homemade presents and ungrateful family!!

Options

Comments

• jackomk
    Options
    What an ungrateful attitude. I wouldnt waste the energy getting yourself worked up about it. You and your kids obviously had fun putting the hamper together. At least your children will grow up with the right attitude towards life and will be grateful for whatever they recieve. Your BIL's children are going to suffer many disappointments in life if they are being brought up to be so materialistic. I agree with the others. Dont bother in future. Karma will come back to bite him, when one day he cant live up to his childrens expectations !!
  • karenrel
    Options
    Op - you rant away - you deserve it!!! It really grates me when people are unappreciative.
    My Mum put a lot of thought and effort into my Bro's kids (shop bought) pressies (they are all grown up and earn, whilst Mum is an OAP) and not one of them thanked her for their gifts, even when I prompted them with 'What did Nan get you?' in front of them. My kids on the other hand threw their arms around her and gave her a big kiss - I felt so proud!
    On the flip side, one of my closest friends gave homemade chutneys and choccies out and I was all excited about mine - but she gave me some really expensive makeup she knew i could never justify buying myself! ;-) Same friend gave me my birthday pressie week before and told me "Don't worry, I bought it on a 20% off day" - She knows I'm on a mission to convert her to my MSE ways!
  • lolly1981
    Options
    thank you everyone for such nice replies...makes me feel better, knowing that there are people out there who are likeminded!
    its weird cos as id just finished putting this years hampers together i was thinking what i could put in next years lol.
    next year tho it will only be the people i know will appreciate it!
    im in 2 minds whetehr to get the kids anything next year as i dont want them to miss out...but we have vowed that 2010 is the year we sort our life out being the start ofa new decade and all...the last 10 yrs havent been the best for me so am hoping that the next 10 will be better.
    i aim to sort all our finances out and really try to make a go of my avon business...which means there will be even more cut backs next year than there was this year!
    so next year there will be more homemade gifts...but not for him!! :D
  • delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    Options
    My kids would be overjoyed if they were told (they're only 5 and 7) that their present had been made especially for them.

That family sound just annoying :(
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lolly1981 wrote: »
    am hoping that the next 10 will be better.

I am sure that with such a lovely, generous and thoughtful attitude such as your family seem to have it can only get better - heres to the next 10:beer:
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • poppyolivia
    poppyolivia Posts: 2,976 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    omg are you being serious?.....never mind not giving them presents next year I wouldn't want to give them the time of day!!...tell him to go stuff himself and his family along with the turkey...

hey you can make me a hamper!!!lol
    You may walk and you may run
    You leave your footprints all around the sun
    And every time the storm and the soul wars come
    You just keep on walking
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What an ungrateful bunch of so and sos. I would be delighted if someone had gone to the trouble of putting together a basket of homemade goodies for me. It's quite sad when you think about it.

I didn't buy toys for my boys for Christmas this year. I bought them some Meccano and they have been playing with it constantly since Christmas Day building different things. The one thing I noticed was a lot less rubbish to be put out. The years when they have had toys, which in the end, get broken and clutter the house up, there was several bags of rubbish rather than just one with christmas wrap in it which can be recycled.

Try not to let it upset you, his behaviour says more about him than you. He needs to go and take a look at himself. Enjoy your Christmas and carry on what you are doing. Christmas is about having fun and spending time with your kids, family etc so carry on and try not to let OH's side upset you, it's not worth it.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have every right to be FURIOUS!! No body should be rude about any gift, let alone one the whole family have spent time and effort putting together. Agree not to exchange gifts again and put it behind you.

Thanks to this site I made 'family night in' hampers for the first time and I had more fun doing them than all the other christmas shopping!! Luckily they were well received and I shall certainly be doing more varied hampers next year.

Love and hugs to you all.
    Slightly bitter
  • lolly1981
    Options
    my fav comment from his was that kids 'expect toys to open' well im sure they dont and unless they are really spoilt bratty children (which his dont seem to be) then i dont know many who do!

my ds1 whos 5 asked on his santa list for a venus flytrap (or in his words and infinious flytrap lol), a torch, some pjs, pants, a wheres wally book and a nerf dart gun (this one santa did not provide but thats a diffrent story lol)
    he obviously did get other things...mostly board games we play as a family or something he can play with his step brother...ask him what his fav presents where and they are the stitch pillow (lilo and stitch), his buzz lightyear quilt and a pokeball thing we got him!...so only 1 of those is toys not bad i say.

sorry that was completly OT lol....my point is that not every child expects toys and most usually find it ios something other than a toy that becomes the favourite...one of my most memorable presents as a kid was 2 famous 5 books that 18 yrs later i still owna nd they stemmed a passion for the books :)
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    I'm really sorry for the response you received from your thoughtful, caring, time consuming gifts you gave.

I think its utterly disgraceful of anyone to respond in the way he did to you and your family.

Please, please, please don't let it affect you in any way...someone like that just doesnt deserve to have a moment of thought wasted on them.

I agree with you.....dont concentrate on what he has said but on the great fun loving time you spent as a family preparing these baskets....and next year do the same but for you to all have :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport