PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Chicken Stock Gone Like Jelly

Options

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    The whole point of making your own stock from bones is to extract the collagen and other nutrients like niacin, fiboflavin, and calcium from inside the bones. This is why long slow cooking is needed to maximise the extraction of calcium etc. from the bones.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    well the soup tasted fantastic even if a few hours before the started product made me feel ikky

dh said it tasted better than the last one so i must have got it better this time, i still have a huge amount left ideal for the freezer if my family liked it that much
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A stock that turns to gel is a good sign - it shows that you have extracted gelatine from the carcass. Gelatine is a natural part of the bones and is widely used in as a setting agent. In fact, if ever you have to buy gelatine sheets, you'll find they (a) cost a fortune and (b) are very difficult to get.

The easiest source of gelatine is pigs trotters :D

As others have said, it's a sign of a first class stock - well done you! :T
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • voodoozoe
    Options
    I am familiar with the principle of making stock by boiling bones which I usually strain and use straight away to make a soup/stew. I roasted a chicken yesterday and had LOADS of liquid in the pot which I put into a bowl and have cooled and scraped the fat off the top.

I now have a bowl of jellified stuff with bits of chicken in it. What do I use it for??? Should I add water and use it as stock or what???

Please help:D
    Laughing at my ancient signature...voodoobaby now 10 years old:eek:

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    Don't add water to it, you will dilute the flavour. It has jelled because it is good ;) Use it as you would normally use stock, it will liquefy when heated. Alternatively freeze it -my freezer is full of tubs of chicken stock.
  • voodoozoe
    Options
    If it is "good" I might make it into a cream of chicken soup:D. Thankyou Thriftlady x

• nic82
    nic82 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    voodoozoe wrote: »
    If it is "good" I might make it into a cream of chicken soup:D. Thankyou Thriftlady x

Do you have a recipe for the chicken soup please? I'm going to do a roast chicken tomorrow evening and have never kept the stock. I've always let it set and then binned it :o

What else can I use it for?
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    I don't have a recipe for voodoozoe's cream of chicken soup, but like thriftlady says just use it like any chicken stock, only it's much tastier. I use mine in pasta bakes, any chicken sauce, or even just gravy to have with the chicken.

p.s remember to scrape the fat of the top when it's cold.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• voodoozoe
    Options

After posting that I scoured the internet for a recipe and failed to come up with anything that I liked the sound of so I have popped it in the freezer until inspiration strikes:o

• trying-very-trying
    Options
    After posting that I scoured the internet for a recipe and failed to come up with anything that I liked the sound of so I have popped it in the freezer until inspiration strikes:o
    if you had a reasonable amount of meat left, add vegetables to the stock, simmer until cooked, then add the left over chicken voila chicken stew.
    If you don't have a lot of chicken left, just add more veg, cook then add the chicken and call it "hunt the chicken stew" We have that quite often.
    Then if they don't eat all the hunt the chicken stew, just add some soaked broth mix, cooked or frozen veg and some water, voila chicken soup the next night.
    My kids are beginning to hate when they see me with a whole chicken:rotfl:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport