PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• Chickenopolis
    Chickenopolis Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    Options
    OT - just noticed your sig. and the weight that you have lost .Wow you skinny malinky !!

Goldenpony - nice neighhmm (boom boom !) welcome x

KB - thank you x
    :AToo fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life :A
  • Tealady_2
    Tealady_2 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Evening

Pleasures for today,
    1. Packed lunches for everyone again today, took some HM bread into work that would have been wasted so made toast for the boys in the department which they enjoyed.
    2. Really off tea at the moment so bought a bottle of Mr.T value lemon squash for work, grand total of 32p:money:
    3. Piece of chocolate cake at work from someones birthday, yummy
    4. DD getting good marks in her first assignment at college :j
    5. Fringe trimmed for free at the hairdressers so can now see, have made an appointment to have it cut and coloured though as starting to look a bit like a badger.:o
    6. Yummy chicken and cashew nut chow mein for dinner using the left over roast chicken from sunday.

Hugs to all who need them
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    1) Left over risotto for lunch, and a new-season pear.
    2) Still picking beans from the garden, and dug up some potatoes this evening for tea which made excellent wedges.
    3) Have put the electric blanket on. I probably said before but it's a single electric blanket that I found in the cupboard and it works perfectly well laid horizontally across the bed so I'm not buying another one yet.
    4) Tip from Mireille Guiliano's Why French Women Don't Get Fat cook book - decant a full bottle of wine into a half bottle and only drink half. It works very well if one of you isn't bothered about wine (DH) but will have one glass while the other one (me) likes to choose a nice wine but can't drink a whole bottle. It seems to keep the wine longer than just using a cork because there's no air in the bottle. I would recommend the book, by the way.

Can't think of a fifth but it's been a good day.
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1. Reverbe'd a nice shiny penny at lunchtime :)

2. Went into the office for the first time since the announcement of my imminent departure and so spent a lot of time chatting about how excited I am to be leaving to pursue my dreams!

3. Lovely work colleague was in, and I had to pop back with DD later so they got to meet again (mutual appreciation society)

4. Made scrummy dinner out of slightly green spuds (cut off the green bits!), and leftovers of baked beans mixed with veggie soup. Sounds vile but tasted amazing, even if I say so myself. DD had thirds!

5. DD's new dance class was lovely, much easier to get to on a Tuesday than a Friday and it was lovely to see her back with 2 of her best dance chums who moved to the class a while back :)

6. Good books taken out of library, I'll miss working opposite it probably more than anything else about work......

7. Went out for a quick drink with guiding chums this evening and had a delicious G&T bought for me, slurp!

8. DD had fun with her babysitter tonight, her favourite big girl chum

9. Rainbows was a little manic but fun

10. YS bread, mushrooms, little choccy cakes for DD's packed lunch as I'm currently too bone idle to make my own...oops!

11. Hopefully organised a babysitter for next Friday night's shindig :)

12. Looking forward to going to see a friend for lunch on Thursday

13. Looking forward to catching up on a few blogs/emails then going to bed very soon, feel tired and coldy still, but bed will be divine!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening all - have retired to bed with the world's worst headache that just won;t shift.

PQ - I found that book rather inspirational, infact was spookily just thinking i would follow her leek soup diet tomorrow as I am feeling rather bloated and need to cut the carbs for a bit. Thought it would give me a kick start.

1. Walls are painted. It has turned out a little lighter than I expected but i like it. We have been to choose carpet which they are coming to measure for on Thursday
    2, OH cooked chicken curry for tea using YS chicken, half a jar of curry sauce left over, some frozen rice left over from a takeaway (yes, I had cooled it quickly and fast froze)
    3. YS bread stuff from Mr M - pack of 6 teacakes for 5p, a wholemeal loaf for 9p and a small warburtons that was supposed to be 5p but she couldn't make it go through the till so just gave it to me :D (made up for the value baby bath I use in the soap dispensers jumping from 11p to 36p :eek::mad:)
    4. Nice walk to work from station and back again this evening.
    5, Beautiful sunset.

Night all
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Welcome goldenpony, you're definitely welcome here with your name and OS ways
    Been some interesting revenge suggestions. Hell hath no fury etc, etc...:D
    Chicken feel better now. I'm lucky not to have headaches often (that's pushing my luck) but I feel for people who do, they're next to hell, as you said. Hope yours has gone now
    TILAMS agreed 'they've' sold cat milk for years, sad aren't they? Nowt wrong with water, in fact my two refuse anything but

1. The curtains I bought on eb@y have arrived, trouble is they're not the pretty lemon yellow they appeared to be but a bright citrus orange/yellow :eek:, certainly not suitable for the lounge. Will have to think of a way to tone them down, or they could be used to line new ones, if I have buy again.

2. Made a loaf with some just-in-date yeast and it's turned out well

3. First the printer and then the lappy, was notified of an update so tried to install it and that's when it all went very wrong for some reason. However I left it for a while uninstalled everything, re-installed it and now it's working again. And I didn't lose anything! Well my patience maybe, but nothing more serious, as far as I know

4. had a phone call inviting me to see Eric Clapton on NY Eve. Yes, please! I last saw him at the Ricky Tick club in Windsor in the 60's so it's about time I saw him again :)

5. Just going to settle in bed with a cuppa and watch the Edna O'Brien doc

Night night :)
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nom nom everyone's suppers sound lish. Was looking at a goulash recipe tonight - must be the weather.
    Hope the head's recovering vjsmum and now i'm struck by the strangeness of the word recover
    1) oh's birthday pressie arrived (phew it's next week)
    2) got student's dissertation submitted hooray
    3) band practice and we each got a bottle of red and a bar of fairtrade chocolate for our last gig nom nom
    4) next ceilidh we get stovies and trifle :P
    5) oh has bought some freesias they smell super and are in the colours ofnour wedding 25 years ago tomorrow.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Morning all !! just been catching up from yesterday phew !! welcome to new people esp goldenpony and welcome back to others... lovely to read your pleasures

Chicken and VJsmum hope your headaches are gone.. be better now !! x

OT glad to hear your boys HShorse.gif are still coming along well

DundeeDoll ... Happy anniversary WOW 25 years must be lurve... HSt257391801_3261.gif

Sparrer ... eric clapton ny eve..... sounds fab

Boring day yesterday
    1. got into office early and built up some flexi

2. the phones were spookily quiet... the lull before the storm methinks

3. was told on arrival there was a possibility of increasing our hours and had until 2.30pm to decide what I would provisionally want to do so they can check funding. Not sure that this is a pleasure at the moment as am struggling to do my current hours but at least it is another option if new job doesnt materialise.... and we can change our minds later

4. flip flops turned up in post ... blooming typical after waiting in all day monday for them to be delivered. At least I dont have to do trip to post office now

5. leftovers for tea. Didnt go shopping Mon so we have been living off odds and ends in fridge and freezer. Luckily I had a few stores in.

Am gonna try and get back to sleep now. Dozed off on sofa about 9pm then went to bed 10pm and slept until 3am this morning..... would be nice to get another couple hours shuteye... have a good day everyone x
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Chickenopolis
    Options
    Good morning all !

Thanks all - headache gone - hormone stuff :(VJsmum- I hope that yours has gone .

Skint - ditto ! I was watching Embarrassing Bodies (not the loud snoring creature lying next to me )at 3am as I fell asleeep at 8pm . Skint good luck re the job and hours increase - whatever decision you make will be right for you I'm sure ;)

Have a good day all !
    :AToo fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life :A
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2012 at 9:42AM
    Options
    Aha, I spy with mon petit oeuil more fans of 'Why French women don't get fat'...good!

The leek soup[my present version is sans poireaux]works...

1. ...and is meet, fit, right with gym prog in place. New cross-trainers[loathe,loathe] and walking machines are an improvment. Yes, I will stick to it and again KNOW how lucky I am that it is 1000 walking steps from here, which is very little. It's 12 weeks, which takes me to start of silversmithing, I calculate and I do fret at anchorage, shackles, chains - but these I must bite, this time.

2. Wrote 4 big letters, in time for -

3....gym in cold, grey, Fenny fog. But, out in beautiful balmy warming sun a scant hour later, which stayed all day. Transforming, uplifting - love it.

4. FOUND slightly mislaid library book - RELIEF! I'd had to extend it online - another great service. Each time I looked for it, where I KNEW I'd placed it, it had caught itself in bedding and moved with that.

5. Bus pass free to Cambridge, always a pleasure, but on such a day a pleasure redoubled.

6. The little friendly PO in the Grafton Centre, with kowhai tree outside. All but one of the once-interesting little warren of quirky shops, studios, salons here have closed, but this PO makes it worth the diversion. Overheard another customer saying pretty much the same thing, as I used the lovely heavy oak desk shelf, with sellotape, maps, mints, stapler, string, scissors, postcode finders and numerous etceteras.

7. Posted off DT £2.20p+p chq for 'free pashmina', after I'd checked it was suitably pashmina/silk 70/30. Memories of a prev. free Tie Rack offer, multiply done, and glad to see someone from then still with us on mse.

8. A really lovely afternoon to be in town and overhearing like comments from others passed and passing.

9. Settled for clich! soap de luxe/choc de luxe, to enclose with card for someone. Small[and ms] but sproncey will be noted and correct in this case.

10. Still no luck in finding cheapest poss. small jars of anything[to tip out/freeze/hand on] for apple jelly containers. Was heading to town Sainsburys or Lakeland, in heart of Cambridge, when I saw 3 lady mallards walking out of Waterstone's portico. How/Why etc.- to have left water and found their way deep into winding street...no idea, but they risked flattening as it was after 16h and these inner streets were open to traffic, inc mad cyclists, again. Took pics on 'phone and several of us, from both sides of street tried shepherding them out of harm's - in particular - white frigo lorry's, way. They suddenly ran at some sandwich crusts outside Rymans, but as I neared, I saw it was chickenwings they were attacking with such gusto. Crossed quickly to Waterstone's, asked a gormless girl to ring either Council, Parks, RSPB or whoever to save them from themselves[they were banded],but gormless is as gormless does...i.e. nothing, so out I went again, to keep them in view, proceeding up Market Passage, then out again, causing everything to swerve, people and traffic. A chap and I saw a police car and they took over. This left me 2 minutes in Library, during which time I took a book, finding this morning that it's one previously read:-). Act in haste etc.

11. A lot of curtain tales here atm. I'm really liking mine too, Frith - and yours will settle, sparrer, or turn out to be the PERFECT colour/fabric for something else. Colour sounds right for Barcelona. I envy you seeing Gaudi's buildings, esp. Casa Batll!. Frith, it won't be only me noticing your 'good sleeps' totting up nicely. Ache or anger as you may, there's a much lighter tone straight away in your posting and those good days beget MORE good days. They are habit-forming. Good for you and good for us reading them. We benefit too:-)

12. Didn't know abut Edna O'B prog sparrer, so will catch that at some point.

13. GBBO from bed and indolence of using mob. net to read funny comments online as it ran. Don't like Brendan[he has his own website], do like James. Haven't watched any Strictly so far, so this seems to be my substitute atm.

14. Book: John Betjeman - Trains and Buttered Toast, ed. Stephen Games. Not all soft-focus sentiment, but tight, evocative, yet incisive stuff, completely relevant now, but written and first broadcast in the 30's.

Hopeful day for everyone - starts here, with extra HUGS for kitchenbunny.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure