Naked wines - watch your bank account

Options

Comments

• Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can cancel an Angel account online via their website - you don't need to phone or even email them! It's really easy. Just log-in, go to your Angel account and click "cancel". Genuinely could not be easier.

By way of disclosure I've been an Angel for over a year and can hand on heart say Naked's customer service is second to none. Any issues I have had, they have sorted, often throwing in freebies in addition. For example. In January I ordered 6 bottles of a wine - the last of that vintage. Their courier managed to smash them and failed to deliver. Naked refunded me in full, but also scoured around the place to see if they had any more bottles - and sent what they could find to me free of charge.

By the way - just because you 100% agree with someone doesn't mean they are 100% correct ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 August 2015 at 9:18PM
    Options
    Lavendyr wrote: »
    By way of disclosure I've been an Angel for over a year and can hand on heart say Naked's customer service is second to none.

I don't think that this aspect of their business was under the spotlight here and it muddies the waters of what is being discussed. Hypothetically, for the vast majority consumers I would imagine, it is not ok to justify a business being sneaky in one area by virtue of being great in other areas. You may well of course disagree with that. I may still sign up myself, but I am less likely to now.

Yes, you could argue that the unhappy ones should be more careful, but you could equally argue that it is wrong for companies to encourage or even make it easy for people to make mistakes.
    Lavendyr wrote: »
    By the way - just because you 100% agree with someone doesn't mean they are 100% correct.

This would depend on what the said person had said... ;)
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    I ave been an angel for a couple of years now. I think Naked Wines are fantastic, their customer service and resolution to delivery/other issues is second to none. You feel as though you are really dealing with a person not an organisation. The wines are great too.
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    I've probably said this before - Naked Wines have always sounded better than they are.
    I don't wish to get into supermarket economics but, in my experience, £10 for a bottle of French red in tesco will almost guarantee you something drinkable, if not actually good. £10 on a bottle from naked wines? Russian roulette. I've had a few cases from them in the past, always thinking that they'll get better. They never do.
    Notwithstanding their fascination with the new world (ugh!) and Spain (uuugggh!), their old world stuff is cooking quality at best.
    Avoid. Their wine is crap.
  • RobinCloke
    Options
    I had an offer from Ticketmaster which had a 30 day Claim Limit. The wine I wanted to buy was only available to "Angels" cannot be an Anger in less than 31 days.
    What a CON
  • kevinthewineman
    Options
    Naked are typical of these types of company. The CEO was the main man for Sunday Times, Bordeaux Direct, Laithwaites, Virgon wines etc etc and ALL apply the same tactic to sales.

It is impossible to sell and deliver wines at these prices and you cannot buy any wines at the non angel price so it's the typical market trader approach of mark it high to knock the price down to give the illusion of a bargain.

They all adopt a white label approach just like the supermarkets of selling the same wine under different labels every few weeks and just changing the price.

And as for helping poor little growers who are starving....give me a break. They are buying the wines anyway.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Well, I am still happy with both the wines and the customer service which is second to none. I have had a couple of issues with the freebie not being available but they respond quickly and compensate very adequately for any mistakes.
  • PODSTER56
    Options
    It may not be a scam by the legal definition but you certainly don't make the savings that they claim. many of their wines are vastly over priced to start with, even with the discount they claim you are getting there are other places selling the same wine cheaper, so your not saving anything. I have found some wines being sold by other retailers as much as half the price naked wines claim as the normal price, and those retailers arn't saying the price they sell for is discounted, they sell at that price all the time, just do an online search and you will see it with your own eyes. Also, most of the wines they sell they claim retail around £11, yet many of them are exclusive to naked wines so they can say the usual price is anything they want and you have nothing to prove otherwise. The proof is in the taste though, almost any £11 bottle of wine purchased from a high street store will be better that the bottles naked wines claim are £11 bottle, personal taste will obviously play a part in some cases. Wine drinking is in fashion at the moment ant they are playing on peoples ego to be in a "wine club".
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    PODSTER56 wrote: »
    It may not be a scam by the legal definition but you certainly don't make the savings that they claim. many of their wines are vastly over priced to start with, even with the discount they claim you are getting there are other places selling the same wine cheaper, so your not saving anything. I have found some wines being sold by other retailers as much as half the price naked wines claim as the normal price, and those retailers arn't saying the price they sell for is discounted, they sell at that price all the time, just do an online search and you will see it with your own eyes. Also, most of the wines they sell they claim retail around £11, yet many of them are exclusive to naked wines so they can say the usual price is anything they want and you have nothing to prove otherwise. The proof is in the taste though, almost any £11 bottle of wine purchased from a high street store will be better that the bottles naked wines claim are £11 bottle, personal taste will obviously play a part in some cases. Wine drinking is in fashion at the moment ant they are playing on peoples ego to be in a "wine club".
    Thanks. Do you work for them!
  • PODSTER56
    Options
    @ BLACKBEARD OF PERRANPORTH, what kind of dumb question is "do I work for them", can you read, I am pointing out to people that the wines they sell are not the fantastic deals that they make out, I would hardly say anything so critical of them if I worked for them would I you fool.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback