PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Options

Comments

• tigermans
    Options
    Hey, i do a cheap way of making tiger bread its really quick and easy lol and has that distictive smell and taste yom yom.

ok first buy a french stick, which is not fully cooked, you have too cook it in the ovan for 8 minutes.

so to begin with you make the Tiger Paste....

1 1/2 tsp yeast
    65ml warm water (you may need more)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
    60g rice flour

Then cover the bread with this paste, I use a fan heated ovan so the outside cooks faster then the inside on a high heat, omg omg omg, done, i wait for it too cool a little, with this, there is no cracking, which most of you are trying too get but for me, i love that taste off the rice flour combined with the sesame oil. Delicious

i've tried making a bloomer also this way and it worked perfect, better then tesco haha, not sure about morrisons though, they do make some nice tiger bread there.
  • JustJack
    JustJack Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=Swan;28784177

a few pages back I was going to bake the bread with the rice paste topping & paint on some sesame oil after it came out of the oven, but have never got round to it because my flat's been like a building site since I moved in August :(

I am going to have another go at it if my house is ever sorted out, after all the joinery & water supply problems, my landlord's decided to re-wire my flat & it's not very conducive to bread experiments right now, so if anyone else wants to have a go, I'm sure there are a lot of us would be very interested to see the results :)[/QUOTE]

I've just spent a while reading all the previous posts in this thread confident that as this thread started years ago, there was bound to be an answer by now.... and there's not! Some of you were going to try a few things....Swan, did you try the above? What happened? Someone was going to try the malt flour/barley malt....any good?

Supermarket bread, I find, is generally far inferior to good ol' fashioned home cooked stuff but I absolutely love tiger rolls and would much rather make my own, as you all would I'm sure.

Will start experimenting myself, and see what happens! :j
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    JustJack wrote: »
    I've just spent a while reading all the previous posts in this thread confident that as this thread started years ago, there was bound to be an answer by now.... and there's not! Some of you were going to try a few things....Swan, did you try the above? What happened? Someone was going to try the malt flour/barley malt....any good?

Supermarket bread, I find, is generally far inferior to good ol' fashioned home cooked stuff but I absolutely love tiger rolls and would much rather make my own, as you all would I'm sure.

Will start experimenting myself, and see what happens! :j
    hi Jack,
    I was going to try all of the suggestions that I hadn't already had a go at, but I moved house a year ago & there's been so much work getting done my flat's still like a building site :(

but the end is in sight now, I expect to be cooking normally again soon & Tiger Bread experiments are top of my list

we'll all be interested to hear how you get on, so please keep us posted :) hopefully you'll be able to give us some hints & tips ;)
  • JustJack
    Options
    Swan wrote: »
    hi Jack,
    I was going to try all of the suggestions that I hadn't already had a go at, but I moved house a year ago & there's been so much work getting done my flat's still like a building site :(

but the end is in sight now, I expect to be cooking normally again soon & Tiger Bread experiments are top of my list

we'll all be interested to hear how you get on, so please keep us posted :) hopefully you'll be able to give us some hints & tips ;)

Hi Swan! I plan to start experimenting this weekend when I get back home - have been away for a while. Every so often I make a batch of rolls, freeze them then defrost whenever I need one, which is really economical as well as tasty! I tend to only use them for my work lunch.

Now I'm keen to make tiger rolls so am going to start experimenting. I'm keen to resolve this problem - if the supermarkets can do it, so can we!

Of course, I will come back with any observations and results. The answer is out there! :)
  • JustJack
    Options
    Well, I finally found some time to have a go at my first try at tiger rolls!

I decided to try the Delia Smith recipe but made one batch of paste using olive oil and the other with toasted sesame oil - I couldn't find any in my local supermarket which wasn't toasted. Oh, and the only rice flour I could find was a huge bag which cost £2 - seeing as I don't need it for anything other than this paste, there was no point me buying that so thought I could use something else.

As it turns out, I made my own rice flour following instructions found online - great fun and didn't cost me anything!

Anyway, the end results were good but definitely not like the tiger taste we're all after. Good tip from Delia was cooking at 240 degrees C for 10 mins then 10 at 200 - that browns it really well and helps make it crunchy.

With the paste, I followed the instructions i.e. to make up then put to one side, but when I came to use it the flour had soaked up the liquid and I had to add more water.

Also, I'm not sure what consistency the paste should be - with one lot I used a knife to cover the rolls, the other I could use a brush but this one was too runny and didn't work very well - unfortunately this was the one with sesame oil.

Therefore, next time, I think I'll make the paste at the last minute otherwise too much water dilutes the flavour - I don't see why it needs to sit for any length of time. Also, not sure why yeast is needed in the paste, so might try one paste without yeast next time.

I bought another few tiger rolls yesterday from Morrisons and had a good whiff, trying to work out what's in there....I think the answer is in the oil, but I don't think it's sesame oil. I think they use more oil than in Delia's recipe.

Lots of things still to try...meanwhile, lots of lovely rolls to eat! :D
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    hi Jack,
    thanks for the update :)

I wondered why the rice paste had yeast in it too, because there's no gluten for it to work on :think:

I've always thought it was sesame oil & am sure I saw it on a label in one of the supermarkets a long time ago, but maybe it's one of the other highly flavoured oils? I have hazelnut, walnut & avocado among others, so I'll probably produce some weird & wonderful efforts on the way :D

I'm almost at the stage where I can use my kitchen properly again & will be having a go at figuring it out once the workmen are finished, but you sound as if you've got the bit between your teeth & you'll probably have solved the mystery by then ;)

keep us posted, it's been good reading about your experiments :)
  • JustJack
    Options
    Hi Swan!

Yes, definitely have bit between my teeth - I love cooking and am good at problem solving so this is perfect for me. Will not stop til I work it out or someone else does!

You have a good selection of oils for sure! Would also be interested to hear how you get on when you get back to enjoying your kitchen again.

It will be a while til I have another go cos my rolls last quite a long time but can't wait to try out some more things like not using yeast in the paste, using plain flour instead of rice flour, and I want to get some malted yeast extract and see what that smells/tastes like. Also will try using veg oil next time cos I reckon I smelt it on the Morrisons tiger rolls.... What are you going to try?

Is anyone else working on this?
  • ASC
    ASC Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I had a go at this a while ago. I used the rice flour, yeast and sesame oil recipe from here. I made two large rolls/small loaves and painted the paste on one of them, well actually my 2 yo daughter did and got quite carried away so I'm not sure how representative the results were!

I found that the "tiger" roll didn't rise as much as the other which affected the density of the bread. It smelt right and apparently tasted ok (I can't stand the stuff but DH adores it!) but it didn't look right - it didn't colour up and didn't have a crackly glaze at all. That may have been due to the rather excessive amounts of paste though...

I shall be trying again, maybe a mix of normal flour and rice flour next time to give the yeast something to do? Wont be for a couple of weeks though, DH is away atm.

A x
  • JustJack
    Options
    Hi ASC

Funny, because I got the look right on my rolls no problem but the smell was quite ordinary, nothing like the supermarket stuff. The texture was definitely crunchy, they taste nice but it's the smell and flavour that's missing!

I also want to vary when the paste is added to see what happens - last time I added it after about 30 mins then let the rolls rise for another 20 or 30 mins...this seemed to give the right effect....would I get the effect if I just add the paste before chucking them in the oven? Don't think it's right to add the paste before leaving them to rise for some time first but I don't know for sure.

Oh, and above I meant I wanted to experiment with malted barley extract, not malted yeast extract! Doh! It appears to be a substitute for sugar, but whether it does anything else substantial, I have no idea.

If you do any more experimenting, please share your results!
  • Badrick
    Badrick Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Read this thread a while back, and today while aimlessly browsing for Naan-e sangak stone-baked bread, I came across this Tijgerbrood and wondered if you were still looking for the tigerbread recipe.

http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2006/09/cooking-school-dutch-crunch-bread.html

Hope I'm not revisiting old ground with this, but with 150 posts on this thread, apologies if I am.
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport