The Sub Prime Credit Thread - Part IV

Options

Comments

• never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    izools wrote: »
    Agreed.

In the greater scheme of things (i.e. not just credit products, but also mobile phones, and other utilities like Virgin media, BT, and British Gas) would it not be fair to say having an active and up to date mobile contract on file will be better than none atall?

It mightn't have a positive impact when scoring credit products but I find it impossible to believe it won't have a positive impact when being scored for utilities...

Mate - ive already said - utilities as a whole bear no impact on credit unless related. Even Proliant has confirmed this to you - basically a utility in any capacity is not scored as a credit related product but as a utility!

They do not help nor hinder a score, they are disregarded in socring techniques... ok, assume you had a mobile account maybe just maybe that may help you to get another one, but it would have NO impact on you getting a credit card.

With regards to virgin/british gas et al - similarly, these will only ever hinder you - nothing they do will have a positive impact, of course we all pay our gas and leccy bills - if we never we'd be cut off so that does not show a reflection of "handling a credit related product"..... :D:D

Hope that clears it up.
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Options
    With regards to virgin/british gas et al - similarly, these will only ever hinder you - nothing they do will have a positive impact, of course we all pay our gas and leccy bills - if we never we'd be cut off so that does not show a reflection of "handling a credit related product"..... :D:D

Hope that clears it up.

I 'borrow' my electric from the neighbours. Could that have been why I got the HSBC credit card? Because they saw I'm good at borrowing? :rotfl::rotfl:
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    I 'borrow' my electric from the neighbours. Could that have been why I got the HSBC credit card? Because they saw I'm good at borrowing? :rotfl::rotfl:

Hahahahah - that's witty mate - i like! :rotfl:

Does your loft glow like a star as well then :whistle::whistle::whistle:

• izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 March 2010 at 11:59AM
    Options
    Mate - ive already said - utilities as a whole bear no impact on credit unless related. Even Proliant has confirmed this to you - basically a utility in any capacity is not scored as a credit related product but as a utility!

They do not help nor hinder a score, they are disregarded in socring techniques... ok, assume you had a mobile account maybe just maybe that may help you to get another one, but it would have NO impact on you getting a credit card.

Hope that clears it up.

Mate that's not what I said!

What I said is that having a utility on file, like a Three Sim Zero, may not have an impact on Credit based credit scoring but it could help when another utility search you.

BT / Virgin Media / British Gas / Mobiles all credit check, and given they are themselves a utility, they would of course take into consideration existing utility accounts, would they not?

Which is why I said that in the greater scheme of things, holding an active and up to date utility on file can be a help rather than a hindrance when it comes to credit check time from another utility.....

I hope your wife doesn't find you so hard to please
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    Mate that's not what I said!

What I said is that having a utility on file, like a Three Sim Zero, may not have an impact on Credit based credit scoring but it could help when another utility search you.

BT / Virgin Media / British Gas / Mobiles all credit check, and given they are themselves a utility, they would of course take into consideration existing utility accounts, would they not?

Which is why I said that in the greater scheme of things, holding an active and up to date utility on file can be a help rather than a hindrance when it comes to credit check time from another utility.....

I hope your wife doesn't find you so hard to please

I understand mate - totally :p:p

Ok, i'll go real slow this time.... hehe

You will not be refused utilities - not unless you have adverse data. So, if you want Virgin, BG or whatever then you'll always get it - 10000000% - UNLESS you have derogatory data registered.

Regards to mobiles, a blank credit file may hinder you but anything else present may help, however a virgin/BG account would not help with a mobile. In some cases a default will help you get a mobile - cos it confirm residency and identity! Weird but true!!

I know what i'm trying to say but hard to put in writing, ok to make it easier - utilities take up such a small element of scoring i'd not worry about it. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

• izools
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vodafone and O2 are very strict (comparatively) and have been known to fail people with no adverse.

I totally understand where you are coming from - in so much as it's unlikely that any utility accounts will be built into any scoring models for credit products, and those that do include them (i.e. other utilities) have such a low pass mark / lax criteria that it's almost a moot point anyway.

I still feel that it can be helpful for:

1. Confirming identity (electronically)
    2. Passing the check on a stricter utility like O2, Virgin Media, or Vodafone

No?
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    I still feel that it can be helpful for:

1. Confirming identity (electronically)
    2. Passing the check on a stricter utility like O2, Virgin Media, or Vodafone

No?

Yes mate - you got it. :T :T

But i'm not referring to mobile companies being utilities, even though technically they are. So of course, if you had a mobile contract then you're likely to get another - but if you have BG and Virgin on there it will only help with lesser scored mobile accounts. To get a prime mobile contract you ought to really have a credit card or bank account showing....

But as proven - the rules can go out the window at times and some weird decisions are made! As you've seen for yourself matey :p:p

• PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just spoke to Silver Mastercard, they say I have been provisionaly accepted for a Silver card, aggreement in the post etc. Does this mean accepted or what?
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    PROLIANT wrote: »
    Just spoke to Silver Mastercard, they say I have been provisionaly accepted for a Silver card, aggreement in the post etc. Does this mean accepted or what?

yes mate - going on the other successes of late! :T :T :T

Did you apply over the phone?

Did you get the N&P account in the end then?

• izools
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PROLIANT wrote: »

"Provisionally" refers to "subject to receipt of a signed credit agreement".

So yes! Did you apply over the phone did you? If you'd applied on line you'd be able to ask your APR and Limit but if you did it over the phone they can't tell you until they receive the agreement back :o

Well done! They seem to be approving everyone this month, huh? :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure