We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Trying For a Baby part 4

1…282283285287288…498

Comments

  • Lauralou
    Lauralou Posts: 983 Forumite
    aww well jealous Penny, i would love to work from home, im thinking maybe somewhere along the lines i might become a nanny/childminder, and ill be able to have my child with me as well. What do you do from home?

    MV 3 hours:eek::eek:i hate having to drive 15mins to work!!
  • Yep 1.5 hours each way on 2 trains.

    I live in South London and work in Windsor...crazy commute. It'll be 6 years this March that I've been doing it too :eek:

    I worked out the other day that I've spent more than 3 solid months of my life just travelling to and from the office!!! :eek:
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
  • Lauralou
    Lauralou Posts: 983 Forumite
    oh my MV!:eek::eek:i bet the trains are expensive in london as well? Whats it like to live in london, ive always wondered:rotfl:! Is there not anywhere closer you could get a job after baby is born?
  • Crazy isnt it!! It costs me £240 a month...eek!

    I was born here so it's what I'm used to. I live in quite an urban inner city area now, which is cool but can be a bit...edgy! I've been fine and dandy though.

    There is loads to do in London, but it is expensive, and I have to say it is nice to get away from time to time to visit OH's folks in rural Warwickshire!
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
  • Lauralou
    Lauralou Posts: 983 Forumite
    Crazy isnt it!! It costs me £240 a month...eek!

    I was born here so it's what I'm used to. I live in quite an urban inner city area now, which is cool but can be a bit...edgy! I've been fine and dandy though.

    There is loads to do in London, but it is expensive, and I have to say it is nice to get away from time to time to visit OH's folks in rural Warwickshire!

    Thats not even a weeks wage for me:eek:!! I want to go to london again sometime, it only takes about 2hours on the train so its a nice day out! I do love living where i do as it is semi-rural, im a countryside girl!!
  • Whereabouts are you then Laura?

    I think we'll move at some point. Much as I love my 'ghetto', I'm not sure I want to bring a kiddie up here!!
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
  • Penny35_2
    Penny35_2 Posts: 455 Forumite
    MV - I used to travel in my old job and at first loved it but as tme goes on its no fun getting on planes alone is it ? plus I dont like living out of suitcases. I have seen enough business hotels to last me forever lol.. But yes I see your dilemma London is very expensive. I agree sometimes you need something to come along to make you makes big changes :) I could not do that commute I used to moan at a 30 minute drive..

    LauraLou - Dont blame you for thinking about working from home, it is amazing how less stressed you become.

    I am lucky where we live is nice to bring a child up.

    :)
  • polkadot
    polkadot Posts: 1,867 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    MV what part of London do you live in? I just wrote a hole post about babies in London and then realised Im on the wrong thread-sorry. I live on the border of London and Kent. Luckily (or mayb not so lucky) because I am disabled and receive DLA, I have a freedom pass which gives me unlimited bus access and national rail and tube (of peak)-not that tubes and trains are where you want to be with buggies at all.
  • Penny35 wrote: »
    MV - I used to travel in my old job and at first loved it but as tme goes on its no fun getting on planes alone is it ? plus I dont like living out of suitcases. I have seen enough business hotels to last me forever lol.. But yes I see your dilemma London is very expensive. I agree sometimes you need something to come along to make you makes big changes :) I could not do that commute I used to moan at a 30 minute drive..

    You're spot on there Penny...travelling alone for me can be really stressful. I'm not a big fan of flying anyway, so having to do a 12 hour overnighter to SA is not my idea of fun.

    I think that things will have to change..I certainly wont be able to do the amounts of travel I have been doing the last few years..its all a bit stressful (I am the original worry about everything girl!), but I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time! What do you do now (if you dont mind me asking?)

    Polka - we live nearish to Streatham and Crystal palace. There are some nice parts of South London, but there are some rough old ones too..its not really what I want for my kids long term.
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
  • Lauralou
    Lauralou Posts: 983 Forumite
    Whereabouts are you then Laura?

    I think we'll move at some point. Much as I love my 'ghetto', I'm not sure I want to bring a kiddie up here!!

    I live in Dorset. 10 mins south ive got the beach, 10mins north ive got lots of green countryside, so i think as well its a nice place to bring up a child but the worst thing living here is the house prices are expensive, me and OH are trying to save like mad for a decent house but so expensive! Where abouts are you Penny?
    I think i will in a few years work from home, well start childminding! Get our own home first and have some money behind us incase childminding doesnt work out!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.