PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Options

Comments

• Purplekylie22
    Purplekylie22 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    I had always been under the impression that the crust was made using a mix of seasame oil and soya sauce, but never put it to the test....
    Bankruptcy Supporters Club No.179
  • aliandtone
    aliandtone Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2011 at 8:01PM
    Options
    Tiger bread or Dutch crunch is made with sesame oil and with a pattern baked into the top made by painting rice paste onto the surface prior to baking

Crackle Bread:

Ingredients
    Night Before:
    • 1 cup bread flour
    • 1/2 cup stone ground
    • whole wheat flour
    • 3/4 cup warm water
    • 1/4 tsp instant yeast

• Day of:
    • 2 cups bread flour
    • 3/4 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
    • 2 cup chopped croissants
    • 1 1/4 cup lukewarm water
    • 2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 tsp instant yeast

• Coating:
    • 1/3 cup warm water
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 1/2 cup white rice flour
    • 4 tsp vegetable oil
    • 1/8 teaspoon of salt
    • 1/2 tsp instant yeast

Method
    The night before combine all the "Night before" ingredients together; mix and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to sit in room temperature room overnight or 12 - 18 hours. The next morning pour the "Night Before" mixture into a large bowl. Add the 1 1/4 cups of lukewarm water and mix till blended. Pour in the whole wheat flour and finely chopped croissants. Mix with a wooden spoon till well mixed. Add salt and instant yeast. Once well mixed start to add the bread flour 1/2 cup at a time. When the dough becomes to hard to mix, pour out onto a flat surface and continue to incorporate the rest of the flour. Knead for about 8 - 10 minutes. Add a little oil to a clean bowl. Place the dough into the bowl and turn over a few time to lightly coat all sides. Allow to rest for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or till double in bulk. Once the dough has rested till doubled; pour out onto a flat surface. Cut the dough into two equal parts. Roll each piece into a ball and place onto a piece of parchment paper. Allow to rise for an hour. About an half an hour before baking the bread, you can start the coating. In a small bowl combine the water, sugar, rice flour, salt, oil and instant yeast. Mix with a wooden spoon till smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest till doubled. Once the bread is ready to bake, spread the paste onto the outside of the loaves. Place into a preheated 380 degree oven for 35 - 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

OR

Dutch Crunch Bread
    Ingredients:

Cooking Directions:

=== MEDIUM 1 1/2 lb LOAF ===
    3/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon butter or margarine -- melted
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    === DUTCH CRUNCH TOPPING ===
    2 teaspoons sugar
    5 teaspoons active dry yeast
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    6 tablespoons white rice flour
    1 teaspoon salad oil
    1/3 cup water -- warm

Place all ingredients (except the topping ingredients) in your machine in the order specified by your machine's manufacturer. Select the basic or white cycle and press start.

While the machine is working, in a large bowl stir together all the ingredients for the topping and cover and let rise in a warm place. When the machine is on the start of its last rise, stir the topping mixture and spread the topping over the dough. Allow the machine to finish the final rise and bake.

When the machine is finished, remove the bread to a wire rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.

Salad oil is a catch-all name for any edible vegetable oil that might be used in a salad dressing. So your non-specific recipe lets you use the equally non-specific vegetable oil, or corn oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, canola oil, peanut oil, a light olive oil, or any other fairly bland vegetable oil you can find.
  • Happy_Hedgehog
    Options
    I had a go at the rice flour tiger topping, it came out looking right (if a little on the dark side) but it does NOT taste of tiger topping in the slightest.
    Having done some research I found a data sheet for a commercially available (in 12kg bags!) ready to use Tiger Wash, took a look at the ingredients, no sesame to be seen, not even used in the factory!

I was going to post a link but was not allowed as a newbie :(, but try this by adding http to the start of the line below-

://gbr.bakels.com/uploads/products/gbr/en/CDD-413010d.pdf

So perhaps the secret is in the Malt Flour and Malt Extract that are listed (Marmite contains Yeast extract so maybe not ideal?) I remember enjoying spoonfulls of malt extract as a kid, but perhaps the dried stuff would be worth a try in the rice flour mix. Also the liqiud content is veg. oil and not water, perhaps this explains the soft chewy texture of the bought tiger top. I will give it a go next time.
  • bakeryboy
    bakeryboy Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 17 October 2011 at 1:30PM
    Options
    While I don't have the exact recipe, I can give a bit more info as I'm a baker in Sainsbury's where we make pretty much the same bread using the same method.

We mix the flour, concentrate, yeast and water and then mould it, then put in the prover until ready to bake. Its pretty much just a standard bloomer. The same batch would have some seed topped or plain ones in aswell.

While its proving we make a mix which consists of a premade concentrate which comes in delivered, a block of yeast and water until you get a reasonably thickish consistency but still liquidy. Then leave it for about 10-15 mins til it starts bubbling and gets a bit thicker. Then either use your hands and smooth it over the top and sides, or we use a brush. Bake in a revent oven (one that shoots steam on the bread at certain times) until done.

Like I said, I can't give you the mix but I looked through here and there was some confusion with people proofing with mix/without, and addding bits in at all different stages.

Hope it helps.

p.s. Our mix comes from Bakels as the poster above me showed but ours isn't RTU and is applied at a different stage
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that bakeryboy... I was always of the impression that the actual bread inside tastes different to ordinary bread too but are you saying that it's just the same as a bloomer but with a paste on the outside?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • bakeryboy
    Options
    Yep, all the bloomers from a batch are sorted when moulding. Seeded ones are dipped in the seeds, plain left as they are and tiger left for the time being, then they go into the provers.

When proved, the tigers are coated and baked so its exactly the same. Of course thats just for Sainsbury's, Asda/Tesco may use a slightly different bread for theirs but I'd imagine not
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    I tried to make some from a recipe I found online tonight and it smells really good but there is only a little amount of cracking... How thick should the paste be and how thick do I apply it? Mine was still quite runny but not so it was dripping down, if you know what I mean.

Kevin
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    Kevie192 wrote: »
    Thanks for that bakeryboy... I was always of the impression that the actual bread inside tastes different to ordinary bread too but are you saying that it's just the same as a bloomer but with a paste on the outside?

Thanks,

Kevin
    bakeryboy's right about the dough all being the same

if you cut the top crust off a tiger roll & eat just the crumb, it tastes like any other supermarket bakery roll

I had someone earlier in the thread offering to take any tiger tops left over from my experiment off my hands :D
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry board guides I have searched and can't find it :o I know we have one here somewhere??
    I was reading MaryAnnes blog from the GBBO and spotted this

http://timetocookonline.com/2011/07/15/tiger-bread/

Might be of some help to those of us who have been experimenting to try and find that elusive taste at home :D
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi D&DD,

I've added your post to the Tiger bread thread so that everyone will be able to find your link.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport