PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Options

Comments

• Strez
    Options
    Tiger bread/baps/cubs were created by Don Job in the 1980`s. He was head baker at a place called The Oven Door in Penzance, Cornwall.

I was a baker for ten years and made the paste mix by hand and the ingredients was only the following :

Rice flour, veg oil, salt, yeast, water thats it, this was hand whisked in a bucket to nice paste then left to stand. this was then applied to semi-proved products (it must be applied quite thickly) then reproved causing the mix to crack before entering the ovens.

The bread mix is just a plain white like every other white roll or loaf produced nothing extra is added

Im with this one, ive just bought warbutons tiger bread, if you take all the bread off the crust and just try the crust you cant taste the nutty taste just over cooked crust.

so i think the nutty taste is just the perception we have for over cooked crust.
  • Spiritedwolf
    Options
    Has anyone cracked this yet? I'd love to know if anyone had success with malt extract (as it was mentioned in the supermarket recipes) because I'd like to try it but it would involve a special trip to pick some up from a health food shop (I'd imagine). I don't have sesame oil either, do we think it is in the topping or not - is it worth getting some just to experiment with Tiger toppings? What else do you use sesame oil for?

I love that other people are so passionate about Tiger Bread, I just wish you'd come up with an answer for me to use straight away! I can't try it today (I don't have rice flour either!) and I've already got everything I need to try an apple loaf this afternoon but I'd love to know what works so I can add the ingredients to my shopping list. Thanks again xxx
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    Strez wrote: »
    Im with this one, ive just bought warbutons tiger bread, if you take all the bread off the crust and just try the crust you cant taste the nutty taste just over cooked crust.

so i think the nutty taste is just the perception we have for over cooked crust.
    I've never tried the Warburton's version so can't comment on that

however, the crumb of supermarket bakery Tiger Bread tastes/tasted* like normal white bread, but the crust is/was* very aromatic (& certainly not overcooked) so much so that if I'd been out of the house & someone had brought a Tiger loaf in, I could smell its distinctive 'flavour' as soon as I opened the front door :D

*that said, the last few times I've had Tiger Bread, its unique flavour hasn't been present :( it tasted like any other bloomer loaf, but with a decorative crust
    Has anyone cracked this yet? I'd love to know if anyone had success with malt extract (as it was mentioned in the supermarket recipes) because I'd like to try it but it would involve a special trip to pick some up from a health food shop (I'd imagine). I don't have sesame oil either, do we think it is in the topping or not - is it worth getting some just to experiment with Tiger toppings? What else do you use sesame oil for?

I love that other people are so passionate about Tiger Bread, I just wish you'd come up with an answer for me to use straight away! I can't try it today (I don't have rice flour either!) and I've already got everything I need to try an apple loaf this afternoon but I'd love to know what works so I can add the ingredients to my shopping list. Thanks again xxx
    hi :)
    I'm still struggling with a house/kitchen like a building site so my experiments are still at the planning stage, but I hope to give it another go soon

we've got various theories on the go about what's in the toppping, we all agree about the crackle glaze, but the jury's still out about what flavouring's involved, if any

I've got malt extract & Chinese sesame oil, you can use malt extract in place of other sweeteners or to add flavour in bread recipes & sesame oil is used as a seasoning in Chinese & south-east Asian cooking (but not for stir frying)

I'd love to figure this mystery out, particularly now that the supermarket loaves seem to have lost their lovely taste

I think my next experiment was going to be using the rice flour glaze, then painting on some sesame oil while the bread's still hot from the oven.
    I do this a with Italian olive oil bread & it gives a lovely fragrant crust, so I wonder if it would work for the Tiger Bread :think:

I'll see if I can clear a space in my kitchen over the weekend & try it out
  • feedumall
    Options
    hi cant do links but google pain de mie thats it i think the cracking happens as the bread bursts through the crust ,hope this helps
  • Swan_2
    Options
    feedumall wrote: »
    hi cant do links but google pain de mie thats it i think the cracking happens as the bread bursts through the crust ,hope this helps
    pain de mie is a 'sandwich' loaf, usually baked in a closed tin so that the slices turn out perfectly square

you must be thinking of some other kind of loaf :)
  • feedumall
    feedumall Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    this is the paste
    150ml water
    100g semolina
    1 tsp yeast
    1 tbsp oil
    1 tsp sugar
    leave for two hours then coat the dough and cook from Danlepard . com they call it tigerbread the photo looks right to 3986554493_539d61b34b_o.jpg
  • Swan_2
    edited 29 January 2011 at 8:35PM
    Options
    feedumall wrote: »
    this is the paste
    150ml water
    100g semolina
    1 tsp yeast
    1 tbsp oil
    1 tsp sugar
    leave for two hours then coat the dough and cook from Danlepard . com they call it tigerbread the photo looks right to 3986554493_539d61b34b_o.jpg
    it looks like a lovely loaf, I wonder does it have the 'Tiger' taste/smell?

I love Dan Lepard's site, I can spend hours reading the forums :) but somehow missed this recipe

I think I'm going to have to try this one out, I like the sound of the semolina in the paste
  • JustJack
    Options
    Haven't been able to do any experimenting for ages as have been so busy over the last few months or so and (horror of horrors) have had to buy my rolls for lunch! The last time I tried, I made up a paste without yeast or rice flour, just plain flour and plenty of sesame oil in one and veg oil in the other, just to simplify and see how much difference the oils make. Well, it didn't seem to make a blind bit of difference - I couldn't tell from taste or smell which was which though I did get a nice thick crust!

I think the magic & individual "tiger" smell we all want is from something else, not the oil. Have yet to get any malted barley extract, just haven't had the time recently but may go on the hunt for it soon if I get a chance. I'm not confident this is the answer but I at least want to have a go with it so I can rule it out.

Glad to see other people still interested in figuring this out :)
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To me it smells like warm popcorn - I have just ordered the dry blade container for my vitamix, so when I get it, I will grind up some popcorn and give that a try. Just putting this here to remind me to do it !!!!!!
  • thatguy1
    thatguy1 Posts: 5,363 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry to bump, contacted Tesco & got this list of ingredients.

I can confirm the ingredient list for the Tiger bread topping.

Our instore bakeries use a paste consisting of:
    Vegetable Oil , vegetable fat, flour treatment agent ( ascorbic acid ), L-CYSTEINE, hydrochloride, stabeliser, Disodium, Disthosphate, Barley malt extract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure