£161,044.25 reasons to be mortgage free

Options

Comments

• IHateDida
    IHateDida Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    Options
    Hi WABL - firstly congratulations on baby 3! A little one won't take up much more space the and the rate you are going, you'll be in a good place to look for something bigger when the time comes.

Your thread has been a bit of an inspiration as our mortgage, although not in negative equity (yet!), stands at £126,414 (I checked the other day!) and compared to most on here - it sounds loads. So I am in sort of the same boat with the "heftiness" of mortgage debt as you are!

I love your mortgage pig - ours is called Porcha and sits in our lounge - we've probably overpaid about £8k since taking out our current mortgage and you just realise how much you end up saving. The only problem is that when you look at how slowly it goes down, you sometimes get disheartened. So thank you - your thread has given me some common ground, and I look forward to your updates!
  • Madcatgirl
    Options
    Hi there - congrats on your mortgage free journey and baby No 3! I think I need to start my own thread on here as I'm getting lots on inspiration from reading others. We have a flat, but in my OH's name only and although the mortgage is cheap as you like (and only 2 x our joint income), he is in negative equity so we can't move to any of the bargain 3 bed victorian houses in our area that seem to be on the market at the moment!!! Grrrr, buying at the height of the market.

Good luck with feeding Percy!! x
    March 2016 - £178,914.59; July 2017 £146,160.38
    Mortgage end Sept 2043; Target - pay off by March 2022, now Sept 2021
    Target balance July 2018 £112,560
  • wantabetterlife
    Options
    Hi Madcatgirl, thanks for popping by, the house things is a catch 22 situation isnt it? Goodluck with your plans

Ihatedida, i know what you mean about the heftiness of the mortgage, and it is great to know we are not the only ones with 6 figure mortgages:eek:. I have to admit i feel a bit jealous when i read of others mortgages that are sooo much less than ours, but i suppose you have to start somewhere and hopefully that will be us too one day:D

The mortgage pig is a great idea isnt it. I have just deposited £20 in ours as OH didnt go golfing as he had planned to, so it wont be missed. I have just noticed that percy has been the victim of GBH in our house...... as half his foot is missing...no doubt this has been caused by my over enthusiastic daughter climbing onto the window sill to feed him ......:rotfl:.

Have also noticed that i have been promoted to a "money saving stalwart".....must tell OH...he finds all this lingo hilarious :D
    Also came in under budget for groceries in January :j.
    WABL
    Credit card £4461.15Home mortgage £137117Buy to let mortgage £83,000
  • mummyofonechild
    Options
    Hi WABL, sorry to jump on the bandwagon. Have only just started on the road to be mortgage free, but where did you get your mortgage pig from. She is absolutely gorgeous. Has to be a she with that colour. Good luck with your quest. From a Newbie :)
    Mortgage Free as of 31/5/11 :j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • wantabetterlife
    Options
    Hi Mummy of one child. the pig was bought from an online shop called purple puffin for £6.50 inc delivery, they come in three colours and you cant pick the colour so the one i got was blue and hes lovely:D:D. I have been reading your diary and goodluck on your journey.
    WABL
  • mummyofonechild
    Options
    Thank You, will have a look. I would love a pink one tho :p
    Mortgage Free as of 31/5/11 :j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone else find this "paying off your mortgage" lark so slow at times, there are so many times when i feel like i am getting nowhere and get really frustrated:(

Hi hun :) This has been me for the last month :( I think it's the new year blues

:beer: here's to plodding on

and congrats on baby 3 :T
    and getting under the Jan grocery budget :T
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • Kate_A
    Kate_A Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Hi WABL

Big Congrats on baby no.3!!!!!! That is great news. At least by baby no.3 there is much less expense involved - although I always want to buy something new for each baby. I hope to be joining you in the baby club in the not too distant future (will be no.3 for us too).

We keep looking at other houses too and as much as I want to be mortgage free I think we will move at some point in the next few years and I bet we will add loads to our mortgage!! All the more reason to get it down now I suppose and YES it is a frustratingly slow process making OP's!! On that note I am off too look online at a house that has just come on the market - oops!!

Kate
    Mortgage Aug 2014£185000 Mortgage Today £167012
    Total Overpaid £17988

:jSmall steps will get there in the end:j
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Stork.gif Congrats on your fantastic news. Lucky you:D
  • wantabetterlife
    Options
    Thanks SMF2, Kate A, smlsave and mummyofonechild!!
    Smlsave i think your right about the new year blues :(.
    In an effort to keep myself motivated i made a £200 overpayment today, it is less than i wanted to make but have had to tweak things a bit to pay the £485 land management fees. Hoping to make more payments before the end of the month.

Have also phoned the halifax and have increased our normally monthly payment on the fixed part of our mortgage by £45, this knocks two and a half years of the mortgage :j:j

Checked halifax online today and we have eventually went sub £160k:D:D:D. It feels great psychologically for the mortgage to start with £159:j

The good old nausea and tiredness of pregnancy is really kicking off :(....and i thought i had escaped it this time....not.

KateA hopefully you will be joining me in the baby club. Shouldnt be that much expense for us as we have most things. My sister in law looks after our 2 for us whilst we are at work but she wont be able to take on another one as she is pregnant herself, so the biggest expense for us will be childcare as we will probably have to get someone registered!!
    WABL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family