Online grocery shopping help and discussion thread [merged]

Options

Comments

• kaz2004
    kaz2004 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Always use Ocado. Never late, never missed items, never a problem with payment duplication. Their essentials range is brilliant. They match Tesco's prices and have internet only offers.
    I read the posts here and I have never had a problem in 3 years. we switched because a Sainsbury's driver nearly punched my husband! :eek:(Hubby did nothing driver was rude about access to house and hubby said no other company has complained!)
    Stop the world, I'm getting off! :D
  • trytospendless
    Options
    I also always book a slot up front with a basket over the minimum value, then alter the night before due for delivery. I usually go for a Thursday as well.

In my experience Asda are the worse, Tescos not bad, Sainsburys and Ocado the best.
    Asda I have had to chase for refunds when I sent items back, which is not very good.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,935 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also always book a slot up front with a basket over the minimum value, then alter the night before due for delivery. I usually go for a Thursday as well.

In my experience Asda are the worse, Tescos not bad, Sainsburys and Ocado the best.
    Asda I have had to chase for refunds when I sent items back, which is not very good.

I always do my shopping on a wednesday for Friday delivery.

In my experience:

Sainsburys were the worse- missed items, ramdom substitutions, late deliveries, out of date food.
    Tesco- ok but very bad quality veg, always limp and most of the time either needed binning or using that day, late deliveries.
    Ocado- good but expensive
    Asda- Brilliant delivery, great prices, great products with a lot of date on them, brilliant substitutions, always on time. Refunds really quick.(usually go back into my bank the same day as my shopping comes out of the bank which is usually 3 days after delivery)
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I shop with Tesco online and usually book my slot midweek for the following Monday. The only problem I have had recently is that some offers seem only to be over the weekend. I know they change their main offers on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. At least the website tells you when you check out if an offer is due to end before your delivery and offers you the chance to change your order. There is one thing with this though, the offer may end on a certain date but it just starts again the following day.

They have always been very good with refunds etc. I think quality issues are dependent on who picks your shopping and which store you get delivered from.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • Beltona
    Beltona Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I have my first ever grocery delivery tomorrow evening and I just wanted to know if there is any unwritten rules I should know about! For example - do you tip the driver?
    Many thanks!!
    10K in 2010 = £5558 :o
  • Loopy_Lobes
    Options
    Well I only really know about Tesco delivery so if it's Tesco your using..

Check your print out before the driver leaves. Any of of stock items and substitutions are at the top. Substituted items are usually in a blue bag or clearly labelled bag. If you're not happy with an of them give them back to the driver for a refund.

Once he's gone check everything has arrived, I use the print out to tick everything off. Check all offers and discounts have been applied. Check best before dates. Any problems at all phone or email them. I find the email form easier as you can list everything down on there and take your time. The usually get back to you within a day or two.

I have never tipped the driver and don't worry they don't expect it! I think it's common courtesy to help them out if you possibly can if you have lots of stairs etc, or if they're struggling in the snow! but don't worry if you can't physically help or have little ones to keep an eye on they'll do all the hard work for you.
  • dreamteamgirl
    Options
    Beltona wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I have my first ever grocery delivery tomorrow evening and I just wanted to know if there is any unwritten rules I should know about! For example - do you tip the driver?
    Many thanks!!

Good luck! I hope they arrive ok and dont cancel due to weather :A

Anyway, what I didnt do until fairly recently but now always do is ask them to bring the crates into the kitchen.

I find it saves me ages of trecking door to kitchen and emptying the boxes but always felt like I would be being a bit of a Prima Donna to ask. Then I knackered my back and asked and the chap said yes of course and did and boy is it easier?! He said they dont offer cos some people are weird about having them in the house :confused: but that it is no extra work for them and actually quicker so they dont mind at all and it makes it so much easier for me
    Make sure you have all your sides clear- the chap will show you which bags have frozen and fridge in and you can un pack in seconds

The only other thing is to check on subs that it hasnt messed up a 2 for 1 or something as although they wont charge you more if they sent a more expensive substitute (so if they send you £4 cheddar cos your £3 was out of stock they will refund you the extra £1 at the end) they dont price match the multi buy offers and dont seem to have much common sense on noticing that you probaby ordered 3 because of the offer- dont feel bad about rejecting the subs, they dont seem to mind in the slightest.

Oh and no need ot tip- but they do seem to cheer up hugely when I beam at them and am freindly even if they are 20 mins late :rotfl:
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would add to everything that the previous people have said, if you are going to order same time every week offer the driver a brew and ask if they need the loo, if you don't mind them using your facilities. I have found it always makes for less chance of them not getting to you in future if you have been nice to them in the past. Some times they are out for a long period of time and if they need the loo they can be forever grateful.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • Beltona
    Beltona Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quick update. It all went very smoothly. Driver was very helpful and carried everything in to the kitchen. He was there dead on time. I used Ocado and they had everything in different coloured bags for different places, ie, for the freezer, store cupboard. And they take their bags back to be reused.
    Thanks for everyones help. I will use them again!!
    10K in 2010 = £5558 :o
  • AprilLady
    AprilLady Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry if this isn't really the right place to post this, but I couldn't find another appropriate thread!

I've just had my first grocery delivery from Sainsbury's, and after the driver left I discovered that one of the eggs in the box of six was broken and oozing out. Is it worth complaining about one egg, and does anyone have experience of complaining to Sainsbury's about a similar thing? I had to throw the egg out so I can't really take it back to the shop!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure