63 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Brilliant! Thank you!
  • aliasojoaliasojo Forumite
    23.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Useful but faulty.

Under the 'Current Top 40' tab it has Cliff Richard, Barbara Streisand and Vera Lynn in the top 10. That can't be right surely. :p:rotfl:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Looks good to me. Shame that there's very little in mainstream music that interests me though... :o
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks for all the feedback so far - to answer some of the questions

"there doesn't seem to be anything but mainstream pop artists of the last five year."

Thats because as noted the tunechecker currently spans all top 40 singles and albums of the last five years - we're working on including more but to scrape whol ecatelogues causes access errors and we need the site to work fully and see if people'll use it before we make that huge investment

Some folks might think it's cheeky that the default purchase is always from amazon (after you have listened to a sample), but I guess that's the price you pay for using amazon's player, eh?

Yes it is the price - though i think we do need to communicate back to people to scan prices afterwards - good suggestion.
    is MSE getting a kickback on sales? Of course, you will be declaring it, if so :)

As always we put the providers in and list irrelevant of links. But you'll see the usual stars are already in there - and the explaination of affiliate links at the end

Is this site supposed to be independent? If so, why does it have so many links to MoneySavingExpert (like the site map)? If not, why does the sitemap not include the tune checker page?
    No as it says top right its brought to you by MoneySavingExpert.com much like www.travelmoneymax.com is.

Its not in the MSE site map yet as its a test site.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Honestly?

First impressions count... and for me, it wasn't obvious. I got it after a couple of seconds, but initially, the colours, the business of the page, the information that is all there made me close the window. And this may sound harsh... but it looks like a site with multiple adverts.

The question is... what is the site for? Are you to simply use it for users to find the cheapest song online or is it a portal for all the other information.

I like the font... a retro 80's look. I like the search box in the middle. To me... it looks like a MP3 player (or even a certain phone...). But I do NOT like the bits around it. The moneysavingexpert box on the right is too big.

Personally, I would save the top half of the screen for search box. And have nothing around it or near it.

I would then put the info/help stuff below. But use single words to showcase the help and a onmouseover event to show the information contained. Whilst I believe you do not want to 'rip off' the google site/page, I do think that that would be a better way forward.

But then... this is personal preferences and not everyone is the same.

However, now I know about it, I would certianly be interested in the site to see if I can buy my music cheaper.

BB
  • mike_patersonmike_paterson Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Looks great - works well and is very fast too.

would be good to be able to select download or physical disk as options, or at leat to show which are which

I look forward to it going liive alongside dvd, games, software ..... :)
    To infinity and beyond!
  • JG007JG007 Forumite
    76 Posts
    Music is not a problem, there are 100's of ways to get it legally and cheap online . it is video's that I cannot find for a decent price online :(
  • Positives:

Great idea, easy to use, and seems to work well in terms of extracting the correct data from the database and presenting it in the correct order. It would be interesting to find out how responsive the site is to changes in vendors pricing as I can imagine these fluctuate somewhat (and if they don't they surely will once this site is widely utilised which I'm sure it will be).

Less positives:

I find the layout over the top in terms of surrounding distractions. When you realise that the only thing you really need is a text box, it seems bizarre to crowd it out by noisy boxes, shadows, highlights, glowing panes, text over semi-transparent images everywhere. I thought this kind of web-design went out of fashion with Web 1.0. I just find it looks a bit 'school project'y.

I think it would also be nice to have a bit more info on the results page (and maybe make this section larger (both width and depth) to incorporate information like: Release Date, Bit Rate, File size. Also I don't find having the artwork at this stage adds anything really at this stage. Also if it's an album maybe have the no. of tracks (to get a rough idea of the minimum cost per track)

On the detailed information pane (where you can have the artwork) you definitely need the no. of tracks and a link to a track listing somewhere (like Amazon).

Also where no price information is available for more than one store I recommend simply hiding these as they add no value, and appear to rank stores higher than others for no real reason.

I hope you find my comments useful - I have tried to be constructive. I think the potential is there (assuming the database is high quality and responsive to price changes) however at the moment it does look like one of those sites where you think - is this one of those scam/cyber squatting sites (due to poor design) which lets it down somewhat.
    Russell
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    Forumite
    I hope you find my comments useful - I have tried to be constructive. I think the potential is there (assuming the database is high quality and responsive to price changes) however at the moment it does look like one of those sites where you think - is this one of those scam/cyber squatting sites (due to poor design) which lets it down somewhat.

We find all comments useful - we're two weeks from launch so this feedback is important - there's a lot of small tweaks to design we want to do - so its interesting to see what track we're on before we go further.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • malkie76malkie76 Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    As others suggested, the website is too busy on the front page. The side bars distract from the purpose of the website.

Some of the link-throughs are inaccurate (ie you click on one album but it takes you to another). That's most likely an issue with the third party, however it prevents your website working properly.

Are you getting comission for the link-throughs ?
    Legal team on standby
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals