Online grocery shopping help and discussion thread [merged]

Options

Comments

• claire111
    Options
    Quick update on my price jump problem from above

Tescos first said that it had been on offer and that the offer hasd expired therefore I was due nothing. I emailed them back to say it definitely had not been on offer and that they had just hiked the price up without telling me (Uncle Bens Bib Rice £1.24 up to £2.49).

They replied by saying there had been an error and they would refund the overcharge for the 6 boxes of rice (6 x £1.24)

I'm not happy. They weren't very apologetic and no vouchers or anything to compensate. If I had not double checked the price on delivery I would never have known.

I shall leave Tescos and I'm trying Asda via mysupermarket today. I really like mysupermarket, seems easy to use and displays of products are good.

So be warned you need to check everything.

HTH
  • unknown_expert
    Options
    Good luck! I hope they arrive ok and dont cancel due to weather :A

Anyway, what I didnt do until fairly recently but now always do is ask them to bring the crates into the kitchen.

I find it saves me ages of trecking door to kitchen and emptying the boxes but always felt like I would be being a bit of a Prima Donna to ask. Then I knackered my back and asked and the chap said yes of course and did and boy is it easier?! He said they dont offer cos some people are weird about having them in the house :confused: but that it is no extra work for them and actually quicker so they dont mind at all and it makes it so much easier for me
    Make sure you have all your sides clear- the chap will show you which bags have frozen and fridge in and you can un pack in seconds

The only other thing is to check on subs that it hasnt messed up a 2 for 1 or something as although they wont charge you more if they sent a more expensive substitute (so if they send you £4 cheddar cos your £3 was out of stock they will refund you the extra £1 at the end) they dont price match the multi buy offers and dont seem to have much common sense on noticing that you probaby ordered 3 because of the offer- dont feel bad about rejecting the subs, they dont seem to mind in the slightest.

Oh and no need ot tip- but they do seem to cheer up hugely when I beam at them and am freindly even if they are 20 mins late :rotfl:

Hi guys

As a previous Sainsburys online manager i will let you know a few things.

At sainsburys the drivers are not insured to enter your home due to a few instances where crates have scratched walls, dented tiles and broken vases etc. This is why the driver stops at the door and hands bags over.
    However, some drivers if asked will bring them into your home for you if you request this. although some drivers will be strict with the 'not insured policy'
    Drivers should not be tipped as they get paid a wage to do the job (higher than colleagues that work instore as they are skills trained for their driving) also colleague searches take place and the drive is only allowed to carry £5 on them which is generally to stop at the petrol station for a drink or chocolate bar etc, if they are found to have more then potentially they could get in trouble.
    With regards to substitutes - i will agree with many of you that some of the subs are crazy (i delivered to one house where the lady ordered chinese duck and the sub was for an indian chicken curry) unfortunately the substiture products are generated by the computer (must be a stupid computer i know!) BUT the colleague doing the shop can manually override the computer suggestion if they know a better alternative.

*also - offers generally change every tuesday night so if you have done your shopping on a monday and delivery date for a thursday, unless you have made payment before tuesday night, you may have to pay more.

Hope this helps - feel free to send questions my way.

Unknown_expert
  • unknown_expert
    Options
    bramble1 wrote: »
    Quick question - I've never online shopped before

If i allow something to be substitued on my shop and they don't have the product i want,do i get charged a higher price?

At Sainsburys you will be charged the higher price unfortunately, but you will be asked at the door when you have your shopping delivered, if you wish to send the alternative product back so i would suggest looking at the receipt for the price difference.

Hope this helps

unknown_expert
  • kimmee
    kimmee Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I was going to ask the same question as the previous poster, I know Asda will not charge you extra if they substitute your item with a higher priced item.

Do Tesco, sainsburys and ocado do they same?

I have only shopped online at Tesco and they do charge the lower price if they have substituted something more expensive.
  • forestlands
    Options
    I use ASDA most of the time. Use by dates on bread is often very short, this weeks order had 2 loaves with use by date the day after delivery! As I live in the country, no buses, stores miles away it is not easy popping out for bread. Have mentioned this problem to ASDA and got refund on several occasions, they said they would get a check done on my next order, still getting the old bread!
  • janiebaby29
    Options
    I want to do an online shop with Asda , but i do remember hearing from peeps on here that they held back money twice from their accounts and it took ages to get back to their accounts ,
    is this still happening or not ??
    The original janiebaby ;)
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,934 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I want to do an online shop with Asda , but i do remember hearing from peeps on here that they held back money twice from their accounts and it took ages to get back to their accounts ,
    is this still happening or not ??

I have shopped online with Asda for a year now and it has never happened to me, they dont take my money until 2 days after the delivery.

On the odd occasion I have had things with a 1 day sell by date (they have a policy of minimum 2 days) I called them up and the money was back in my account within 3 days.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • joesaunt
    joesaunt Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    I have done 5 shops with Asda in the last few months and each time they have taken the money before it has been delivered, once two days before. They couldn't deliver one week due to the snow, but had already taken the money from my account before the shopping was supposed to be delivered and took 3 days to refund it, leaving me shopping less and skint!
    8 months to go till end of the IVA :j:rotfl::T
  • pullenuk
    pullenuk Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    Unknown_expert

There a few things you are not obviously up-to-date on :-)

Our policy is to always take the shopping in when requested apart from situations where access is difficult, health and safely, muddy boots etc. Obviously having a dog which will bite will keep the driver outside the door :-). This policy is clearly mentioned in the terms and conditions.

Tips - now he right, we are not supposed to take tips. But if you feel that the driver does a good job and you want to reward him then that is your choice. Some drivers might refuse, but I think you will find most will leave with a smile (plus tip) and want to come back!! ;-). Also the driver is allowed to carry up to £10 in cash, but not in notes so don't give the drivers notes, give them coins.

Substitutes - yeah the computer is stupid. Goldfish food been swapped for Cat Food. Hmmm..... makes you and the driver laugh at the door, but not the best of moves. If you feel that you are getting silly substitutes, ask the driver to speak to the store for you so the manager is aware of the problem. Especially if you had the same substitute before. I always chase up the silly substitutes, as its usually the shopper not thinking properly so explaining to the shopper what they have done wrong limits the problem happening again in the future.
    Don't worry about giving the substitutes back! You do not have to keep them! It takes upto 10 working days to refund the substitutes, but usually its done on the day so 2 or 3 days. Also if you ordered something that you didn't want, give it back to the driver and he will get that sorted.

Offers change Tuesday 11:59pm, new offers start 00:00am wednesday usually every THREE weeks. Exisiting offers usually run for four weeks, but the fourth week they start to run out of stock however as its run down to free up room in the store.
    But don't stick to this, I seen special offers apply to weekends only etc.
    Always check the offer - it will ALWAYS say on the site "for delivery by", make sure your delivery will be made by then.

Hope that helps!

Remember - Sainsburys give out £10 vouchers when the van arrives a minute late to your property!!! No-one else does! There are some limited areas that doesn't get this, you will be told by the driver on the first order when he explains everything to you. Please note, if you live in a block of flats, the driver is on time if he arrives and parks up but if it takes him/she until 5 minutes late to get to your door then that doesn't count sorry. Its unfair on those who that can get to the door within seconds of the van to those where they may have to walk a small distance.
  • Vedder2008
    Options
    I'm thinking off placing a grocery order online at Tesco, and as I haven't done it before I was wondering if anyone has any hints or tips and dos and don't to get the best deals and services.
    Is there a best delivery slot or something like that, maybe ordering on Tuesday as the new deals come in, I know I won't be ordering fruit, veg, fish or meat as I like to pick that myself and I have heard they send you near the sellby dates for those items anyway. Also can I use coupons and what do I do with them.
    If anyone can give me some advise it will be truly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.:j:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport