** Jock_Tight** mortgage free diary

Options

Comments

• Jock_Tight
    Options
    Just realised that the OP made at the end of August took this years total overpayment amount to £5097 which is more than the total overpayment amount we achieved during 2009, £4992 :cool:

Septembers overpayment took this to £5547 and we still have 3 months of the year left......
    5/10/12 : Mortgage Free :)
  • Jock_Tight
    Options
    My work/shopping car has also developed a nasty rattle underneath (probably a heat shield loose) and has the occasional misfire under load so will need to get booked into the garage for a diagnosis, more money!!
    Rattle turned out to be the catalytic converter internals coming loose and banging about. Cost me ~£350 for non oem (2 year warranty) including fitting. :( VW part would have been over £500 just for the cat :eek:

So just the standard mortgage payment and fixed OP DD for October.
  • RosieTiger
    Options
    Tough one - I hate horrible expenses like that coming along. We reached a point a year ago when we just had to say bye bye to Mrs RT's car, but nor before it had ran up a few thousand in costs !!!!
    RosieTiger - Highest £242,000 Feb 2004 :mad:
    Lightbulb Dec 2008 £146,000 by March 2026:eek:
    MFi3T2 and T3 No 28 - Dec 2009 Start Balance £117,000
    Current Position-Fully off set by savings since March 2013
  • Jock_Tight
    Options
    Hi RosieTiger,

The unexpected expense took the wind out of our sail!

My VW Bora 2.0 SE (petrol) has thrown up a few unexpected costs over the years however at the moment the cost to replace far outweighs the running costs at the moment. Its 10 years old with 120k on the clock but is in very good condition and runs well. My father was the first owner and I bought it off him (for a very good price!) when it was 4 years old with 24k miles.

Over the years its had an oxygen sensor, air flow meter, wheel bearing, front bushes, rear bushes, full exhaust (this year), disks, pads and several tyres. Ideally I would like to get another 3-4 years out of it which I think is not unreasonable.

If I needed to replace earlier it would affect my ability to become mortgage free!

Cheers,
    Jock :)
  • Jock_Tight
    Options
    Majority of Xmas presents have been bought so looking good budget wise.

Car is due its MOT at end of this month, 'touch wood' there wont be any surprises. Also got road tax at the same time so does not look like there will be anything additional to go into the OP pot.

Balance now £27,309
  • Jock_Tight
    Options
    No problems with the cars MOT, just a number plate bulb required.....pheww :)

All Xmas presents now bought, so no additional bills for December.......now trying to save as much money as possible to have a bumper OP in January to start 2011 as best as we can.

Fixed monthly OP just came off for November which brings the mortgage down to £26,859.

Cheers,
  • drewwa
    drewwa Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow! - Nice story. Wish my parents had some money to allow me to offset my mortgage completely!

Best of luck with it. I have almost exactly the same graph as you, only the slope isn't quite so steep! :(

Cheers,

Drew.
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    snap---im just under 40k

i wont make 3 year challange 12/12/12 but will hav mortgage reduced by 80%
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • Jock_Tight
    Options
    Not been a brilliant week due to the weather! :(

My car is snowed in so all this week I have had to walk the 1+ mile trip through thick snow to catch the train into Edinburgh and then bus it down to work. A journey which normally takes 30-40 minutes by car is taking over 2 hours.

Here is a pic of the snow in my back garden:

attachment.php?attachmentid=173733&stc=1&d=1291234473

Anyway Decembers mortgage payment has come off so we are down to £26,294 :cool:

Cheers,
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 5 December 2010 at 11:03AM
    Options
    Jock_Tight wrote: »
    The other reason for striving towards being mortgage free is that its equivalent to a 38% pay rise for me in December 2012 :j

Wow, I need to work mine out, never thought of it like this before!

EDIT: 44% :j:T:j:T:j

DOUBLE EDIT: Except will be paying the same every month to pay off BTL mortgages :o

:eek: eek at the snow :eek:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure