New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Homemade Beauty Treatments

edited 5 August 2010 at 10:27PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
305 replies 110.5K views
Miss_CinnabonMiss_Cinnabon Forumite
19.5K posts
edited 5 August 2010 at 10:27PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
Does anyone have any good sites for recipes for natural beauty products i can make at home ie cleansers, moisturisers, haircare etc

Replies

• kitekatkitekat Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Hi try pioneerthinking.com they have loads of homemade recipes.
  • alwaysonthego_2alwaysonthego_2 Forumite
    8.5K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭
    try eggs on your hair, rinse out well though, gives a lovely glossy shine

vegetable oil as a massage oil

sliced cucumber over eyes to reduce puffy eyes

coffee granules mixed in a smooth paste, spread over thighs to reduce cellulite
  • I could post this in Health & Beauty, Oldstyle AND Geen & Ethical!

After deciding that putting deoderant sprays like Lynx on an area so dense with pores - i.e. the armpits - is actualy quite horrid, I decided to try out the Crystal Spring deoderant. It's basically a roll-on made from some form of crystals (soda I think, but that's not the point of my post), I've only bought it today so I'll let you know how it goes! But basically it doesn't contain any of the horrible chemicals that the sprays do - just imagine the alcohol, aluminium, silica, petroleum, and all other nasty stuff you are putting on your sensive bits, where you then absorbe this stuff into your body, and clog your pores. And we pay for the pleasure!

Anyway, I've also been thinking about the hair gel I use daily, and it was no real shock to find that my VO5 gel contains all sorts of plastic, vinyl and silicon. So I had a search for some alternatives.

I found one at greenpeople.co.uk which seems very nice (although there isn't a full list of ingredients) but it's £9.99 a tube! Ouch. So the oldstyle in me started to think...I wonder if I could make some myself!

I have found a recipe on t'interweb, and am planning to give it a go. It goes as follows: (obviously, I'm not necessarily advising anyone to use it as I haven't even tried it myself yet, it's just for your information)

Hair Gel for All Hair Types
    2 tablespoons of flax seeds
    1 cup of water
    One vitamin E capsule (optional, good for dry, damaged or chemically-treated hair)
    1 tablespoon of rosewater or 3 drops of your favorite essential oil
    Unlike the commercial varieties, this styling gel also acts as a conditioner, so it is particularly good for dry hair. Combine the flax seeds and water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool for 30 minutes. Strain out the seeds and stir in the vitamin E oil (if using) and the rosewater or essential oil. Pour the mixture into a clean jar and store it in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to one month.

Doesn't sound too bad eh? My hair gel usualy only lasts a month anyway. Now to just hunt down a regular supply of flax seeds and rosewater! (not the most blokey of stuff to keep, but then neither is making your own hair products!)

If anyone has any suggestions, opinions or experiences then I would very much like to hear!

Cheers,
    Joe
  • I could post this in Health & Beauty, Oldstyle AND Geen & Ethical!

After deciding that putting deoderant sprays like Lynx on an area so dense with pores - i.e. the armpits - is actualy quite horrid, I decided to try out the Crystal Spring deoderant. It's basically a roll-on made from some form of crystals (soda I think, but that's not the point of my post), I've only bought it today so I'll let you know how it goes! But basically it doesn't contain any of the horrible chemicals that the sprays do - just imagine the alcohol, aluminium, silica, petroleum, and all other nasty stuff you are putting on your sensive bits, where you then absorbe this stuff into your body, and clog your pores. And we pay for the pleasure!

Anyway, I've also been thinking about the hair gel I use daily, and it was no real shock to find that my VO5 gel contains all sorts of plastic, vinyl and silicon. So I had a search for some alternatives.

I found one at greenpeople.co.uk which seems very nice (although there isn't a full list of ingredients) but it's £9.99 a tube! Ouch. So the oldstyle in me started to think...I wonder if I could make some myself!

I have found a recipe on t'interweb, and am planning to give it a go. It goes as follows: (obviously, I'm not necessarily advising anyone to use it as I haven't even tried it myself yet, it's just for your information)

Hair Gel for All Hair Types
    2 tablespoons of flax seeds
    1 cup of water
    One vitamin E capsule (optional, good for dry, damaged or chemically-treated hair)
    1 tablespoon of rosewater or 3 drops of your favorite essential oil
    Unlike the commercial varieties, this styling gel also acts as a conditioner, so it is particularly good for dry hair. Combine the flax seeds and water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool for 30 minutes. Strain out the seeds and stir in the vitamin E oil (if using) and the rosewater or essential oil. Pour the mixture into a clean jar and store it in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to one month.

Doesn't sound too bad eh? My hair gel usualy only lasts a month anyway. Now to just hunt down a regular supply of flax seeds and rosewater! (not the most blokey of stuff to keep, but then neither is making your own hair products!)

If anyone has any suggestions, opinions or experiences then I would very much like to hear!

Cheers,
    Joe

sounds interesting the recipe l mean the amount of chemicals we use on our skin is alarming ...may lsuggest you make up a 2nd batch of the mixture using flax oil might be easier and leave out the water orr make it less water. flax seed oil is available in supermarkets and healthfood shops it is also known as linseed oil.in indian shops it is known as alsi oil and cheaper,,you can also get rosewater in continental shops an indian shops large bottles cheaply .good luck
  • Thank you very much for the info, I'm just presuming (hoping) that it solidifies a bit when I put it in the fridge, otherwise it'll be an unusualy runny gel!
  • Carrera74Carrera74 Forumite
    750 posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    My friend and I used to use egg white to hold our hair when we were younger instead of hairspray. We used sugar and water too. Both worked a treat but I have no idea where we thought them up from, lol :D
  • AmarilloAmarillo Forumite
    181 posts
    Thank you very much for the info, I'm just presuming (hoping) that it solidifies a bit when I put it in the fridge, otherwise it'll be an unusualy runny gel!

I've never tried making this but I think that when you boil up the flax seeds it will release a starch which will thicken the water making it a gel like consistency.

Will you let us know how you get on when you make it ?
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    and let us know how the crystal deoderant goes too...

• newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Having sensitive skin, I'm interested to find out how this goes ;)
    working on clearing the clutter
  • jannyanniejannyannie Forumite
    797 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    I watched the programme last night on channel 4 "how toxic are you". Was quite horrified. Years age I used to make my own face creams. I got most of my supplies from Baldwins in the Walworth road. Anyone elso tried this? There are loads of recipies on the internet, just need the ingredients eg. emulsifying wax and beeswax.:confused: