BT Connection Charges (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• aphrodite77
    Options
    I phoned BT to ask if they would consider waiving the connection fee....well you gotta try dontcha! I bet you can guess what they said!

Anyway, we have been trying to get Bulldog to connect us, but because we are in a new build, on a new street, with a new postcode, it is taking FOREVER! No one seems to be very helpful at Bulldog either and keep sending emails to the activation department!

Has anyone else had this problem with Bulldog?? I am tearing my hair out! I am seriously thinking of resorting to connecting to BT!:rolleyes:
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Bulldog have announced that, from 1/7/06, they won't be offering new residential BB connections. I wonder if that means they'll also cease standard landline provisioning too.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • ooo000ooo
    ooo000ooo Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    Donnailli wrote:
    Ok. It was probably the way they worded it. I'll check again on the broadband. So if I go with the £11 BT line rental I should be able to go elsewhere for the broadband. Does the broadband automatically get connected with the £125 fee? Will I need anything else set up when I go elsewhere? Can another company get me on broadband straight away while I continue to be on BT's line retail? Companies are talking to me about paying a cancellation fee to get out of BT etc. Do BT need to know that I require Broadband. So many questions! A dummies guide and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

When ordering a new line you should mention that you will be wanting to use broadband on the line (they should try and sell you BT broadband but you don't have to take it) this should ensure that when your line is installed it's a "direct" line and not connected using line sharing equipment ( DACS) which isn't broadband compatible. Once the line is installed you will be billed for the connection charge and subject to a 12 month contract. If you cancel the service (switch to another supplier/move house etc.) within 9 months of the installation date you will be charged a disconnection fee (£18 for residential i think, £35 for business). Outside of 9 months you'll just pay whatever is left of the original 12 month contract. If your new house is a one off, halfway up a mountain you may also be charged excess construction which is dictated by how much cable, how many poles, how much duct work etc. is required to provide service and usually starts at about £400. (I've seen one job for a line to a building on the edge of a cliff a few miles from civilisation that was going to cost £400,000!!!!!)
  • burgers3
    burgers3 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Dose any one now how to get connected to BT (new house) with out having to pay there over priced connection costs ie £129.99:mad: I cant beliesve how they can charge so much to connect me when they charge me soooooo much for my land line . Thanks
  • itn
    itn Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    hey mate, no disrespect, but do a search and you will other moneysavers who have asked the same question, if its a new build you got to pay, its gonna cost bt money to have lines installed, so its got to be passed on to the customers...
  • macminiuser
    macminiuser Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    You can get a standard residential line installed (compatible with any broadband provider who says, 'requires a BT line') by a BT OpenReach engineer for £116.33 (payable on receipt of first invoice, not up front) from at least one of the independent telephone service providers.

The one I'm aware of doesn't have a contract period of any kind, so you could get the line installed, save yourself at least £8.66 and not be tied to BT for 3 months for calls, and/or a year for line rental.
    Fasthosts ruined my life
  • normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options
    itn wrote:
    hey mate, no disrespect, but do a search and you will other moneysavers who have asked the same question, if its a new build you got to pay, its gonna cost bt money to have lines installed, so its got to be passed on to the customers...

isnt it, everything costs to provide & if he's got enough money to fork out for a new home then £129 for a new phone line shouldnt really be much of a squeeze for him
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am in the same boat mate, but after reading on here, you got to take it on the chin unfortunatelly, by the way i found out that in new builds, say you have 3 telephone points, Bt origianlly lays the cable to the house, then the Houseing company's lecky's install the internal telephone lines, then when contected, the BT guy comes back connects the original line up and disconnects the others that the housing company had installed, then when BT go, they are connected up again!

Madness or what, but it's all rule's and reg's apparently!!

btw - are you really tied to BT calls for 3 months? I thought i could use a Carrier ASAP???
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    BT allow you to CPS your calls or use an indirect supplier Eg 1899/18185/18866 as soon as your line is connected.As deefadog points out.
    PF.
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    think thats bad they wanted over £100 just to have an extra point installed!! i dont see how thats as much work as installing a while new line!
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport