PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Thread - Monday 30th November

Options
Money_saving_Diva_2
Money_saving_Diva_2 Posts: 2,914 Forumite
edited 30 November 2009 at 5:40AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi there! This is the Daily Thread for Monday 30th November. It is an 'Over the garden fence' type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
Please do not start a new Daily Thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two Dailys' live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new Daily Thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start is just as good.

Morning OS friends.hellowave.gif
bday2.gifSquiggly Diddly, have a fabulous day! We miss you.HSpresents.gif
bdaycake2.gif Happy Birthday also to MrsTine - I know you don't post on the Daily but I often see you on other OS threads so you might be a secret reader. :rotfl:
Janiebaby - hope you had a great day yesterday and that the party went well.
sistercas - Ouchies - hope you aren't too bruised today hon
Halight - hope the twins are better today
jc - I will plead the fifth on normality :p, and what a clever daughter you have!
Molly - hope you slept better last night
Haribo - loved the message to Aussie!
Redruby - nothing nicer than embarressing your children in public!!
piglet - taking an umberella to bed these days hon? lol
Taplady - glad to hear Janet is doing OK
Pen-pin - Give us your sisters address and we will all go round and kick her on your behalf!
Chocoholic - Get moving on that housework young lady!!giggle.gif

Had a lovely quiet Sunday, in fact I dozed off after our roast! Then we watched Sleepless in Seattle (Great soundtrack btw), and I got all misty eyed at the romantic ending.

I have a new homehelp coming today as my reg lady is on holiday. It does mean I have to be a bit more awake as she won't know where anything is or what I need her to do. Hope she is nice. Also having my hair done this evening which will make me feel very pampered.

Lunch will be bubble and squeak with left over veg and potatoes from today and two cold sausages left over from Saturday. Probably have a fried egg on top and lots of brown sauce for me! As my hairdresser could only book me in at 1900 tonight we will be eating late so I suspect it will be fish and chips for dinner. She does my hair in the kitchen so my OH won't be able to be in there cooking too.

Tris just logged on to messenger via his phone - clever things those Blackberries.. :rotfl:
head%20cold.gifTo anyone feeling under the weather - get well soon. I hope today is the best it can be for people. With love, light and ghug.giffor all.

Diva.x
To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

Comments

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Diva & all who follow.

Diva Glad Tris has logged on one way or another :T & hope you & your temporary homehelp get on alright sussing things out between you.

Up early today as I was in bed with a horrible migraine all of yesterday. It's gone now thankfully & at least I'm up & about early to catch up.

Dust & vac through the house today, empty & wash bins, clean doors, ironing and make Spaghetti Bolognaise for dinner tonight. I'll start the ironing in half an hour it's so much quicker when there's only me, the dogs & the radio up :D

I'm off to catch up on yesterdays thread now so will just say grouphug3.gif to all & have a good day.
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Hi SunnyGirl - Sorry to hear you had a horrible migraine, they are so painful. Hope you have a good day today catching up.

Tris is Ok, a bit down after being in so much pain for so long but he says/types that the pain is better now than it was and he isn't using the oxygen half as much. I am going to ring him shortly and hopefully make him smile.

HSwash.gifManaged to get the WM on but that's probably it now til later.

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Morning.

Missed yesterday, early start at work and the rest of the day just got spent eating a nice chicken casserole and dumplings and watching TV in front of the fire.
    Work today too, back to normal... windy wet and that that stuff down here.

Last day of the month and budget looking good on paper anyway. Tomorrow I will have to buy diesel and food, so it will decrease heavily. But happy with it.

Not too much else to report...

have a nice day
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    Morning all
    Blow Tris a kiss from me Diva
    Sister Cas, I hope you aren't too bruised today
    Off to work soon, we are almost back to full strength, just one staff member still out sick. Though one person is leaving imminently & isn't being replaced, it seems silly to me, but alledgedly 'there is no money in the budget' can't see how that works as she is being paid at the moment. We have been told we have to absorb her workload.
    DW & WM on, hubby will empty later.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    Morning Diva, Sunnygirl, N9eav, Hester and all who follow :j

Have woken this morning to tonsils the size of tennis balls :rolleyes: Just my luck this week, when I have sooooo much to do. Hopefully it will just stay there and it won't progress ;)

Have joined the flylady thread, to try and get on top of my [STRIKE]pigsty[/STRIKE] house, am starting off gently though ;)

Need to get some glace cherries, then I can get started on Nigella's christmas pudding bon bons. I've bought some Christmas cellophane bags from Lakeland to put them in.

Dinner tonight will be something with mince, probably cottage pie.

Have great days everyone
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning peeps :wave:

Squiddly Diddly - Happy Birthday :bdaycake:hope you have a lovely day.
    Sistercas - Hope that you are not too bruised today.

Diva - Sending ((((HUGS)))) for Tris

SOMO - EEK! antibiotics are just what you need if it tyrns out to be tonsilitis. I suffered with it lots a while back and know just how horrible it can be.

Sunnygirl - Glad the migraine has gone.

Well its cold and dark here but i`m hoping for a sunny morning once daylight breaks through, fingers crossed for that. Woke before the alarm this morning and left the house at 5. No idea why i feel so wide awake but i hope that it lasts as i get much more done when i`m in this frame of mind.

When i get home later i am making the full dinner that i was going to make yesterday but was just too tired when i arrived home. We have some turkey in the freezer which has been cooked and frozen so i should get around the lack of having an oven and hob easily.

Nothing much to report really so i`d best get on and do some more w*rk.

Have a lovely day everyone.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all.

Not sure what the weather is doing yet, I really hope its stays dry, I have loads of washing to do, all of the fields nearby are flooded, when we went out walking yesterday there were new 'rivers' everywhere.

Need to have a good tidy and clean this morning, and do said washing, an online shop, and a bit more packing, I really feel I should be packing a bit more, but dont want to do too much in case we are still here over xmas.

Need to finish off my hm cards (Aussie :p) and might get them posted tomorrow, and finish off some wrapping.

Sausages for tea tonight, with mash and veg.

Squiggly, Happy Birthday Hun, have a great day.

Have fun all xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning Chums, looking a bit damp outside at the moment but it might cheer up a bit. I hope so, as I am going to Maidstone with youngest DD to get my last four presents and to buy a new top to go out to dinner with both of my DDs on the 17th as its my baby's 40th birthday.Tess is brilliant at finding tops that suit so I let her choose as I am a bit colour blind at times.I shall also treat her to lunch so we are having a real Mum and daughter day today.The boys are all well and back at school, and Katie has a new boyfriend that she's met called Tom and he's met my DD and she approves, and has given her permission for them to go out together.Its sounds old-fashioned I know, but my DD has old-fashioned values that she got from me and her Dad.
    We didn't mind the girls going out with lads and having fun, but we always wanted to meet them first and make them realise that we were entrusting our daughters to their care.None of the boys they went out with disagreed with us and thought it sensible that we knew who they were and they were always told what time they had to be home,Usually no later than 11 on a weeknight because of college in the morning.Katie accepts the rules and the reasons behind them which says a lot for the way she has been brought up.Some of her pals in college think is a hoot, but she says to them my Mum cares about me, and where I am, so its not a problem to let her know so she doesn't worry.She is a sensible girl and he seems like a nice lad.She only can see him on Thursday,Friday & Saturday as he is at college in Brighton for the rest of the week.Which is in itself good as it means she keeps up with her onw college assignments at home.
    Well I'm off to make some breakfast, and have a shower i hope everyone has a good day and Happy Birthday to those celebrating and <<hugs if you feel a bit down>>
    Cheers JackieO xx
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all

Woken this morning to blustery weather again, and been raining heavily in the night. OH gone off to work early this morning, looks like this could be how it will be now until Christmas. Kept on top of everything over the weekend and made hob nobs and choc chip cookies for the pack-ups. OH went into work on what was supposed to be just Saturday morning but then he didn't get home until 4.15pm so finished up not doing much else for the rest of the day. Spent most of the day yesterday at mum and dad's; when I spoke to mum at the start of last week she seemed to be getting a bit worn down with everything so I suggested that I go and cook a roast at her house yesterday - she was more than pleased to accept (a definite sign that she was not in tip top form!) so was doing the cook thing yesterday and we ate roast with them - made a nice change and hopefully helped them both. They wanted us to take the leftovers so will adjust the menu for tonight to get that food eaten today.

Dad is going next week for the angio-gram (sp) - but has been for the pre-op and seems much more at ease with what they are going to do and they were very impressed with the medical team they met who will be looking after him, hopefully he can get whatever needs to be done and be recovering so by Xmas he will be feeling more comfortable.

Need to crack on with the Xmas shopping this week but going with a friend for retail therapy at the weekend so should get some done then, want to get it done before dad goes into hospital on the 8 December, so I can be available for mum if needed - she doesn't drive and hospital is a good hour and a half away.

Not much other OS to report.

Have to go now, keep safe and well, hugs to those that need them.
    nmlc
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    morning all

have to say I am very achy today after my fall, but count myself lucky I didnt do more damage :rolleyes: thankyou for all your good wishes

MSdiva technology is incredible isnt it? shame I am a technophobe :o

Sunnygirl sorry to hear of your migraines , do you have some medication?

day off today, so I plan to do the last bits of xmassy stuff, I would like to get some more baubles and decs for the tree ( the ones I have are old and tatty)
    Ineed to nip to mr T and so some cleaning

have a good day everyone xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family