if it goes on for days/weeks. I work in Public Sector if it helps

How do your employers deal with you not working?
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes Im stuck at home for the duration. Last February I couldn't set foot outside the door for a week and I mean the door...I cant even get to the garage as Im very unbalanced.

Im trying not to moan..Thanks to Old Style Threads I have built up my freezer and store cupboard and we could go for months. My doggies are having their walks courtesy of my kids but i would love to get out. Never mind...keep warm and safe x
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    Happy_Girl wrote: »
    How do your employers deal with you not working?

I'm lucky last time it snowed that I was working part time and could swap my day. I always work part time there, but I usually have two part time jobs, so I won't always have that flexibility.

My company told us their snow policy today was that you had to use your annual leave, and when that's finished next year's annual leave! Like you say - it's fine for a day a so, but not if it's longer. I only get three days annual leave for the whole year - so I'm not in the greatest situation if I have to use it on snow!

My employer allowed me to work from home this afternoon and on Friday (my next working day.)
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My sister (who is disabled too), wanted to work from home. She was going to use remote access to get onto the work computer, but they had so many people working from home that the remote access failed.

So they have told her she must take it out of annual leave, because their technical dept wasn't up to the job, which doesn't seem fair to me.

Thing is, if she struggles to get in, but falls and suffers an injury, she'll be off work for longer, leaving them understaffed. It seems odd to me that they can't understand that, esp. as she works for the education dept (not in a school), but they have closed all the schools today for H & S reasons :confused:
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • lawsofnature
    Options
    jazabelle wrote: »
    At Matalan when it was bad snow here they seemed to have shoveled the snow from other spaces INTO the two Blue Badge spaces!! All the other spaces were clear, and there was a huge mound of snow on the Blue Badge spaces.

And at Boots the Blue Badge spaces were in shade, so they were pure ice. You think they could have just sprinkled something on it?

In some countries, shops/stores etc. are obliged to clear their premises (even the public pavements) and their car parks when there has been snow. If they don't, they get fined.

I was in Marks and Spencer before Xmas, and the car park was like an ice rink. I had to very carefully get myself and my Mum into the store.

Kudos to Sainsburys who have gritted their car parks fully since the bad weather began.

I would definitely complain to Boots and Matalan - they are being lazy and unlike public highways/pavement, it's their responsibility to make the car park reasonably safe.

After unintentionally ice-skating my way across my parents' driveway this morning, I cleared their footpaths and drive this morning in case the postman slipped (though he wisely didn't do a delivery).
  • Rochelle
    Rochelle Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    I 2 am housebound because of the snow and ice, and i had an hospital app the week b4 Christmas when we had the bad bout of snow, i pulled up at the disabled parking bays and was gob smacked to see that they had not even bothered to grit or sand the pavements, usually i can walk the 2 mins to the transport and then get a porter with a wheel chair but i could not even leave my car, so i had to call the transport dept and ask them to meet me at my car with a wheelchair.
    I cant believe a big busy hospital would not grit the pavements and walkways in the hospital, they must want a busier A&E dept as i can just imagine how many people ended up on their bum trying to walk up and down the pathways at the hospital !!
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Still stuck indoors :rolleyes:

My neighbour's son came to see if I wanted anything from the shops today though, which I thought was a really nice thing to do.

Thankfully, a bit of forward planning means I am ok for a while.

I do feel sorry for my daughters though, who can't venture very far, so will be glad when the snow does start to thaw.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    Yup i'm stuck too.

Fibro, hypermobility, usual...

Car is buried somewhere outside, freezing in the house still after 7 months the council still haven't sorted out a heating upgrade in the house so relying on 2 night storage heaters in the bedroom, wall mounted with bricks in so couldn't move them.

stupidly bought 2 halogen heaters at the weekend, for £10.00 each..but realised that wasting about £5.00 a day on prepaid electric a day was a big no no.

took 2 hours to slowly walk to the end of my road today (with DS with me)
    the coucil will not be dealing with our road, even though we have a old peoples home next door...
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Options
    I'm snowbound as well :confused: and have not been outside since the snow came down on Tuesday, haven't managed to get to work and am having to take carers leave as the twins' school is closed too.

I have severe lower back problems and a dodgy right hip so I daren't slip/fall over! I can see my car and know that at the end of the road the conditions are better, but I daren't even try and get to my car because of the snow and ice let alone try and drive it a mile down the road!

Luckily my shopping arrived on Tuesday pm so I'm stocked up for a week.

Hope everyone is keeping warm and safe xx
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills