Eager Elephant's Effective Everyday Excursion ...

Options

Comments

• Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Just popping in to say hi, and I love your diary, you're so honest, I don't know how you manage to stay so upbeat xx

PS - my WM only cost about £250. It doesn't have any fancy shmancy settings but all I ever want is a quick 40 degree daily wash with the occasional boil wash. £500 on a washing machine does sound a bit expensive x

Hi Housework Fairy,

Bless you - I just say things as I see them - this can be a disadvantage in life :rotfl:

I know £500 on a washing machine is expensive but it is quite cheap when you think 11years ago we paid £900 for one:eek:
    Unfortunately we do like all the fancy stuff and I think we were quite spoilt with our old machine because it had loads of functions which we use all the time and so that was a requirement this time.

Fingers crossed it lasts at least 10 years!!
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Well today has been spend, spend, spend :eek:

I actually hate spending money so I rarely do it but my god when I do spend it costs a lot:rotfl:

This morning we went to a smallholder sale (someone from my group is moving and they are selling everything). We spent £40 but that included loads of metal buckets (to be used as planters), some wooden troughs, some jam (this was what DD wanted) and 3 full rolls of felt and loads of half rolls (the full rolls are £22 each in B & Q so a right bargain) - the fact it will last us about 30yrs is irrelevant :rotfl:

By the way the £40 has come out of the relevant budgeting pot.

Then we were home for a quick change and off to the opticians.
    The spend in there is always horrendous - I love glasses so much (just as well as I have to wear them all the time:rotfl:).
    My eye sight has got worse - this is common for me due to the fact I am practically blind in one eye so the other eye has to work harder (this was caused by an eye ulcer in August 2005 - ooh 9 years it's been now).
    Specsavers do B1G1F, I usually get 2 pairs but today I got 4 :eek:
    They are all gorgeous and will be put to good use - cost per use will work out at about £0.00001 for each pair :rotfl:
    Total spend £274 :eek:
    I don't have a medical budgeting pot but I should have as this is what I spend every few years. So the cost from this has come from my normal account so I will have less to PAD this month :(

Then we went off to get the washing machine, last night we decided we should replace the microwave as well as it is rusty and is not safe. We found a nice one for £70 but got it for £65.
    Then we decided that as they also had the Panasonic kettle and toaster that DH has wanted for ages we would get them as well (Naughty EE and DH:rotfl:). These are very sleek and gorgeous. They should have been £109 each but we got them for £99 each.
    Total spend £849 :eek:
    But we had the money for this and have not put it on a credit card.
    I will start saving the Tax Credits again and hopefully I will get a new drive at some point!!

I know we could have done without some of the above and got a cheaper washing machine but hopefully they will last and we want to replace to last rather than replace cheap time and time again.

Tomorrow will consist of washing and more washing as need to catch up!!!
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Forgot to say I have also done a PAD of £10.00.

I don't think I will be able to keep this up as I have spent some of the potential PAD money on glasses!!
  • mary_hinge
    mary_hinge Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    :eek: 4 pairs of glasses?! you can only wear one pair at a time :rotfl:

EE I do believe your light bulb is flickering and your new "technology" are more expensive due to wants then needs. My washer cost me £309 and I thought that was expensive!! I don't mean to speak out of turn and forgive me I'm known for putting my huge size 8's in my mouth but after reading your posts and the disappointment you shared about your £9 reduction in 9months, the eye watering Apr's on some of your cards I don't want you to lose sight off that during your spending sprees!

Mrs H x
    Living in a superhero induced haze :A:A
    "You did good Kidda!" :D
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jumping in with my size 5's.........Have to agree with Mrs H...........sorry
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,511 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Must admit I have to agree as well.
    I have one pair of glasses and I wear them every day.
    I have a second hand washing machine & it does the job.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    mary_hinge wrote: »
    :eek: 4 pairs of glasses?! you can only wear one pair at a time :rotfl:

EE I do believe your light bulb is flickering and your new "technology" are more expensive due to wants then needs. My washer cost me £309 and I thought that was expensive!! I don't mean to speak out of turn and forgive me I'm known for putting my huge size 8's in my mouth but after reading your posts and the disappointment you shared about your £9 reduction in 9months, the eye watering Apr's on some of your cards I don't want you to lose sight off that during your spending sprees!

Mrs H x
    Igamogam wrote: »
    Jumping in with my size 5's.........Have to agree with Mrs H...........sorry
    beanielou wrote: »
    Must admit I have to agree as well.
    I have one pair of glasses and I wear them every day.
    I have a second hand washing machine & it does the job.

I don't mind anyone's comments - if I am prepared to put my life on here I have to be prepared for comments.

Just to clarify the money spent on white goods would not have come off my debt anyway - it was joint money and therefore DH and I had to make a joint decision about where it went. It would have covered half the cost of the drive but again the drive is a want rather than a need.

As for my glasses - there is nothing that I can say except my glasses are an extension of me and as I have to wear them all the time I want to look and feel great.
    I know I am shallow but that is how I feel:cool:

I am still hoping to meet my 12 week target of clearing my Santander card - even if I have to do my surveys etc
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    Well done for keeping up the PAD :) Is that on top of minimum payments every month? If so hopefully you will begin to see the totals come down next time you check.

I paid around £250-299 (can't remember now exact amount) for my WM but it's not brilliant and next time round I will get a better brand which will last longer, we've already got problems with ours and it's a year or 2 old?! My sister is like you EE and would rather buy and make it last so she goes for more expensive things too. However tut tut for the kettle & toaster :eek: I bought a new set a couple of months ago and still admire them when I go in the kitchen :o however they were £60/70 for BOTH lol xxx
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF Goal 2- £259.70/300 86.6%(EF total £1750.96 - 1 month expenses! )~ NSD 4/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £283.29 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £97,285.47
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Well done for keeping up the PAD :) Is that on top of minimum payments every month? If so hopefully you will begin to see the totals come down next time you check.

The PAD is on top of the minimum payments. My minimum payment with Santander is about £33pm which is taken by DD so when my statement is produced my balance will be a lot lower than it would normally be
    I paid around £250-299 (can't remember now exact amount) for my WM but it's not brilliant and next time round I will get a better brand which will last longer, we've already got problems with ours and it's a year or 2 old?! My sister is like you EE and would rather buy and make it last so she goes for more expensive things too. However tut tut for the kettle & toaster :eek: I bought a new set a couple of months ago and still admire them when I go in the kitchen :o however they were £60/70 for BOTH lol xxx

The bonus of having a new microwave, kettle and toaster is that DH has cleaned all my kitchen for me before he decided where to place everything. He has also washed up about 5 times and also done tons of washing of clothes - he is even pegging out and bringing in - I nearly died of shock:rotfl:
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Forgot to say that I have made a PAD of £5 to Santander.

I have left the house today but apart from some food shopping have not spent any of my own money (came from food budget).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure