HBOS online banking-can't login ?

Options

Comments

• Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    iltisman wrote: »
    If its a really critical operation the system runs on generators and uses the mains supply as a backup.

Its quite possible the back up generators didnt kick in or they had problems rebooting it.

From what I have been told previously the ATM and Link system in this country hasnt moved on IT wise in years.

It isnt ideal but unfortunately IT failures will happen from time to time. Its how they react to them.

I dont think 12 hours to restore a major IT failure at an off peak time where cover would have to be called in is the end of the world.

I also suspect that some people will just do their usual and create a hassle thinking they will get some compo out of it.
  • blueberrypie
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    What would happen if the power failed at a hospital? .. the back up generators would kick in immediately.

Generally not. That's why so many critical machines in hospitals have internal batteries. It keeps them going for a few minutes until backup electricity supplies can be sorted out.

And when the backup supplies do take effect, they don't provide electricity for everything - only the most important stuff. There's lots of equipment in a hospital that it can manage without for a few hours, and that equipment isn't generally on circuits that are on the backup generators.

(Have worked in hospitals during power-cuts on quite a few occasions - it's frustrating when you can't access x-rays or blood-tests on computerised systems, but it's not critical. Equipment supplying oxygen to patients in ICU, on the other hand...)
  • willyg78
    Options
    They've lost power to a major data centre. All transactions that require authorisation will not go through until the power is restored. They expect it to be at around 3PM on November 14th.

During this time, you will not be able to use

Cash Machines
    Online Banking
    Phoneline Banking

The only thing you can do is use switch at checkouts, as most shops have a shop floor limit and will allow the payments to go through!!

Hope this helps!
  • maemaesmummy
    Options
    struggling with sainsburys bank log on... is it linked?
    Bit of a Florida Fan :j
    8/12/08 Highlands Reserve, 3/12/09 Calaby Parc
    18/8/10 Villa Upper Class 19/12/10 Villa Upper Class
    10/08/11 C P Tower Lake 10/12/11 C P Tower Lake
    28/4/12 Emerald Island 22/7/12 Florida for 6 weeks
    13/12/12 4 weeks C P Tower Lake 13/2 Prize win Orlando
  • oysterman
    Options
    Tried mine at tesco's half hour a go (shopping) & it worked. No atm's working thou
    if i had known then what i know now
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    struggling with sainsburys bank log on... is it linked?

Yes Sainsburys bank accounts are run by HBOS.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »

I know HSBC with whom I keep my main bank account have this sort of set-up..

Regards
    Sunil

Agreed, I often notice a slightly different page on their secure pages, that would confirm this.

Of course this is HBOS we are discussing, so no real surprises, they have spent all of their spare money on bonuses;)
  • Dave1979
    Dave1979 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The counter staff are telling bare-faced lies that it is all banks that have been affected!!!
  • oliviasmummy
    Options
    I think there is some confusion with the information that is being given by branch staff. What they mean is that your hbos cards wont work at any banks atm machines so its affecting all of the atm machines regardless of which bank it is only when you use the hbos cards, not affecting other banks cards just the hbos cards at other atms as well as their own.
  • Dave1979
    Dave1979 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 November 2009 at 2:48PM
    Options
    I think there is some confusion with the information that is being given by branch staff. What they mean is that your hbos cards wont work at any banks atm machines so its affecting all of the atm machines regardless of which bank it is only when you use the hbos cards, not affecting other banks cards just the hbos cards at other atms as well as their own.

Exact words from them - The inter-bank payments system is down and it is not just HBOS that is affected. Also any charges incurred by going over o/d limits today because you can't get into your account will not be refunded. Lovely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure