Eager Elephant's Effective Everyday Excursion ...

Options

Comments

• Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Morning EE great goal to work towards I hope you manage it. Are the aprs on your debts high? I take it you're in the same situation as we were and can't get a decent apr to move debts about? I hope you can get on top of it and get rid of that smaller one soon xx

Hi DFW

I think Santander is now 29.9% - it was about 24.9% when I first took it out but they keep increasing the APR.

The Halifax is partly on 26.95% and some on 6.95% - now they pay off the most expensive first it is not too bad.

Barclaycard is 0% as I have defaulted and am on a payment plan.

I struggled to get credit before I defaulted on the Barclaycard and now it would just be impossible.

Too be honest if I had 0% cards I think I would be even more blas! about the matter - when I get charged interest each month I have more reason to change my ways and get the debts paid off.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    AARRGGHHHH :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

My washing machine has broken :eek:
    Something always goes wrong when I start a challenge to clear my debt - looking back to 2012 I said I would clear my Santander card and then DH's truck went wrong.

These things are sent to try us:rotfl:

It is about 11years old and cost £900:eek:, DH thinks we have got value for money but I don't:rotfl:

I think I posted before that the manufacturer no longer makes them or repairs them so we are stuck. I have contacted a friend who works for them still and he said you can't even get genuine parts although you can get dodgy parts which costs a fortune and he thinks we are better off scrapping it in :mad:

So we are on the look out for a new washing machine

Luckily I have been saving the Tax Credits so we can have our drive done, I did have £800 but had to buy oil so it went down to £300 but I have checked today and I have £750 which surely is enough to get a machine - well unless we want a Miele which are £1k+:eek:

I will not let this defeat me and I will continue to PAD - I have paid £10 today:T
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Options
    Mornign EE

I shall follow you with interest as my goal is to own a farm too :) That is what is keeping me focussed to become DF. I feel your pain with the balances not coming down - it's only this month I've managed to find a balance and have started to see an impression. When is your expected DFD? Or don't you know yet? Good Luck.
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    New machine - have you tried aodotcom
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Mornign EE

I shall follow you with interest as my goal is to own a farm too :) That is what is keeping me focussed to become DF. I feel your pain with the balances not coming down - it's only this month I've managed to find a balance and have started to see an impression. When is your expected DFD? Or don't you know yet? Good Luck.

Hi DF2012

Thanks for popping by.

Glad I have found a like-minded person.

Apart from your horse could you have any more animals such as a few chickens?

I think the problem with finding a balance is that when you have done without for a while you feel you deserve things and then spend, spend, spend.
    I am trying to limit our spending to essentials but it is difficult when you have a DH who thinks he 'deserves' things as he works all week when he could be at home as he is ill. Now he has spends and when it is gone, it's gone.
    He is slowly learning!!

I have never really looked at my DFD before, because my debt is credit cards then potentially there is no end especially if I keep spending!!
    I have just put in my details to the snowball calculator and if I carry on as I am just paying the minimums (and not adding to the debt) I will be debt free in November 2029 :eek:

That is slightly better than when I did it a few years ago - it told me that Barclaycard would be paid off in 120 years :eek: so maybe it was best I defaulted!!

Obviously I will not be waiting until 2029 to be debt free - by then I want to be a home owner plus a separate smallholding and be nearly at retirement!!
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    New machine - have you tried aodotcom

Thanks Igamogam

I have looked at their website but mainly for the reviews.

Personally I don't find them that cheap when you factor in installation and removal of old etc

When we looked for a cooker last year it was the same price to go to a local supplier who did not charge for all the extras but the cost of the cooker was higher instead.

We have been out after work and think we have found what we want - it is a Siemens and should be £720 and is down to £599. They have some in stock so tomorrow afternoon I will be parting with my cash and bringing one home with me:T (Thank god - the washing pile has multiplied while I have been at work!!)
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    PAD today of £10.00.

Not much happening here but this weekend will be expensive with new glasses and new washing machine (think we may push the boat out and get a new microwave - ours has started rusting)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

We have been out after work and think we have found what we want - it is a Siemens and should be £720 and is down to £599. They have some in stock so tomorrow afternoon I will be parting with my cash and bringing one home with me:T (Thank god - the washing pile has multiplied while I have been at work!!)

Good grief is that what WM cost these days.........................:eek: We had to buy new FF earlier in the year which was £170 cheaper than 'large white goods supplier' shop and was delivered next day and old one taken away and for a FF no installation costs:D Actually I didnt think about installation for WM as OH is handy enough and would do it himself......he has his uses:D
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Housework*Fairy
    Options
    Just popping in to say hi, and I love your diary, you're so honest, I don't know how you manage to stay so upbeat xx

PS - my WM only cost about £250. It doesn't have any fancy shmancy settings but all I ever want is a quick 40 degree daily wash with the occasional boil wash. £500 on a washing machine does sound a bit expensive x
    Emergency savings: £0 saved / £4000 target
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    Good grief is that what WM cost these days.........................:eek: We had to buy new FF earlier in the year which was £170 cheaper than 'large white goods supplier' shop and was delivered next day and old one taken away and for a FF no installation costs:D Actually I didnt think about installation for WM as OH is handy enough and would do it himself......he has his uses:D

As HF said - Washing Machines can be quite cheap but as we went for a Siemens they are more expensive but I am hoping it will last as long as my old one.

My DH has installed our washing machine but for a cooker it has to be installed by someone qualified now the rules around electric have changed and if you do it yourself it invalidates the guarantee. DH is very handy and can install cookers but for our new one last year the company did it.
    I am lucky that DH used to install all manner of electrical appliances hence we try to get the better brands as we know which go wrong!!

I checked AO for our washing machine, the model we got has just been upgraded (literally a few months ago) and the usual price is £729 so as we got one for £599 I think that is a saving!!! (well it could have been even more of a saving if I went for a cheaper one) :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure