New Thrifty Gifty - Organised for Christmas and all ocassions 2010- Santas Challenges

edited 17 September 2010 at 9:42PM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
6.2K replies 405.4K views

Replies

• Janebo12Janebo12 Forumite
    278 Posts
    Sugarhunny - just wanted to say a big thank you for the spreadsheet - I spent around 2 hours last night filling it all in - it will be such a big help to me :T

I've been having a sort out in my bedroom for the past few days and have found a small carved wooden box with those joss stick thingys inside - so will put those aside for my niece. Also when I went to Church yesterday, I got a box of 24 luxury christmas cards for £1.50 and a school set (pens, rulers, compasses etc) for 80p to put aside.

I also had a good look through my gifts and have a couple that I won't use, so they will be passed on as well.

Hooray! I've made a start!! :j
    Thrifty Gifty February make £20 challenge £21.05/£20.
  • mary-opmary-op Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Hello all :j
    Don't know what the weathers like with you bit we've still got yesterdays snow and had frost on top this morning:eek: At this rate I'll never get out of the house :eek:
    (not one to take chances on dodgy pavements!)
    Electric chap came today to change electric meter to little digital one.............all free of charge so thats ok.
    Actually made some Christmas cards................:j Well, just 4 but gave me something to do while the electric chap was here.
    Fiddled about with MIL's cards adding bit of decoration to the birthday cards..............flicked through some scrapbook sites and wouldn't you know -everything that was cheap and I wanted was #out of stock' !!
    Oh well, onward and upward...............as they say
    Stay warm:j
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
  • Wendy5704Wendy5704 Forumite
    364 Posts
    saffstar wrote: »
    Chillin nutta - thanks for the link to the boxes, someone mentioned 'hatboxes' on here a couple of days ago but I couldn't find them on the Argos site - got the last set anywhere near me thanks to your link :)

Here is the link for the hat boxes

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?jspStoreDir=argos&catalogId=1500001801&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FSearch%3FstoreId%3D10001&cmpid=COJUN&langId=-1&searchTerms=STORAGE+BOXES+PRETTY&referrer=COJUN&Submit=GO+%3E&storeId=10001

They are a bargain at £4.99. I have reserved some for collection tomorrow.
  • jamtart6jamtart6 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Hat boxes out of stock here :(

Anyone got any inventive ideas for my wrapping next year? I am RUBBISH at wrapping, I want everything to be in boxes next year, but some things don't come in boxes naturally so any ideas what to do? dont want to buy gift boxes in shops as they are so expensive. I know someone who saves cereal boxes but seems a bit naff to me? Any ideas?

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• mary-opmary-op Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    jamtart - I get shoe boxes (free) from local shoe shop -handy for me for the stuff I have to post particularly.
    I read somewhere about cereal boxes............not such a bad idea if they're covered with pretty paper, holes punch in the top to put ribbon in.............I've got some boxes I get those mocha/cappacino sachets in.......must rescue one of them before OH shoves it in the recycling bin .............be a good little practice one for a gift bag.

loopychris - umm..........you got me thinking now. Don't know whether MIL would appreciate all the time I've spent..............maybe if I just covered another notelet box -got plenty.......lol and bought some cheap notelets she'd be just as thrilled.
    Makes it harder to part with it as I've covered a little notebook in the same paper, as well as a small hat box and a really nice organiser with space for birthdays/christmas etc. Now I've spotted a box that I could cover and put the whole lot it...................lol Could turn the hatbox into a 'pamper box'............:rolleyes:
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
  • nannyboo1nannyboo1 Forumite
    514 Posts
    OMG how many pages have I missed. I promised hubby I wouldn't spend all my time on threads over Christmas and got on top of all my paperwork. I loved last years thread and when I started reading it in July had no hopes for Christmas as couldn't afford many presents for anyone and in the end made lovely presents thanks to all the lovely ladies on the thread.

I am going to try and be regular on here but if I don't post regularly I apologise in advance am determined to keep on top of my paperwork.
    :wave: Kate :hello:
  • Wendy5704 wrote: »

Great find Wendy :T I can highly recommend these. I brought them (at full price) before Christmas for hampers and they are much nice then the Argos photo shows too.
    Member of Thrifty Gifty ~ Making money for Christmas 2010:
    £2 Savers club member no 40 ~ £54
    Amazon Vouchers BingoPort ~ £10
    Dooyoo Challenge Jan ~ £24.07 / £20.00 Yippee over target :j
  • loopychrissloopychriss Forumite
    796 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    jamtart6 wrote: »
    Hat boxes out of stock here :(

Anyone got any inventive ideas for my wrapping next year? I am RUBBISH at wrapping, I want everything to be in boxes next year, but some things don't come in boxes naturally so any ideas what to do? dont want to buy gift boxes in shops as they are so expensive. I know someone who saves cereal boxes but seems a bit naff to me? Any ideas?

I save any boxes that I can during the year. If you buy anything that comes in a box, save it. Or ask other people if you can have the box if they buy stuff. I am well known for asking "can I have the box please" if I give a pressie in a box, or if anyone has a box that they would throw out! I cover them with Christmas paper and then put the gift inside, saves wrapping them again.

I like to mislead people with my presents, and put them in any number of different shaped boxes and containers to throw them off the scent as to what they have. Wrap a CD or DVD up as it is, and they'll easily guess. Put it in a bigger box, or pad it out with bubble wrap, then wrap it, and they won't know what it is till they open it.

I've already got quite a selection of boxes for next Christmas - just need the presents to go in them now!
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

• loopychrissloopychriss Forumite
    796 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    mary-op wrote: »
    loopychris - umm..........you got me thinking now. Don't know whether MIL would appreciate all the time I've spent..............maybe if I just covered another notelet box -got plenty.......lol and bought some cheap notelets she'd be just as thrilled.
    Makes it harder to part with it as I've covered a little notebook in the same paper, as well as a small hat box and a really nice organiser with space for birthdays/christmas etc. Now I've spotted a box that I could cover and put the whole lot it...................lol Could turn the hatbox into a 'pamper box'............:rolleyes:

Well.... you've certainly got a dilemma there! If you have time and the notelets are easy to make I'd say make them - if you have the materials there already and wouldn't have to buy anything. Even if you bought cheap notelets, you've still got to spend out on them.

I'm intending to make my step-mother-in-law some notelets: I've already got tons of cards here from my previous spendthrift days, so it's more economical for me to use them and make mine. Just need a nice box!
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

• mum2onemum2one Forumite
    16.3K Posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wotnext wrote: »
    I went to Sainsburys today and bought so much stuff! Have managed to get enough to prepare 6 hampers for next Christmas, as well as having a few gifts left over to give out should my kids be invited to parties.

Am absolutely delighted that I now have so much to work with for my first year of hamper giving. I can now start crafting and making.

I paid £37 for stuff that should have cost £100. :money:

That is brilliant saving, got to be nosey what hampers are u doing? unless its chocolate for my uncle sort of lost after that!!
    xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides