PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Argh. RL at it *again*.

OS Pleasures recently
    Listening to sons being clipped. One is seriously vain!

"I know what I'm doing with rain - it's sunshine has me foxed" - scout parent on the challenges our weather presents..

Someone put away a tent without getting it dry first - the gulping squalks of tent being pitched despite the niff turned to vehement opinion that the other pack are a right shower.

It is a pleasure to know I have worn a gifted garment, & shall donate it on, having confirmed my prejudice against floral patterns.

Unpacked another mystery Playmobil figure - a dashingly wigged & glorious braiding on his coat pirate, who's suit colour is so red, he's been named McEwan for the brew....

Migod, eldest has Done Something to his PC & if only it was ransomware. Instead, it looks weirder. And, happily, Completely Fixed by switching it right off & switching it back on again. Although I now have antivirus tech on a memory stick.

"Get the mouse off the bar, mum!" - unexpected invocation from The Candidate watching the Scottish play on my P.C. (Dual screen & definitely twice the trouble.) Oh aye & seemingly this is the Wrong Version (seems Candidate wanted someone other than Branagh)?!

Husband in email conversation with strange women on the Internet. Happily, he's looking for a particular vintage breed of cow horn. Happier still, a Cornishwoman has said she'll send him a sackful! I gather an unimpeachably authentic make-your-own-sharpening-gear kit is planned. [Horns have arrived, no idea in what currency Cornishwoman will be recompensed but as not traditional currency, can eavesdrop fascinated.]

"Hard & fast!" "I'm not sure how dry your tinder is." "Have a feel of that bit." The background noises from a research historian cheering on a child with flint & steel can disconcert.

A willing helper on shopping trips is worth rubies or, more affordably, volumes. Especially one who quotes Pratchett "B*ggerit millennium hand and shrimp".... [Sadly this service not available this weekend due to severe cold.]

The local rail line is for steam trains (sadly useless for commuting) but as we heard the whistle, youngest observed "a Train has Escaped...." - I'm not wholly sure letting them read Thomas the Tank Engine was a good idea. Youngest called it a dystopia, which had me blinking.

Yeay! There's a Grimm episode that is essentially A Midsummer Night's Dream but with 7 players (one of whom fell for himself in the mirror!) - it's so funny! The cast look to have enjoyed themselves too, chewing the furniture in high style - there must have been hours of out-takes.

And how was Teaching Assistant day one? "I got a group of Year 2s. They look on me as a God. A cool God." [They also think he's 20 - a mere 5 years out, but he's much charmed!]

I'm almost clear out of fingernails & the GCSEs start. The car I'd been lent turned out to have a lapsed MOT but that's in hand (rousing cheeseboard for my beloved mechanic!) so I can focus on the worrying about someone else's problems, like exams.

Lovely GP's receptionist sorted an appointment in two hours for diabetic with sore foot. Given he has form (including emergency surgery) for foot problems, very reassuring to hear him grousing about the timing of antibiotics being So Inconvenient.

Youngest should be full of triumph at the end of a good week of work experience, but (as many teachers will smile at in recognition), he has a juicy snuffling cold & is declaiming from under a handkerchief that they have given him Ebola.... Quarantined to boot to protect The Candidates. Maths GCSE this Thursday. [Nails gone, cuticles disappearing.]

My sense of smell is erratic - not non-existent (which would be so much simpler) but patchy - so I think I smell a Full English at Saturday teatime & blink, then hear a yell & feet thudding & yes - sons stump past carefully clutching plates! Truly it is a pleasure to have someone else cook.

Right. Bless you all for keeping on posting - & safe travels home BoP (Donald persuade you to buy anything?!).
    All health strength courage hwbs & line drying where possible!
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,190 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pleasures for today (Saturday)

1) A bit of a lie in.

2) Croissants for breakfast.

3) Fed hens, checked veg planted out yesterday.

4) Did lots of washing, tidied up.

5) Bigger son went to local pub and has a job starting next Saturday!

6) Planted more sweetcorn seeds.

7) Sorted various bits out through online banking.

8) Caught up on HIGNFY and watched Casualty.

9) Cooked all remaining damsons and blackberries in the freezer (at last!) and made 2 very large jars of jam.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    We're outta here. At Newark Airport. Sampling wobbleade. Decent snorker to be murdered tomorrow. More later!
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1 was reported earlier
    2) cooking a veggie stew using up things that needed using up
    3) finishing an urgent work job. Now my holiday can begin:-)
    4) ceilidhing at fund raiser for Peruvian children's charity. It was a mix of ceilidh and salsa, so
    5) salsaing with keyboard player from the band. He's an elderly gentleman who is normally very serious. Good fun
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Now back from a short holiday in the Cotswolds, some pleasures.

The gorgeous month of May, has to be my favourite.

Comfortable and homely holiday cottage, not sure about upside down living though.

Driving round a corner and there, in a lush paddock, stood several mares with tiny foals at foot, long-legged beauties.

A visit to Blockley church where Father B is filmed, lovely to wander round and good tea & cake in the farm shop there.

How many wisteria covered cottages are too many, none apparently, had expected the usual tourist hotspots to be glorious but didn't expect vilage after splendid village.

Home and the comforts of our own bed.
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good evening. Just made a lasagne and an apple pie. In oven and we are waiting!

Early start. Then ended up being a tad lazy and having a snooze!

Tidied up my desk. Wrote a list of things to do for paperworky stuff this coming week.

Flicked through some magazines from work. Recycled. Kept a few recipes.

Nice autumnal dog walk with DD1 and Haggis. We all love a stomp through the leaves.

We went to the cinema to see 'Snatched' much laughing out loudly. We used vouchers, took our own snacks and drinks. I do like the reclining seats our cinema now has.

Have a good Sunday
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Clothes in the washer. All coloured, same wash! That's put shivers up DfV!

Just off out to the Wobbleade emporium. All day ... it's snorker time.

Catch up the morrow!
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 May 2017 at 5:59PM
    Options
    I just absolutely love reading what you guys write! It has put me in a really good mood.

* A graduation fiesta for a dear friend's daughter. Tiny tacos with five different salsas to try and ranchero pinto beans plus Spanish rice. And cake!!! I'm still stuffed this morning! Many family members came from Mexico and many from around southern New Mexico. Oh how I wish I spoke Spanish! They all hugged us and translated for the ones who didn't speak English. Songs sung by a really great alto voice to which many joined in....not us because they were in Spanish. It was a beautiful family celebration to which we were so privileged to be a part of (as we have been adopted).

* I've been watching the first season of 'The White Queen' on Amazon prime. Yes, I have to fast forward through the 'necked' parts----why do they have to a ruin perfectly good series with that stuff. We all know how that's done and don't have to see it!
    I digress.
    I am very much enjoying learning about this era of English history. I'm sure you all cut your teeth on the War of the Roses, but as an American it is only something I have briefly heard in a World History class in high school. So I'm enjoying the heck out of this series. Although I have put off for two days watching how the two princes were missing from the Tower. I know that happened long ago but I have a mother's heart and dread this happening in the next episode.
    And now history may be rewritten with the Finding Richard Project. But I read that the Church of England with the support of the Queen won't let DNA research be done of the two sets of bones buried by Charles II. So maybe not.
    Bare/bear with me....depending on which spelling for that particular phrase you prefer.
    I'm being educated by a TV series. :D:rotfl:

* Floor in sitting room is almost torn up. (The next house project) We are replacing flooring in three sitting rooms. The expense never ends! But after raising all those kids and the faulty pipes under one floor, it desperately needs to be redone! Plus, the house was old when we bought it. I'm on the hunt for the best price I can find for engineered wood flooring.

* DD3 broke up with the guy she was seeing and is very sad. Although it doesn't sound like a good thing I think it probably is, because their focus in life was so different. Ariel of the sea and Eric of the land.

* hmm. It's still early here...I'll have to return later with my fifth.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,190 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mila - I think the Tudors are more popular here - Henry 7, 8, Edward 6, Mary then Elizabeth. 1485 - 1603. Then you get the Stuarts and the Civil War!
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Henry VIII has always been popular here but not the others. The Stuarts? I need some good book recommendations.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family