Anyone else "confined to barracks" because of the icy state of the pavements?

Options
cos I have mobility difficulties, and a very complicated hip replacement, I'm pretty housebound at the moment, simply because I can't/daren't manage the state of the pavements.

Fortunately, I work mainly at home (bookkeeping and IT support for small businesses), but it mains I can't make any arrangements to meet clients, and won't be able to visit the local school for their IT visit tomorrow (altho they may be closed by then).

Yesterday I had to drive my son (who is 10) to get his hair cut, and send him in from the car on his own, cos the car park and pavements were sooo treacherous. Fortunately, we know the hairdresser well.

Just before Christmas I had to take some papers in to our council offices. Altho they had gritted the footpaths round the door to the building, they had done nothing with the blue badge parking spaces. I had to edge along holding on to my filthy car to reach the pavement safely.

This is the time when I feel my disabilty really does put me at a disadvantage. Thank goodness I don't have to out to a workplace each day.

It makes me cross because our laws here actually discourage businesses from clearing snowy/icy footpaths, whereas in other countries, it becomes the responsibility of the business to clear the access around their property.

Just a moan really.
I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)

Comments

• Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    Yep. I'm severely hypermobile and also have fibromyalgia and a spinal injury; I walk with two sticks, and I can't drive, so I'm stuck in the house in this weather, for the most part, because if I go out, there's a very high chance I'll slip, and if I slip, I'll either fall and hurt my back or I'll dislocate something. So I'm stuck. *sigh*
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • stressedaah30
    stressedaah30 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    me to im currently relapsing ms so will be confined indoors for the foreseable future till mobilty regains a bit or weather improves whichever comes first
    JAN WINS- pepsi tshirt,
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    At Matalan when it was bad snow here they seemed to have shoveled the snow from other spaces INTO the two Blue Badge spaces!! All the other spaces were clear, and there was a huge mound of snow on the Blue Badge spaces.

And at Boots the Blue Badge spaces were in shade, so they were pure ice. You think they could have just sprinkled something on it?

I couldn't go to work when it snowed, also through fear of falling. Luckily it's all clear here at the moment, but I think snow is on its way again. My walking stick is pretty useless in the wet/snow, so I get trapped in as well. :(

I wish they would grit pavements more.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could we start a campaign do you think?

After all, by Not gritting pavements we are being discriminated against ...

(honestly, I'm not usually militant, just getting a bit stir-crazy)
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    easy wrote: »
    This is the time when I feel my disabilty really does put me at a disadvantage. Thank goodness I don't have to out to a workplace each day.

Agree with you here, easy.

I can't really go out in this weather, unless it's door to door taxi service, as I can't risk falling over.

I have problems with my lower spine, and now my hip, so a fall could cause many issues. With that in mind, it's easier to stay indoors.

Thankfully, my children are home educated, so I don't have to go out anywhere until the weather clears. No fun being stuck in though.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    *waves*
    I have ME and fell down the stairs (at home) just before xmas, hurting my foot, and with the snow and ice ,the demand for taxis was so high (I can't drive) that I gave up going out when it was really bad as limited funds!
    Been better recently but we've lots more snow forecast. It's quite a way to the shop/bus stop so it does tend to trap me indoors until it melts away a bit.
    Our council only gritted pavements in the centre of town, think that's becoming the norm!
  • easy
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    Thankfully, my children are home educated, so I don't have to go out anywhere until the weather clears. No fun being stuck in though.

Thankfully, my hubby's company are VERY understanding and family friendly, so he can drop our son at school first, then go on to work a bit late. Our son is 10 so old enough to get himself home (and there too, tbh, but I like to see he's actually got there), so he'll have a snowball fight with his mates on the way home, and I'll have the fire lit and crumpets ready when he gets home.
  • Invasion
    Invasion Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    Thing is, apparently, if they grit pavements then they're responsible for any slips, if they don't, then they aren't... I learnt this at our Dr's surgery, where they hadn't gritted the path up to the door or the car park, and when asked they said that if they gritted it then it would be their responsibility if anyone fell! I live in the middle of nowhere and so no pavements, plus don't normally go out without wheelchair. Have however ordered some of these for my crutches, £16 for 2 of them, and postage from America. Not too pricey if it means I'm safer!
  • easy
    Options
    Invasion wrote: »
    Thing is, apparently, if they grit pavements then they're responsible for any slips, if they don't, then they aren't...

Which is what I meant when I said our law in the UK means that businesses are actively discouraged from clearing the access to their premises.

In Finland, I believe a business owner is liable if they DON'T make any effort to clear the paths/pavements and someone falls. Which is MUCH more sensible, and would make life better for everyone (non-disabled folk too).
  • Invasion
    Invasion Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I'm guilty of skim reading far too often :o and I'm all drugged up on painkillers. You're right, It doesn't make any sense the way things are currently, and it's discrimination... Normally my crutch(es) make me more stable, but in this weather it just becomes a nightmare!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure