Making chocolates or sweets

Comments

• maginot
    maginot Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the recipe scotrae.

We always eat after eights at Christmas and would be good to make our own.
  • kayl
    kayl Posts: 474 Forumite
    Dead simple recipe for macaroons - sounds vile, but tastes delicious!
    Mash 1 medium potato while still warm.
    When cold, mix in 1 kg icing sugar
    Roll into small balls, dip in melted chocolates, and then roll in coconut
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    kayl wrote: »

Really?? :eek: Although i will take your word for it, i don't like coconut! lol
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • I just bought one of these silicone Christmas shapes mould from Betterware - will have a try at making the "after eights" as they sound really nice

http://www.betterware.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=057114&cid=106&language=en-GB

although the frugal way is to re-use the backs of advent calendars but hopefully this will last me for years! And as I now have a re-useable advent calendar with wee pockets I am going to make some choccies for these using nice choccy instead of that horrible cheap stuff.
    Kondo'ed 76 items from wardrobe, 4 carrier bags of books
  • kayl wrote: »

Is this honestly nice because it sounds soooo wierd but I might have to give it a whril just out of curiosity

Does anyone know when I can start making any of these
    Sealed pot challenge 1875
  • kayl
    kayl Posts: 474 Forumite
    Honestly!! My daughter made this at school and insited that we try it at home.
    I made a sample run which I brought into my office today, and challenged anyone to guess the mystery ingredient! Nobody could, and when I told them it was potato still couldn't believe it
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Okay, so i got the mints, i got 4 bars of value chocolate.... and i forgot the paper!!! Oh and OH nicked a bar of the chocolate too :rolleyes: *is heading to tesco*
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • irishgirl62
    irishgirl62 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    scotrae wrote: »
    Gorgeous and very, very simple after dinner mints. Everyone asks how I make them but I daren't let on they are this simple!

Smash Extra Strong Mints into fine pieces and mix into melted plain chocolate.

Pour this into a dish or baking tray, possibly lined with a silicone sheet or cling film. Make it a thin layer - about half a centimetre is ideal.

Stick in the fridge and break it into irregular shaped pieces when set - taking care not to get finger prints on it!

I bag them into clear sellophane bags with festive ribbon and keep them in the fridge til DH goes out delivering them as extra gifts to aunts and uncles etc.

Sounds lovely... how many mints to a bar of chocolate would you use?
    I am determined to lose weight!:kisses3:
    Weight loss so far 2 stones 6lbs!! :j:j
  • NEgirl
    NEgirl Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    Im going to make the mint bars this weekend with the kids - they love extra strong mints and after eights etc so these should go down a storm! Thanks for the idea :D
    Win £2012 in 2012 challenge 0/2012

Olympics challenge
    GOLD Holiday - won flights to RIO!
    SILVER Kitchenaid
    BRONZE iPad
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    I think that I used to smash one pack of Extra Strong Mints into one 200g bar of Bourneville - but it's been a long time since last Christmas and I usually have lots in to cater for family hovering in the kitchen and nicking bits whilst I'm making them ;)

Aim to have 'lots' of mini white bits to each piece to get the flavour - same sort of proportions as Elizabeth Shaw mints etc? More chocolate than mint mind!

(And I used to make them thinner but if you do make them into deeper 'bars' or silicone shapes do let us know how it works!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure