PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• CrazyPaving
    CrazyPaving Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 June 2013 at 3:21PM
    Options
    Well everybody, I went to Tesco to ask the head baker there exactly how to make Tiger bread.
    He said to make a thick paste from sesame seed oil and ground semolina OR rice flour, and slap it on thick onto the bread when it starts its proving. Then, let it prove fully, and bake as normal. I'm going to try this out as soon as I can!
    :D BOOSH!!
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    holly8910 wrote: »
    I had to make tiger paste at college whilst doing a baking qualification. The 5 ingredients that have been listed so many times over is the correct answer. Oil, water, yeast, rice flour (semolina) and salt. Sugar is optional. It is the yeast that gives the topping its flavour, therefore try using fresh yeast if you are using dried and add more if you want a stronger flavour. What type of oil doesn't really matter, vegetable or sesame.

Why you're all so desperate to make it I do not understand. As someone has already said, it is so painful for the bakers to use if it comes into contact with skin, and blinding if it gets into your eyes.

The bread can look different in the supermarket as bakers often make mistakes, too much water in the dough hence flat bread. Forgetting to put the paste on before proving the dough. Even seen some guys put the paste on half way through baking when the Manager demands tiger loaves instantly.

To my bakery, it is the devils loaf.

Hope this helps answer the mystery.

I've just spent the whole afternoon reading the entire thread looking for the quick answer to the 'How do you make Tiger Bread.'

My personal answer, reading the quoted post, is 'Just buy it' which is not something I would ever, ever normally say. Just this once, I'm going to admit the supermarket professionals have made something that this amateur cook shouldn't even be thinking of trying to do. The thought of that paste coming into contact with an animal or a child (or my eyes) is enough to make me realise - they earn their money.
    Better is good enough.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having tried loads of recipes and failed miserably I'm chuffed to say I've done it!

89dd413e-b551-4182-b470-ce4a413a9c97.jpg

Paste recipe is
    1.5 tsp of alison active yeast
    1 tsp of sugar x 2
    1.5 tsp of oil
    60g of rice flour (may need a touch more)
    60ml of warm water

Mix the yeast with 1 tsp of sugar and the warm water. Wait 15 mins 'till it's all nice and frothy.
    Then add the oil to the yeast and stir well
    In a separate bowl add the rice flour and 1 tsp of sugar, then slowly, whilst mixing, add the yeast liquid to it 'till you get a stuff paste. It shouldn't immediately drip off a spoon for example.
    Apply the all the paste very thickly, then leave your bread for it's 2nd rise.
    Pop into oven and watch with a torch in my case, as it started to form the tiger pattern, then get all excited :j

It tastes fab but I would guess with sesame oil it would be even better.
    Hope it works as well for you as it did me.
  • greigster
    Options
    I know it has been a while since the last post in this thread but has anyone come closer to getting the same shop bought flavour in their home made Tiger Bread.
  • merlin777
    Options
    I was happy with mine. Can't lay my hands on the recipe at the moment but it was a basic white loaf with a paste applied after shapng it between proving. I think the paste was sesame oil, rice flour, yeast and water I think. If i find it i'll post it. edit - it was the one from annie123.

My impression is that there is no single recipe. TB from my local supermarket all taste different so you'll probably need to try a few recipies.

This was mine:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nudiejftpql0b20/7107_381166991993912_637601960_n.jpg?dl=0
  • Tsgf01
    Options
    I use this recipe on a daily basis for the crusty topping.

25 g rice flour
    1g dry yeast
    1g salt
    1g sugar
    1 tsp veg oil
    25 ml warm water.

Put the dry ingredients in a small bowl, mix in the oil, then add the water, the result will be a thick paste. Lave to the side with cling film over the bowl and when your bread has proved, use a silicone pastry brush to paint on top of your dough, this helps with the overall look. Make sure your over is very hot when you put your bread in as this helps with the crust and gets that tiger bread look and the taste is just perfect.
  • Munchkinsmum
    Options
    annie123 wrote: »
    Having tried loads of recipes and failed miserably I'm chuffed to say I've done it!

Paste recipe is
    1.5 tsp of alison active yeast
    1 tsp of sugar x 2
    1.5 tsp of oil
    60g of rice flour (may need a touch more)
    60ml of warm water

Mix the yeast with 1 tsp of sugar and the warm water. Wait 15 mins 'till it's all nice and frothy.
    Then add the oil to the yeast and stir well
    In a separate bowl add the rice flour and 1 tsp of sugar, then slowly, whilst mixing, add the yeast liquid to it 'till you get a stuff paste. It shouldn't immediately drip off a spoon for example.
    Apply the all the paste very thickly, then leave your bread for it's 2nd rise.
    Pop into oven and watch with a torch in my case, as it started to form the tiger pattern, then get all excited :j

It tastes fab but I would guess with sesame oil it would be even better.
    Hope it works as well for you as it did me.

What bread recipe did you use please? And any kind of tin? I've never successfully made bread!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure