PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

carpet cleaning

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, there! Red colours are notoriously difficult to remove. Have you tried some stardrops?

I'll add your question to an earlier thread on carpet cleaning - you may get more ideas.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hurumphh! Ex lodger did this, then moved the bed over it to cover it!

He says it's Ribena and that it happened when he moved out almost two weeks ago, but me and bf suspect it's Snakebite (on the way back up) when him and bf got slaughtered on it at Xmas.

Any suggestions? 1001 is not budging it one little bit.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi pollyanna,

This sounds as though it will be a difficult one. :(

There are lots of suggestions on removing stains from carpets on this thread:

carpet cleaning

I'll add your question to that one later as it helps to keep the suggestions together. Good luck with getting it out.

Pink
  • Confused_Newbie
    Options
    Hi Guys

Have a problem with the carpet in my living room. It is a cream/beige colour and there appears to be a rather large stain (looks suspiciously like muck) on it.

Have tried washing it with warm water/cold water/1001 carpet cleaner but its still there.

Has anyone got any OS tips or hints that I could try?

Thanks
    CN xoxox
    June £10 A Day Challenge - £0/£150.00
    June Grocery Challenge - £57.47/£200.00
  • bagpuss_fan
    bagpuss_fan Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    I use vanish soap bar on my carpets, it even gets out oil that has been there for ages.

If it's a "pet" stain, you might find it keeps on coming back. If it smells, sprinkle baking powder on it, leave overnight and then hoover off.
    :rolleyes: Call of Duty widow :rolleyes:
  • Confused_Newbie
    Options
    Thanks Bagpuss!

I think its my darling hubby walking across the mucky grass instead of up the path and then just plodding on in across the carpet!

Now stand at the front door as he comes in and make him take his shoes off!! Lol
    June £10 A Day Challenge - £0/£150.00
    June Grocery Challenge - £57.47/£200.00
  • bagpuss_fan
    bagpuss_fan Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    my Mum has the same problem and recently gave me a stick thing she said is excellent for cleaning mud off carpets, it says "Janie dry stick spot and carpet cleaner".

I haven't used mine yet because I have a vax and I clean the entire carpet (due to 2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 children incapable of wiping their feet, DH with oily boots!!)

Mum swears by hers though, it came from Lakeland, and they're on Amazon for £4.99.
    :rolleyes: Call of Duty widow :rolleyes:
  • Herbaholic
    Herbaholic Posts: 304 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My OH does this as well, never wipes his feet grrrrr! So we get the odd muddy patch, if you have some white vinegar you can use that (1 part white vinegar to 4 parts water), leave it on the stain for a few minutes then rinse the solution out with hot water, I tip a cup on and blot it off with a cloth and do that a few times until the vinegar smell has gone. Finally blot dry with an old towel. The vinegar smell will go after a while honest :)

Better still do as I did, teach the OH to do it, if he has to clean up after himself he may just learn to wipe his feet :rotfl:
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
  • JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    I was told once (and have since done this), mix up a small amount of washing clothes liquid with hot water and rub this into the area. Has always worked for me.
  • Soapy955
    Soapy955 Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    It was my daughter's 4th birthday last week and she forgot to tell me that she had taken a bowl of strawberry jelly up to her bedroom and dropped it on her carpet!! I found it the next day by which time it had stained. I have tried Stardrops and just spraying anti-bacterial cleaner on it just to get a foam going but nothing seems to shift it.

Is there any other "Old style" method of removing it or must I put a rug over it? :o

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    I'm so sorry if you were enjoying this thread and mine is the last post!!

I seem to have a nasty habit of killing threads!
    :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport