PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Thanks for your good wishes. I was watching the incomprehensible news last night from Manchester and it was a good five minutes after waking up that I remembered about the email telling me I had a new job.

Today will be spent setting things up for that, mostly, updated my PayPal account as that's how they pay me, then we have the live music club this evening.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    1) We have tickets for the rugby final at Twickenham next Saturday &. DD1 treated us and bought us rail tickets too, Oh My Goodness am I looking forward to that!

Burling day!! :rotfl: One for the Cabin Pressure fans. hold tight to your whiskey
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    1) early start to get 7:15 flight to Venice. Slight delay due to lady in wheelchair accidentally being put on flight to Palma. All ended well

Oops but LOL :rotfl:
    I have a new job, as an online English Instructor. My old job hasn't officially ended but it isn't generating any income at the moment.
    To say I am relieved is an understatement.

:T

Hello all - back from our family wedding in S. wales. Crikey it's a long way away

Pleasures for the past few days

1. good trip down with OH. nice coffee in Tenbury Wells, lunch in Brecon and afternoon tea at a National Trust we didn't know was there. NT house had a forest boardwalk that was just sublime
    2. shared house - 9 of us altogether. No-one (really) fell out though there was a little tension on sunday
    3. The wedding was beautiful. The happy couple looked really happy. it was my joint fave nephew and his girlfriend of 10 years, they met in the first term of university and only got introduced because their names were next to each other on the register :p
    4. Happy with how i looked. i don't always get dressing up right. This time I think i did
    5. Lovely, lovely coast path walk on Sunday . only 6 miles but was stunning Pembrokeshire coast. SiL caused some tension (see 1.
    ;)) but we all recovered.
    6. Nice day with MiL yesterday (yes, really). She has finally agreed to go in disability scooters and wheelchairs so we can take her out and about more. We went to visit nephew and niece in law and then to a NT with the most stunning gardens. beautiful day. Finished up some leftover food at MiLs before coming home.

Off on the beer tonight, :beer:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Off on the [STRIKE]beer[/STRIKE] WOBBLEADE tonight, :beer:
    I don't nose how's many times I has to get off my butt and correct you lot!
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Congrats on the job mcc and surviving tension vjsmum
    Terrible news from Manchester. Heard it in the coach to Venice and couldn't get any replies from family for a couple of hours
    1) yummy breakfast. Made up a couple of brown rolls and took a nectarine for later
    2) coach dropped us at tronchetto from where we got a boat to front of campo bandiera e Moro. Beautiful journey into Venice proper
    3) guided tour of 'undiscovered Venice' followed by wander on my own - found a couple of nice churches to explore / cool off in
    4) lunch on steps of 2nd church where I managed to get free wifi and find husband fine (up to that point I had no idea where the bomb had been). Relief tinged with sorrow for those who have lost. Truly awful. then back to piazza San Marco for gondola ride. So peaceful
    5) another wander, another church and a much appreciated Americano con latte before heading back
    6) joined friends for dinner. They had opted out of Venice trip and had a very enjoyable day pottering by the pool and in town. Time for a cuppa and bed
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • chella
    chella Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    Bought a bag of cherries and some raspberries from the market seller, I love cherries!!!! First ones I have tasted all year.

Had a ys green thai curry for dinner, another favourite of mine.

Met a good friend for coffee and a catch up.

Had a clear out of my work bag, I do hoard some utter carp in there!!!

Sat here listening to the birds with a cuppa.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,568 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 May 2017 at 10:12PM
    Options
    Well, &'s tried re-sticking all the Thank'ees, but they're all a bit velcro.
    Special thanks to Raffles for some beautiful sun.
    Excellent mil news, vjm - BUT SEE ME AFTER SKOOL - SPELLINGS, PLEASE!!!
    Paris Transcript | Cabin Pressure Fans

www.cabinpressurefans.co.uk/cabin-pressure-episode-transcripts/paris-transcript/

CAROLYN: You are not going to do anything with it, Raffles, and I'll tell you why not: this Birling Day, the whiskey is going to be under constant and vigilant watch ..
    -and includes Raffles :-)))
    Ooh yes, well done on the Dressing Up Right, too.
    #
    1. was, still is, mcc's truly needed, timely, marvellous news.

2. Parcel2go have 'kindly' agreed to refund £28.45 for a delivery & did not book, having been told they could not deliver another person's property to Oz. P2g used to be good. Recent reviews replicate cliff plummet. They took &'s money anyway, didn't tell &. That's not allowed. Nonononono.

3. More marmalade done o/n with frozen sevilles. Rather liked the look of site:
    https://craftinvaders.co.uk/seville-orange-marmalade-made-with-frozen-fruit/

Hmm, nettle crisps? Stinger wobbleade, bop? Mebbe not.

4. There's a much-hassled starling maman with 3 huge bullying infants. They all fly in, the ados immediately screeching for bread, seeds, whatever's about in &land and they also mug each other. Such kitchen window watching helps & through dreary repetitive peel slicing and stirring and jar+lid sterilising and labelling and blahblah..... Drop-ins from bullfinch, jackdaw[love them] and magpie[&'s enzed hometown rugby boys in days of yore] this arvo, too.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawke%27s_Bay_Rugby_Union

5. Towbar on new2& meriva also meant new trailer no.plate. Another expense, but done. &'s Halfords dislike reinforced when they wouldn't even drill 2 holes in it. £4 demanded for this - don't be silly. Job done by &, Heated skewer, pierced 2 perfect holes v.prettily. New plate now on trailer and big load of garden gore gone tothedump-tothedump-tothedsump-dump-dump. Then cut some heavy-scented roses after putting trailer back on drive. They're now on a table & sees out kitchen window. All is well.
    #
    & did not know of Manchester atrocity until mid-morning, when swapping from r4x>r5x for cricket commentary. Little to say, nothing useful. Fell back on our 2 lovely, very different, Rogation services on Sunday, where dark news fell for one half of a terrific couple. Mhags - you will understand, especially with your latest piece of exceptional diary/writing. There we all were, in a blissful orchard, with cows, sheep, hens, good dogs on leads:-) and curate newly Prof.'d...so much good. yet so much heart-ache on a sunny day of green and trees and paddocks and black fen tilth and should-be happiness.

Bonne nuit, gently.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Such sad news regarding Manchester.

* Trip to Roswell to the orthodontist to have the tooth implant begun. He cut my gum, put an anchor screw into my jawbone and sewed it up. The pleasure is having this part over. (Can you tell the drugs are working?;)) I'll see him again in two months.

* Came home to see the contractor, Bryan, had hung a very large Samoan picture my FIL had brought home from his time there during WWII. Bryan wanted to surprise me. It needs to be hung 3" higher but the effort was a nice gesture. He will adjust the height tomorrow.

* There was also progress on removing the ruined wood flooring in one of the sitting rooms. We discussed the ceiling needing to be redone so that gets added to the list.

* I made a cherry dump cake. My guys have been warming it and adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I have abstained and am quite smug about this accomplishment. :D

* Quoye has had her first taste of apple cider. They are in Oregon where there are apple trees galore. DD1 has a continuing education conference and so her husband and Quoye are along. They will head to the beach for a few days when the conference days are over. It so happens that our youngest son and his GF are also in Portland to see his old college roommate graduate.
    They all met up and consumed cider (Quoye) and hard cider...the rest of them.
    Would that be Wappleades BoP? :think:

* More boxes of kitchen stuff washed and put away. I'm almost at the end.

DD, your author suggestions are very appreciated and have been put into my special notebook where I list such things. I also keep track of which books I've read, by author, in the same book. (I've been known to start a book I've read and not realize it until partway through the first chapter)

Mcc, such good employment news!

p.s. It RAINED!!! Well for 15 min but hey, that's better than nothing.

Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,202 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Scotch pancakes and raspberries for breakfast.

3) Hens well.

4) Physics practice papers completed plus one maths and a bit of English Lit. Plenty of grumbling about it.

5) Picked the car up from the garage and it is MENDED! I have had it just shy of 2 years and the road handling has always been meandering and now it isn't any more!

6) Made soda bread.

7) Went to the charity shop and got 2 pairs of shorts for bigger son (who hasn't worn shorts since he was 7), a T shirt for smaller son and a White Stuff tunic dress for me.

8) Had a cup of tea with my school friend.

9) Used the last of my Jack Monroe burgers for my tea.

10) Watched Holby.

11) The turtle that has been in extremis for 2 weeks and not eating suddenly burst into life and has been eating tons! He started off with swollen eyes which got worse and they don't eat if they can't see. He spent several sad days resting on the floor of the tank but now - eyes open, swimming again. We are all relieved.

No school for bigger son today but who would like to see what happened to his bus, halfway between school and our house this evening.....?

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/15304412.Bus_catches_fire_near_Bewdley/
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yikes! What on earth happened?

.....off to look up Scotch pancakes
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,202 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 24 May 2017 at 12:09AM
    Options
    These are they, Mila. Very cheap (especially when reduced) and seem to go nicely with all fruit or just treacle for a speedy breakfast.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/pancakes---crepes/sainsburys-pancakes--basics-x6

What is even better (though never that cheap) are Welsh cakes which can luckily be found in shops near me as we're just over the border:

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/tan-y-castell-welsh-cakes-6-pack?gclid=CJ2lt4SRh9QCFU-eGwod8SIP7w
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport