Boost Your Tesco Clubcard Points Discussion

Options

Comments

• sharkmark
    sharkmark Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    The current Tesco clubcard credit card states that you get 5 points for every £4 that you spend in Tesco -

See .... http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/finance/creditcards/clubcc/index.jsp

my question is this...

Does this mean that you get 5 points you collect for every £4 PLUS the 4 points you would normally get on your normal clubcard (TOTAL of 9 points for every £4)......

OR

......does it mean you get 5 points on your clubcard instead of the normal 4 points (ToTAL OF 5 POINTS FOR EVERY £4 SPENT)

the latter is quite rubbish but I have presumed (perhaps wrongly) this is the case....

Any help gratefully received as I rang Tesco and the lady didn't really understand my question...:confused:
    Tesco is my second home
    :j
  • Eccle_2
    Eccle_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    I'm fairly sure it's the second, so basically the same as using your normal Clubcard and the normal number of points you earn outside Tesco. I'm lucky in that I've had a Tesco Credit card for ages and get a better rate of points earning on it.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only 'instead' of the normal 4 points - yes it is duff

As for the Clubcard Plus Account - don't think you can use CC to put money on it - I thought this when first opened - let me know if you mange it
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Tesco credit card and use it for all my large purchases to get the points. I can actually pay cash for these items but I don't. Recently bought a TV and fridgefreezer. My friend has a shop, he buys his stock with his Tesco credit card, taking it up to the limit each month, and clearing the balance every month, he gets loads of points.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • borderlakland
    borderlakland Posts: 772 Forumite
    Options
    Ilona wrote: »
    I have a Tesco credit card and use it for all my large purchases to get the points. I can actually pay cash for these items but I don't. Recently bought a TV and fridgefreezer. My friend has a shop, he buys his stock with his Tesco credit card, taking it up to the limit each month, and clearing the balance every month, he gets loads of points.
    Ilona

your friend has the right idea its only worth using tesco credit card to gain points if u pay it off completly each month(unless you are still on 0%) as the interest you pay will soon far outweigh the value of the xtra points gained
    Lead us not into temptation...

just tell us where it is and we'll find it....
  • Domthemon
    Domthemon Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    sharkmark wrote: »
    The current Tesco clubcard credit card states that you get 5 points for every £4 that you spend in Tesco -

See .... http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/finance/creditcards/clubcc/index.jsp

my question is this...

Does this mean that you get 5 points you collect for every £4 PLUS the 4 points you would normally get on your normal clubcard (TOTAL of 9 points for every £4)......

OR

......does it mean you get 5 points on your clubcard instead of the normal 4 points (ToTAL OF 5 POINTS FOR EVERY £4 SPENT)

the latter is quite rubbish but I have presumed (perhaps wrongly) this is the case....

Any help gratefully received as I rang Tesco and the lady didn't really understand my question...:confused:

This has been asked before and shows that Tesco's sales patter works. The advertising is correct (in that you do get 5 points for every 4 pounds spent) but most people clearly don't take into account that you would get 4 points whatever method you use to pay: it would be more transparent to say that you get one point extra for every £4, because this is allyour credit card gives you,but they don't because quite frankly that sounds crap.

I have one of the old cards and get the one extra point for every £2 spent (6 in total for £4 spent) and pay it off religiously in full every month.

I have two friends who I have tried to convert but they have said they just can't be disciplined enough. One mate cancelled all his CC's because he couldn't trust himself not to use them :confused: The same guy subsequently couldn't resist the temptation and ran up a big debt again - not on essentials but stupid things he didn't need :eek:

To me it is simply cash which is deferred by a few weeks, I would never dream of going on a spree because to me it is totally plain obvious you have to pay it back and if you don't do it at the end of the month you will effectively be fined. Most people can resist driving around at 95mph because of the risk of getting fined etc so I don't get the temptation to spend when you KNOW 100% you will then get effectively fined :confused:

Sorry, way off topic. I have finished with the soapbox now :T

Dom
  • Domthemon
    Domthemon Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Shawz wrote: »
    To boost my clubcard points I asked round at work for the people who shop at tesco but don't use a clubcard, Found that only one or two people don't use a card. They then save their receipts for me and I take them to cust service with the usual "Sorry didn't have my card with me last time I came shopping"

I found out recently that you can only do this for receipts that are less than 6 weeks old.

:naughty: Yeah just watch yourself though. CS have a habit of spotting such unusual regular activity and cancelling your card and all the points on it. We won't redo the old fraud argument again (see earlier posts on this thread) but that is how they view it because YOU aren't entitled to the points. Its the same reason why in most cases they don't pile up the computers for schools vouchers by the till and give them to the next person who wants them - these and clubcard points scheme are marketted on a certain take-up figure, which isn't 100%. In other words you aren't simply getting points they would have given away anyway or put another way if everyone did what you are doing the scheme would quickly be devalued by Tesco to reduce the cost (no extra income for them but increased outgoings)

Sorry (grumpy tonight :angry:)

Just be very careful cos they do monitor this activity and jump on it, as others have the misfortune to recall.

Dom
  • borderlakland
    borderlakland Posts: 772 Forumite
    Options
    hi there one way to ease suspicion is to have 2 or more clubcard reg by houshold members and vary which card u use to add points to and use dif tesco stores if poss or if u dont have another store close enuf by try and vary the days &times u go to cs to use different cs peeps or get someone else to take them in for u just to break the pattern
    Lead us not into temptation...

just tell us where it is and we'll find it....
  • sharkmark
    sharkmark Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for earlier answers... I have another unrelated question...

Let's say I got sent a 500 points when you buy a BRAUN Multimixer and I subsequently bought the item and used the voucher....I have now (ahem) changed my mind and wish to return the item for a refund....

I presume the points stay on my account as system is not sophisticated enough to take them off again....???!

(P>S Thanks for taking time to reply to these questions - it really is appreciated!)
    Tesco is my second home
    :j
  • Westywoodpecker
    Westywoodpecker Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    Options
    I've done that a couple of times and managed to keep hold of my points, I think it depends on who serves you though.
    Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure