PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Got a chinese takeaway tonight as we didn't go out. Not adding it as DH bought it. Have to say though other than the chicken and sweetcorn soup it was pretty dire. DS2 will no doubtedly stuff it down whatever tomorrow though after his usual weekend of partying. The plastic takeaway boxes always come in handy though for freezing stuff. I've got some stewed chicken in the freezer so I bought some creamed corn to see if the two mixed together are anything like C&S soup.

I have been snowed in most of the week and have therefore not bought much but have been making lots of HM meals and using up stuff. Freezer is now absolutely crammed so I think we need to work on using that next week.

Will probably be eating out tomorrow as going to DS1 and DIL as they are expecting their 1st baby and she has had a scare recently and been told not to move far away from home. They are pretty skint so DH will probably offer to pay for us to go out to treat them. We are not struggling financially but I don't like to waste money and save wherever I can even if only to be able to help the kids out and hopefully retire early. I'm aiming to retire at 50.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • Button21
    Button21 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there guys,

Am I too late to join the grocery challenge?? If not, can you put me down for £40 per week!

Thank you!

Button x
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

"Oh sh*t.......she's awake!! "
  • notjustlaura
    Options
    Another NSD for me today - maybe snow has its benefits? Likely another today as I doubt I'll be going out and there's nothing I need to do in the way of online shopping. My cooking from the grocery shop is done until the next delivery on Tuesday although I may try my hand at making pizza for tonight's dinner - depends how my WW point stack up.

NJW69 - hope DS1, DIL and baby are all OK. How far along is DIL?

Button21 - Welcome from another newbie.

Laura
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Button hellowave.gif Welcome to the thread, it's great here & everyone is very helpful so if you have any questions just ask away.

Check out the first few posts at the beginning of the thread (on page 1) as there is a lot of useful advice there. Also the recipes which start to be listed from Post 3 downwards are brilliant HSstars.gif Rosieben hunts them down from all over the Old Style board and keeps them all together for us.

Always remember that we don't fail, we learn & move on.

Good luck!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 January 2010 at 11:33AM
    Options
    Button21 wrote: »
    Hi there guys,

Am I too late to join the grocery challenge?? If not, can you put me down for £40 per week!

Thank you!

Button x

its never too late to join the grocery challenge! Welcome Button :j Helen will be along to add you to the list soon. Good luck with your first challenge! :cool:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • herewegoagain2010
    Options
    NSD for me again :j6/12 - half way there
    I can't believe how quickly the thread is growing. My first ever GC and I'm really enjoying it. Before the GC i used to overbuy and not plan meals. I'd be so disorganised, that I'd be making store cupboard and freezer teas, when I had fresh things to use up. As a family, we have a weekly budget set for weekly spending and last week we managed to save £80.:A I've never had anywhere near that left, at the most it's been enough for a takeaway, which we always had rather than save the money. Hubby is working away at the minute, so it was fab to be able to give him the 'saved' £80, rather than him putting on his card or attacking the joint account. It's easier for him, especially in this weather as he can't always get to a cash point too. It's snowing again here, in snow shocker. Heating on and we're snuggled up for the day now. x
    Starting again and working towards our new df life!
    A very proud forces wife
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps get a bottle of washing up liquid & give the dishwasher a holiday until the cash is flowing a little more? I don't have a dw but I think the tablets etc are expensive, altho there is a powder apparently & I've just found this.
    I've looked at loads of threads this week so can't remember who or where I saw it, but someone suggested using blankets & sheeting for Bunnie; might be able to find something suitable from family &/or friends, or maybe cut up some bits from a charity shop.
    I now only use detergent to wash the dirtiest of clothes after seeing Liz Earle say she does 80% of her laundry with just water. It's more to do with delicate skin [for us] & being environmentally aware [for her] , but still saves a goodly amount on the grocery bill!
    Value shower gel gets put into 'branded' pump dispensers & watered down by at least a half to provide perfectly good hand wash in the loo. Actually, this thread on Sneaky ways to Save Pennies is excellent & well worth the time to read thru so please don't be put off by its length :o Having a growing family & restricted budget is all too familiar to me so I guess I've a bit of a head-start on you, but I still learn so much from this site every day. Good Luck. x
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    son-in-law bought me bread,milk,newspaper and some veg yesterday so I didn't have to venture out so another fiver bit the dust but I'm still pleased that to date I have only spent 12.78 this year
  • purple_angel_3
    Options
    Went to Mr A's yesterday,very busy, spent £78.39. Only need to top up with bread, milk, fruit and veg for the rest of the month.

purple_angel
    July NSD's 10/20
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just updated my signature following top up shop at local Budgens yesterday. Despite the extra expense of small shops I am not too worried as I have £180 left in the budget to last to 28th -£10 per day which should be more than enough!

Went to Somerset yesterday to collect MIL before the next lot of snow set in. She was staying with SIL but wanted to be back home even if it means she can't go out till it thaws! Journey was ok once we got out of our village which is still a bit dicey. I think I may have to attempt the journey to work tomorrow -but all good things must come to an end I suppose!

Have put chicken in oven for lunch with roast tatties and parnsips and another loaf is proving in the bm, so when we get back from church it should smell lovely here! Will catch up on the posts when we get back.

Have a good day everyone.

Moniker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family